should we have been there?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• should we have been there?

I am a political science major college student, and I hear a lot about whether or not America should have been in Vietnam, and I am assuming that many of the guys on here were actually there and I am wondering what you guys think on the issue? I haven't really had a chance to track anyone down that fought in the war and ask them in person, so I thought this was the next best option. Thanks. I understand this is a touchy issue, at least it seems to be from what I have seen. thanks again.
    Run fast, shoot straight.

Re: should we have been there?

Originally posted by Abu Boy
    I am a political science major college student, and I hear a lot about whether or not America should have been in Vietnam, and I am assuming that many of the guys on here were actually there and I am wondering what you guys think on the issue? I haven't really had a chance to track anyone down that fought in the war and ask them in person, so I thought this was the next best option. Thanks. I understand this is a touchy issue, at least it seems to be from what I have seen. thanks again.
    It'd be tough for many to quantify a good answer for you. My father went and I grew up during the Vietnam War. He went not because he wanted to go, but because he was told to go.

I honour all the braves soldiers, sailors, marines and airmen of all nations who went. I can't say that we should have refused a legitimate government's request for help.

Cheers!

Eagles may fly; but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines!

"I'm not expendable; I'm not stupid and I'm not going." - Kerr Avon, Blake's 7

What didn't kill us; didn't make us smarter.

Comment

Re: should we have been there?

Originally posted by Abu Boy
      IMHO, No! We participated in the propping up of regimes far more corrupt and morally bankrupt than any in Hanoi. Diem, Thieu, and others, and their corrupt ministers and officers took our money, our aid and our troops, and then spat in our faces. And our senior officers, diplomats and members of the administration treated them likewise.

As for our Vietnam vets - this is not an indictment of you. More than any, you were the victims of the various Saigon regimes. You fought to aid men who did not care one bit for your lives or your welfare. You followed the orders of senior officers and bureaucrats who were more interested in satisfying the Saigon regimes than in properly and effectively leading you.

Regardless of claims that the Vietnam War "held back the tide of Communism", or that it was "the first domino of Communism domination", it was, in fact a game played by officers and bureaucrats, where the pieces were United States servicemen.

The Communist threat was real, indeed. As real as any malevolent threat ever experienced by mankind. Unchecked, it would well have infected the planet like a cancer. Regardless, Vietnam was NOT a piece in the so-called "domino theory" North Korea? Yes!, Cuba? Yes! Eastern Europe? Yes! But Vietnam? Nothing but a dank, stinking, jungle wasteland, not worth fighting for. That is, other than for those who play with men and nations as though they were mere pawns.

IMHO, those who played at such games owe an apology, a debt unpayable in money or goods, to more than 58,000 dead, and their families; and to the millions of young men who served, to return scarred emotionally and physically to some who welcomed them, others who shouted curses and epithets, spat on them, threw blood at them, others who were indifferent. Never did an American serviceman return to such a contemptible display, to such ingratitude. To this day, our Vietnma vets still have not recieved the welcome, the gratitude, the acclaim that they richly deserve.

Vietnam poisoned American society - turned American against American, in a manner unseen since the Civil War. The scars remain today, indeed may ever persist. In the persons of Martin Sheen, Jane Fonda, John Kerry, the Chicago Seven and others, the politics of division, the welcoming of Communism, and immorality - depravity and hedonism. On the other side, not perfection, not omniscience, but patriotism, honor, integrity, decency. A recognition that our nation has, along with our liberties, a great and heavy responsibility, an obligation to serve as both a beacon to captive nations, and to assist those nations truly committed to democratic, and who request and desire our aid.
      Mens Est Clavis Victoriae
      (The Mind Is The Key To Victory)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
      X