Please help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please help

Hello all, I am new to the site. I am putting together a project for my local VFW and I am in need of your assistance. I am desperately trying to locate the name and purchase a video of a documentary/show that was either on the Military Channel or the History channel about the Vietnam War.

The show/documentary was about the Vietnam War and was portrayed from the "homefront" view point. In that show there was an interview with a woman whose father had died in Vietnam. Her mother never remarried. Her mother later developed cancer. In the interview, the woman described how she brought audio tapes that her father had made in Vietnam to her mother's hospital room and played them for her before her mother passed away.

Can anyone tell me the name of this show/documentary? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Dennis

That show sounds very familar. If I'm not mistaken, I believe the soldier in question was KIA in The Battle of Ia Drang. It was indeed a very moving story.

Comment

This one?

Comment

Originally posted by Boonierat View Post
        This one?

I make that 4hrs 23 mins.

Service delivery from the Booniepedia seems to be slipping.

Regards

Mick

Comment

Gotta be lenient here, question was posted when I was sleeping, got it first thing out of bed though

That said could be a completely different doc Dennis is thinking of...

Comment

Thanks for the replies Boonierat and steelpot. Boonierat, I looked at the one you put up and I don't think that was it, the one I saw was just a year or two ago. The problem is I can't remember the name of the show/doc or exactly which network. I know it was either the History Channel or the Military Channel, but I'm not sure which one it was. I have contacted both networks and the History Channel responded by saying they needed either the name of the show or the exact date and time. Unfortunately, I don't know the exact date and time and the name of the show/doc is actually what I am looking for.

One other piece of possible information. I also seem to remember a segment in that same doc/show where a Vietnam Vet was shown going back to Vietnam to visit the daughter of a Vietnamese man he had killed during the war. This was also a very moving segment and I do believe it was in the same doc/show that I originally referenced in this post. I can't be sure, but I think it was in the same show. I even remember them showing the man getting into a Chevy van in front of his home, on his way to the airport to leave for Vietnam.

At any rate, thank you very much for your quick reply and if you or anyone else has any ideas, please let me know.
            Last edited by DennisMPrice; 16 Mar 10, 11:44.

Comment

Originally posted by DennisMPrice View Post
              Hello all, I am new to the site. I am putting together a project for my local VFW and I am in need of your assistance. I am desperately trying to locate the name and purchase a video of a documentary/show that was either on the Military Channel or the History channel about the Vietnam War.

The show/documentary was about the Vietnam War and was portrayed from the "homefront" view point. In that show there was an interview with a woman whose father had died in Vietnam. Her mother never remarried. Her mother later developed cancer. In the interview, the woman described how she brought audio tapes that her father had made in Vietnam to her mother's hospital room and played them for her before her mother passed away.

Can anyone tell me the name of this show/documentary? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Dennis
              What you describe sounds something like this film:

http://truelives.org/pg_regret.html

Or you could have a look at this list of Vietnam Documentaries:

http://vnwarbooks.com/movies.html#videos

Whether this is it or not, might I offer a bit of advice. You might want to choose the material for your presentation carefully. Most members of the VFW are likely not going to want to see a presentation that has an anti war leaning to it.

Comment

Thanks to all of you for your help. I found the title!!! It was a documentary that aired in 2000 on The Learning Channel called, "Vietnam: Stories From The Wall". The documentary told the story of 4 men whose names were on the wall. First, Richard Fitzgibbon, Jr., the first official American casualty in Vietnam. The documentary goes over how his family fought to get his name added to the wall. Secondly, Dan Ouellette, and his story about dealing with the memories of Vietnam and then finally going to the wall only to see his own name mistakenly listed on the wall. Third, the story of Richard Luttrell, who had taken a photograph from a North Vietnamese soldier he had killed and his reuniting with the daughter of that soldier. Finally, the segment I have been looking for. The story of Layna McConkey who was only 2 years old when her father was killed in Vietnam. She narrates the story of her mother and her mother's dying days in the hospital when she brought in audio tapes that her deceased father had made while in Vietnam. I am going to be contacting The Learning Channel on Monday in a desperate hope of obtaining a copy of this documentary. Once again thanks to all of you for your assistance.

Comment

Glad you could find it, looked it up on YouTube but it isn't there.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                  X