Rach Kien 1967

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rach Kien 1967

Hunting for info regarding my grandpa, William Bevell. All I have is his citation for his silver star which is posted. He was in the 3rd Battalion/39th Regiment/9th Infantry Division at Rach Kien. I realize I am grasping at straws and I'm not sure really what Im looking for other than someone that's been there at the same time he was. I went to the wall years ago to find his good friend, Arthur Donovan. My grandpa is still alive but he won't talk about anything. I went to Afghanistan in 2012 and again in 2016. War is commonality we share within the family. I guess that's why I'm searching.

Good luck. One of my Grandfathers was stationed in Walter Reed in Washington during WWI. The other was in a deferred job at an oil refinery in WWII. I have to go back to the Civil War to find out if any other ancestors served.

Pruitt
    Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Originally posted by Rjhale1 View Post
      Hunting for info regarding my grandpa, William Bevell. All I have is his citation for his silver star which is posted. He was in the 3rd Battalion/39th Regiment/9th Infantry Division at Rach Kien. I realize I am grasping at straws and I'm not sure really what Im looking for other than someone that's been there at the same time he was. I went to the wall years ago to find his good friend, Arthur Donovan. My grandpa is still alive but he won't talk about anything. I went to Afghanistan in 2012 and again in 2016. War is commonality we share within the family. I guess that's why I'm searching.
      sorry I can't help...……….its a shame he won't talk about it. tell him it needs to be told. might do him more good than he knows...…..

Comment

Lots of vets will not talk about the horror they faced in war, no matter what war they were in. My uncle was often behind enemy lines in Europe during the push into Germany. It was towards the very last before he lost his ability to talk, that the horror he faced came out. Besides being responsible for destroying more church steeples, he called in the artillery that slaughtered a German division. The worst was the day his outfit could smell dead bodies which later turned out to be Jews locked up in cattle cars.

In his hand writing on the back of one of the photos taken from one of the death camps.
        “Breaking News,”

“Something irrelevant in your life just happened and now we are going to blow it all out of proportion for days to keep you distracted from what's really going on.”

Comment

Originally posted by Rjhale1 View Post
          Have you pursued any books about the unit and service period yet?
          "This life..., you know, "the life." You’re not gonna get any medals, kid. This is not a hero business; you don’t shoot people from a mile a way. You gotta stand right next to them... blow their heads off."

BoRG

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
          X