• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aubrey's Pet
    replied
    Re: Re: North Vietnamesse Air Force

Originally posted by hogdriver
    Yes, though its prime deficiency was pilot training. I know that some (all?) went to the USSR for training. They flew the MiG-17/19/21, the Su-7/17(maybe Su-22, but I doubt it) and I heard, though never verified, that they had some Il-28 tactical bombers - doubt they flew while our fighters were in the air. There were a few NVA aces, though I'm not certain how many kills may have been against B-52s or ELINT aircraft.
    Yep, according to Lou Rendall's book "Vietnam Air Wars" they did have Beagles, but they were too scared to use them, especially if they wanted to attack the USN surface fleet. A few Migs that were stupid enough to try were bagged by Talos and Terrier SAMs fired by the ships.

Leave a comment:

• hogdriver
    replied
    Re: North Vietnamesse Air Force

Originally posted by NavySeals112
    I have heard that the NV had some decent Russian aircraft during the Vietnam War, but did it have enough aircraft to have an effect on combat or even stand up the US Air Force?
    Yes, though its prime deficiency was pilot training. I know that some (all?) went to the USSR for training. They flew the MiG-17/19/21, the Su-7/17(maybe Su-22, but I doubt it) and I heard, though never verified, that they had some Il-28 tactical bombers - doubt they flew while our fighters were in the air. There were a few NVA aces, though I'm not certain how many kills may have been against B-52s or ELINT aircraft.

Leave a comment:

• sgreen23
    replied
    Here is site you might find interesting:

http://danshistory.com/airwar.shtml

It goes into detail the kill ratio's, number of downed aircraft, etc. Hope it helps.

Leave a comment:

• Aubrey's Pet
    replied
    Judging by the kill ratios I think the NVAF was more afraid of the US Navy than the USAF.

In fact NVAF pilots were being told by their commanders not to engage "the grey Phantoms".

The USN were the ones who really benefitted from Have Drill, Have Doughnut and Have Ferry programs, instituting FWS or TOPGUN in 1969.

The results speak for themselves:

Navy Kill ration was 12.5 to 1

AF Kill ratio was 3 to 1 or 3 to 2 depending on what is published

Hell, a certain pair of TOPGUN graduates by the names of Randall Cunningham and Willie Driscroll became the war's, and consequently for this war, the Navy's first aces

Leave a comment:

• RichardS
    replied
    Re: North Vietnamesse Air Force

Originally posted by NavySeals112
    I have heard that the NV had some decent Russian aircraft during the Vietnam War, but did it have enough aircraft to have an effect on combat or even stand up the US Air Force?
    Yes. The Mig-21 was a first rate fighter. Mig-17s and 19s in the right hands could be a handful for any fighter. It took the Vietnam War to teach us the value of having guns on aircraft instead of relying solely on missiles. Something our British cousins are forgetting!

To answer the 2nd part of the question. Based on the ROE (Rules of Engagement) than the NVAF was a serious threat. Change the ROE and it was very much less so.

Cheers!

Leave a comment:

• NavySeals112
    started a topic North Vietnamesse Air Force

North Vietnamesse Air Force

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
X