Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New resolution honors Vietnam Veterans across the U.S.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New resolution honors Vietnam Veterans across the U.S.

Washington, D.C. - A new resolution will honor Vietnam Veterans across the nation. The U.S. Senate passed a resolution making March 30th “Welcome Home Vietnam Veterans Day.” Senator Richard Burr introduced the resolution.
    [...]
    FULL ARTICLE + VIDEO - WNCT

Geez, nothing like climbing on the bandwagon while the crowd is cheering. Shame it wasn't passed before March 30, 1974. I'm glad for the support but wish several thousand Vietnam veterans who have already died after coming home had the support when they needed it. Actions speak louder than words.
    Last edited by Trailboss49; 20 Mar 10, 04:01.
    "If you are right, then you are right even if everyone says you are wrong. If you are wrong then you are wrong even if everyone says you are right." William Penn.

Comment

Hmm . . . in answer to our companion thread, "Is the Vietnam War dead as an 'issue'" - obviously not!

-- RR
      www.RadioVietnam.net

Comment

Well they could have made a whole Month instead of a single Day. From March 30 to April 30?

Comment

Originally posted by altus View Post
          Well they could have made a whole Month instead of a single Day. From March 30 to April 30?
          Perhaps you should write a letter to our Senate. Now, THAT would be interesting!

Thanks for commenting on this, Altus. Respect among foes is a good thing.

-- RR
          www.RadioVietnam.net

Comment

Originally posted by RadioResearcher View Post
            Thanks for commenting on this, Altus. Respect among foes is a good thing.
            Well to be all honest I was more alluding to the April 30 date, but as far as the recognition for Vietnam Veterans by Americans goes, I truly wish all of you got the due respects from your own countrymen.

Sincerely,

Altus

Comment

Well to be all honest I was more alluding to the April 30 date
              If you are referring to the fall of Saigon, perhaps this related article sheds light on the choice of date --

“On March 30, 1973, our United States Armed Forces completed the withdrawal of combat troops from Vietnam,” Senator Inhofe said. “Our veterans who served in the U.S. Armed Forces in Vietnam deserve the greatest honor and respect - honor and respect they were denied when they arrived home. I am proud to join my colleagues in support of this resolution to establish a day in honor of the return of all troops from the Vietnam War.”
              Your sentiments on Vietnam vet recognition are appreciated.

-- RR
              www.RadioVietnam.net

Comment

I agree with all y'all. What the heck -- we have Black History month so why not a Viet Nam veterans month? Maybe even our own season for that matter. Yeah, that's it. We need our own season. How about winter -- The Winter of Or Discontent? Maybe Spring -- we were quick to spring into action. Or even summer -- in honor of the Summer of Love. Of course, we could always go for Fall -- to commemorate the fall of Saigon.

Robert, shakin' it up heah boss
                The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated ~ Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by ussfa344 View Post
                  I agree with all y'all. What the heck -- we have Black History month so why not a Viet Nam veterans month? Maybe even our own season for that matter. Yeah, that's it. We need our own season. How about winter -- The Winter of Or Discontent? Maybe Spring -- we were quick to spring into action. Or even summer -- in honor of the Summer of Love. Of course, we could always go for Fall -- to commemorate the fall of Saigon.

Robert, shakin' it up heah boss
                  I nominate Robert our Official Resident Hoot.

"Irreverant humor . . . when you need to survive."

-- RR
                  www.RadioVietnam.net

Comment

Gee, now we are right up there with Ground Hog Day.

Fk it, don't mean nothing. 40 years late incoming for what purpose.
                    "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Altus.....I have gotton more respect from you at times than from fellow americans...................As far as the "welcome home" bullshit....A friend of mine summed it up too well over 20 years ago when they were going to have a parade honoring vietnam vets........".Too Frigging little too frigging late"..............It was too long ago. This is just my personal opinion.

Comment

The date selected is a tasteless choice and offendsive to another group of Americans. Does everything in Washington have to be so thoughtless? As Altus pointed out it could have been worse, but still.........

I agree with Jeff, John and Pat. It is all form over substance. I find it hard to believe that anyone in Washington really does care except a select few.

Comment

I feel the same way that many vets - as commented here - and many others feel - it is an insincere attempt to look good. It is too late. Most of us are old men now. We have already lived through the prime of our life without any recognition for what we did. It hurt my parents, both who are now passed on, and they never saw or witnessed the respect that was deserved. Other parents who lost their sons never witnessed any respect from this nation that we served and they too have passed on, going to the grave without seeing the respect for their sacrifice.
                          Many of our friends who served are passed on and they never witnessed any respect for their service.

The whole thing, to be honest with you, causes me hurt than good. I always wanted it, even recently but now that it has come, my feelings have changed. There is no honor in this attempt.

What matters is that we vets have honor amongst ourselves. To all who served in Vietnam -
                          Last edited by DeltaOne; 22 Mar 10, 11:56.
                          "War is hell, but actual combat is a motherf#cker"
                          - Col. David Hackworth

Comment

Just checked a list of other National _______ Days.

Celebrate National Pig Day

Honor a special pig on March 1st

Geeeee now I really feel humble. Thanks
                            Slient Majority and Screaming Fruit Cakes
                            "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by DeltaOne View Post
                              ..What matters is that we vets have honor amongst ourselves.
                              Well said D1.

Also, what is noticed, and really appreciated are folks like Miss Saigon and Boonie (and many others I have ran across over the years).

Here is a little story 4U.

About 20yrs ago, a new neighbor moved in next to me. They had 4 young kids ranging from about 6 to 13. One Veterans Day I heard a knock on my door. Opened the door and here were these 4 little kids. They handed me a Thank You card and "thanked" me verbally for protecting our country. The little chits brought tears to my eyes.

Last edited by KEN JENSEN; 22 Mar 10, 14:57.
                              1st ID, 1/28th '67/'68 Phouc Vinh & Quan Loi
                              Skirmishes Bu Dop Dec-67, An My, Thu Duc Feb-68
                              Plt. Ldr - CIB, Purple Hearts, Silver Star
                              What we write can be considered to be a reflection of our SOUL providing others to know our CHARACTER.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X