m60 patton vs t54/55

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• m60 patton vs t54/55

what do you think about the matchup between these two tanks?
    "Send Me"

Re: m60 patton vs t54/55

Originally posted by cotterc404
    I think the M-60 wins hands down. The T-54/55 is a good tank as shown by the fact that it is still in service. But one on one; I'd take an M-60 any day. The worst things about the M-60 is height, flammable turret hydralics (later replaced) and complicated commanders cupola.

T-54/55 best points that it was relatively simple, had a good gun and smaller shilouette.

Cheers!

Eagles may fly; but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines!

"I'm not expendable; I'm not stupid and I'm not going." - Kerr Avon, Blake's 7

What didn't kill us; didn't make us smarter.

Comment

As with most weapon systems; it depends on who's doin' the shootin'.
      An experienced crew, used to working together, in a T-54 will win hands down over the M-60 with an inexperienced crew.
      The same appllies to training.
      Scientists have announced they've discovered a cure for apathy. However no one has shown the slightest bit of interest !!

Comment

An experienced crew, used to working together, in a T-54 will win hands down over the M-60 with an inexperienced crew.
        This is absolutely correct!! When the Israelis were asked after the 1973 war if it was the Western tanks and other armaments that allowed such spectacular victories, they replied that even if they were armed with Soviet/Arab equiptment the result would have been if not only the same but perhaps even more of a victory.

Leadership, training, experience, doctrine and C3I are what make the difference between victory and defeat with armament quality the least important of these factors.

Comment

:thumb:
          Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedy. -- Ernest Benn

Comment

Yeah NATO equipment is almost always better than Warsaw Pact. So I'd have to go with the M-60. That 105mm was a lot better than the 90mm Smoothbore.
            101st Airborne Screaming Eagles Rule

Comment

My thought is that it would devolve (as so often) to training and crew. both were essentially first post WWII-generation.
              Mens Est Clavis Victoriae
              (The Mind Is The Key To Victory)

Comment

M60 vs T54/55

The points about training are very pertinent, and ultimately the most important differentiation point.

Getting the 1st shot hit / kill is what everything comes down to.

In terms of the hardware itself - I would say from my experience, the M60 was the one I would prefer to be in - although I never was in a T54/55.

The gunnery optics in the M60 was superior to the T54/55, and the 105mm was very well proven. The technical superiority here would, given equal crews, provided a higher first hit percentage at ranges greater than 1000-1500 meters to the M60 crew.

The M60, with its larger size, was a bigger target, harder to conceal - but was able to take positions that the T54/55 could because the gun could be trained below the horizontal better than the shallow turreted T54/55. This offset some of the advantages of the smaller Soviet AFV.

While the M60 isn't an M1 in terms of crew and vehicle protection, it did offer signifiantly better protection and survivability than the T54/55.

In one lecture I heard in 1977 by some IDF tankers talking about 73 war - a number of T54/55 were kills from glancing blows on the turret setting off their ready ammo. A common kill resulted in the full brew up of the T54/55 - something that did not happen as frequently with the M60, M48, and Centurions of the IDF in combat.

Comment

Found this site if anyones interested.
                  www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/land/m60.htm

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                  X