The Return on ESPN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Return on ESPN

Saw a preview of this documentary yesterday on ESPN. It looked good enough to make a mental note to check it out.

‘The Return’ A Documentary Following Rocky Bleier’s Return To Vietnam Premieres At Steelers Training Camp

LATROBE (KDKA) — It’s been 50 years since former Steeler Rocky Bleier was injured in the Vietnam War and on Thursday, an ESPN-produced documentary following his return to the country premiered in Latrobe.

The impactful 30-minute film took Bleier back to the files of Hep Duc Valley in Vietnam, the site where he was critically injured from bullets and grenade shrapnel on August 20, 1069. The injury occurred when Bleier was on a mission attempting to recover the bodies of nine American soldiers.

This was the first time Bleier returned to Vietnam since returning home from the war and ESPN documented the visit.

“I think that it gives some closure, at least for me, in that whole series of time, the last 50 years of Vietnam and what took place,” Bleier said. “Ultimately the emotional part of coming together.”

Director Jon Fish reached out to Bleier in 2017 and this time one year ago, ESPN reporter Tom Rinaldi was also there to help tell Bleier’s story.

“It’s a special story because he’s a special man,” Rinaldi said. “I think at a time when it’s so easy to find division, this is a story which unifies and which people can appreciate regardless of age, regardless of fandom.”

The film airs Tuesday, August 20 on ESPN 2 at 8:00 p.m.

https://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2019...m-documentary/

"Stand for the flag ~ Kneel for the fallen"

"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer." ~ Bruce Lee

Interesting.
    "War is hell, but actual combat is a motherf#cker"
    - Col. David Hackworth

Comment

"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer." ~ Bruce Lee

Comment

They said he would never play football again...he proved them wrong.

Rocky Bleier: Vietnam War to Super Bowl Champ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOVXrspZ49I
        Last edited by Persephone; 21 Aug 19, 18:38.

Comment

just reinforces why i'll never go back...………..

Comment

I've seen some great documentaries about Australians re-visiting Vietnam. I'm not sure if there is a different dynamic than with US veterans. I got a hint that perhaps we were viewed a bit differently because we were minor players. Certainly the Vietnamese government was fairly accommodating with allowing Australian vets and tourists to visit the memorial at Long Tan.

In any case, it was interesting watching the experiences of those who went back. Some of the vets were really able to embrace the experience and enjoyed meeting some of their former adversaries and revisiting familiar places. Others struggled with it all, which is easy enough to understand (the Vietnamese guys mentioned that some of their former comrades didn't want to be involved, also understandable).

Because Australia is so close to Vietnam and is now a very popular holiday destination (I was fortunate enough to visit over a decade ago), I get the impression that quite a few Aussie vets have returned.

I'm pleased that some people are able to make their peace by going back.
            Human beings are the only creatures on Earth that claim a god and the only living thing that behaves like it hasn't got one - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

I'm all for anyone who returns and hopefully has any kind of a good experience especially if it has any kind of a healing for them. I am just thankful I do not have enough Demons from that war {that I'm aware of} that I feel the desire to go back there. Maybe to apologize to some ARVN veterans...……?

Comment

Dam jeffdoorgunnr your a goodguy,Semper Fi my brother.You make my spirit shine.
                Last edited by hankwill; 24 Aug 19, 07:34.
                The history addict asked me,"Where did you fought?"
                Me...Damn..."I'm not sure."

Comment

Originally posted by hankwill View Post
                  Dam jeffdoorgunnr your a goodguy,Semper Fi my brother.You make my spirit shine.
                  well, at least I helped somebody...…...

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                  X