This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jeffdoorgunnr View Post
    As far as I can surmise your probably correct about it being formed of departing companies.......
    Thanks for the infos Jeff

Do you remember some of the places you flew over in the Delta? The Seven Mountains maybe or the Plain of Reeds? U Minh Forest? the area must have been quite a sight from above

Comment

Hats off to you Boonie for another great thread. As a Nam Vet I deeply appreciate your on going efforts.

JohnS
      "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by Boonierat View Post
        Thanks for the infos Pat, I've added you to the map
        You'll notice I located you at Gia Ray as well, although I'm not sure you spent a lot of time there

There wasn't any 58th Aviation Company in Nam as far as I can tell, I think you might have been transfered to the 57th? this one was at Pleiku - Camp Holloway until departure in March 1973. Here's their website, let me know if it rings a bell:

http://www.57thahcgladiators.com/

If that's not the good one I'll correct the map

You are correct Boonie, it was the 57th. I was stationed at camp Holloway.

Comment

Thanks for the infos Jeff

Do you remember some of the places you flew over in the Delta? The Seven Mountains maybe or the Plain of Reeds? U Minh Forest? the area must have been quite a sight from above
          actually not really........never took great interest in where everything was,or what was where.I spent a lot of time while flying watching for other aircraft{part of my job}.you know "chinook at 4 o'clock low.........cobra at 10 o'clock ETC......I remember flying out over the ocean a few times........ flew over some island pilot said was a large POW camp.Remember flying over some areas carpet bombed by B-52's.......lots of rice paddies........landed on a destroyer once........

Comment

Originally posted by jeffdoorgunnr View Post
            actually not really........never took great interest in where everything was,or what was where.I spent a lot of time while flying watching for other aircraft{part of my job}.you know "chinook at 4 o'clock low.........cobra at 10 o'clock ETC......I remember flying out over the ocean a few times........ flew over some island pilot said was a large POW camp.Remember flying over some areas carpet bombed by B-52's.......lots of rice paddies........landed on a destroyer once........
            I always thought of those as American made swimming pools.
            "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Thanks BoonieRat.

01/69-09/69, HQ 509th RRgrp, Saigon, assigned to Dancer Program

09/69-02/71, TRU (xplt) J2 MACV, (TAREX), Assigned to Saigon but TDY to Phu Bai, Da Nang, Nha Trang, Tay Ninh, Can Tho.

1992-1996 back as a civilian worked ALL over the country

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint View Post
                I always thought of those as American made swimming pools.
                From my perspective... it looked like pictures of the moon

Comment

Originally posted by TRU View Post
                  Thanks BoonieRat.

01/69-09/69, HQ 509th RRgrp, Saigon, assigned to Dancer Program

09/69-02/71, TRU (xplt) J2 MACV, (TAREX), Assigned to Saigon but TDY to Phu Bai, Da Nang, Nha Trang, Tay Ninh, Can Tho.

1992-1996 back as a civilian worked ALL over the country
                  Thanks TRU added you to the map!

Comment

My first enlistment in the Army was 2 Aug 71.I did not serve in Vietnam but the NCO's that trained me as a Cavalry Scout in BCT,AIT and in my first unit,C Trp,2d Squadron,4th Cavalry were all Vietnam veterans.I just want to thank them and all of you that did serve there for your service.You all will always be Heroes to me.
                    If you Ain't Cav,You Ain't S---

Comment

Gulf of Tonkin Sept 69 / June 70 Recon Attack Squadron 5 on board USS Ranger. I took care of aviators flight equipment, parachutes, life vests and rafts, survival gear, etc. The squadron flew RA5C Vigilantes. We never lost anyone but some of the other squadrons did. Mostly A6 Intruders were lost.

Comment

Originally posted by SeaDog48 View Post
                        Gulf of Tonkin Sept 69 / June 70 Recon Attack Squadron 5 on board USS Ranger. I took care of aviators flight equipment, parachutes, life vests and rafts, survival gear, etc. The squadron flew RA5C Vigilantes. We never lost anyone but some of the other squadrons did. Mostly A6 Intruders were lost.
                        Thanks John you're added to the map. Let me know if I got the abbreviation and insignia right

Comment

Thanks John you're added to the map. Let me know if I got the abbreviation and insignia right
                          You got it correct. I'm surprised anyone remembers the RVAH5 Savage Sons, much less our patch. Good work, very well done. As they used to say in the navy "Outstanding"

Comment

This is a fantastic idea.

174th Assault Helicopter Co, 14th Avn Bn, 1st Avn Bde, Lane Army Airfield, Qui Nhon. When I got there, we were one of only three independant companies in I and II Corps area, everyone else was dedicated to the Cav or the 4ID. We had a company tdy to Pleiku (161st) and the 282cnd at Da Nang.
                            tdy Nihn Hoa working with Koreans Jan 1967 - Apr 67
                            detached to Phan Thiet supporting 101st Feb 67 (shot down first time)
                            detached to Nha Trang supporting 5th SF (occasionally)
                            detached to Tuy Hoa supporting Koreans (occasionally)

174th moved to Duc Pho Apr 67 supporting 3rd of 25th (later 3rd of 4th and everybody else that came through Duc Pho) Company later assigned to Americal.
                            Deros Duc Pho Aug 68

Rotorwash
                            "Dost thou not know, my son, with how little wisdom the world is governed?" -Count Oxenstierna (ca 1620) to the young King Gustavus Adolphus

Comment

Radio Researcher,

Great idea and map. Thanks for taking the effort.

Bill

Comment

Boonierat,

Sorry for the slight. I obviously wasn't paying attention and a gentle nudge in the ribs from another member reminded me that you are the originator.

Thanks for putting your time into this map. It is well appreciated.

Bill

Comment

Working...
                                X