VPAF over Hue - Tet 1968!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VPAF over Hue - Tet 1968!

I was reading Erik Villard's (Tet68historian) monograph about the Battles of Quang Tri and Hue when I stumbled upon this passage that left me bewildered : The VPAF had apparently attempted several air missions over Hue during the battle for the city in February 1968 when you think you've read it all... wonder if anyone heard about similar air missions attempted by the VPAF over RVN during the War?

Originally posted by Boonierat View Post
    when you think you've read it all... wonder if anyone heard about similar air missions attempted by the VPAF over RVN during the War?
    Hmm, thought I had mentioned this already.

Here is a photo of one of those IL-14 crews

The only other bombing missions of the VPAF during the War that I recall was on October 9, 1972 over Long Cheng, Laos by IL-28s, and of course, the AN-2s over Lima 85.

What I heard... a MIG-21 mission to kill Nguyen Van Thieu when he was about to make a visit to the I CTZ in 1973 (or was it 1974)?

Altus
    Last edited by altus; 11 Mar 10, 10:04.

Comment

There's also that story during the battle for Hamburger Hill about a Cobra pilot engaging a Mig-21 in the A Shau.

Comment

There's also that story during the battle for Hamburger Hill about a Cobra pilot engaging a Mig-21 in the A Shau.
        Yeah but that wasn't a bombing mission IIRC.

Comment

Originally posted by altus View Post
          Yeah but that wasn't a bombing mission IIRC.
          Nope I don't recall you mentioning the Il-14s bombing/resupply mission before, sorry if I missed it. I wonder how it got undetected though, quite a daring raid in any case.

Comment

I wonder how it got undetected though, quite a daring raid in any case.
            You mean the raids? Since one of them ended with neither planes coming home it was not entirely clear whether they went through undetected.

Comment

I had read some books and articles about the battle of Hue, but never had read something about the four IL-14 before.

Thanks for share, Boonie!
              Dirige domine cor meum in prelio et doce manus in bello

Comment

Nope I don't recall you mentioning the Il-14s bombing/resupply mission before, sorry if I missed it. I wonder how it got undetected though, quite a daring raid in any case.
                Daring yes, but highly possible since most air defense capabilities in the South were aiming at anti coup attempts by its own air force.

Comment

Being one of those guys flying over I Corps during TET 68, I would suggest that the air traffic was so heavy those guys couldn't find airspace.

RW
                  "Dost thou not know, my son, with how little wisdom the world is governed?" -Count Oxenstierna (ca 1620) to the young King Gustavus Adolphus

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                  X