The Battle of Quang Tri during the Tet Offensive

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Battle of Quang Tri during the Tet Offensive

Hello everyone. I have no military background. I was very young during the U.S. involvement in Vietnam and knew very little about it at the time. Because I develop websites for a living and because military subjects interest me, at this stage, I decided to create a website about the Vietnam War. In a way, it's like going back to those younger years and experiencing things again, with better awareness and understanding.

This is an article that I just posted about the 1968 Battle for Quang Tri City. Was anyone actually there, during the Tet Offensive? Constructive criticisms or even positive encouragement would be greatly appreciated!
    Last edited by MrSerious; 11 Aug 18, 11:35.

Originally posted by MrSerious View Post
    Hello everyone. I have no military background. I was very young during the U.S. involvement in Vietnam and knew very little about it at the time. Because I develop websites for a living and because military subjects interest me, at this stage, I decided to create a website about the Vietnam War. In a way, it's like going back to those younger years and experiencing things again, with better awareness and understanding.

This is an article that I just posted about the 1968 Battle for Quang Tri City. Was anyone actually there, during the Tet Offensive? Constructive criticisms or even positive encouragement would be greatly appreciated!
    Hello MS.

I was also very young during that war and was around 10 years old as the U.S. troops were pulling out to end our involvement there. Since watching Ken Burns' Vietnam War series I have become more interested in the subject. I have purchased many books over the last 6 months to further my limited knowledge of the conflict. The Burns documentary is a great starting point.

The Tet Offensive was a military failure for the NVA and VC but it did create a political backlash here in the states as LBJ was spewing propaganda that all was going well over there. So when Tet happened the anti war protesters and even those opposed to the war but not radically protesting were, naturally, wondering how much more lies the LBJ administration were telling the American population. Protests intensified and some protests groups resorted to violence.

If you watched the Burns series you would also know that the conflicts roots started about 45 years before American involvement. Also that American involvement actually started around 1960 under the Kennedy administration with the CIA who was at war already trying to undermine the communist influence in South Vietnam and by 1963 there was already some 12,000 American "advisors" setting up counterinsurgency groups all based on the An Ninh model. There were many "enemy contacts" (combat engagements) 1961-1963.

In late 1961 an An Ninh terror squad had decapitated the Catholic chief of Phouc Long Province. President Kennedy, ignoring troop limits set by the Geneva accords, ordered the "advisors" to South Vietnam.

Is that your site you posted your article on?

A bargain book you can buy in kindle format:

https://www.amazon.com/1968-Offensiv...+tet+offensive

Last edited by Kurt Knispel; 12 Aug 18, 08:34.
    Theo mir ist die munition ausgegangen ich werde diesen ramman auf wiedersehen uns in walhalla

Comment

Yes Kurt, that is my website, and it is still very much a work in progress.

A while ago I came across a letter to the editor of the NY Times from 1992, wherein Kennedy's Assistant Secretary of State for Far Eastern Affairs argues that JFK was opposed to becoming heavily involved in a ground war in Vietnam:

He told several people, including Richard Nixon, that since "the American people do not want to use troops to remove a Communist regime only 90 miles away, how can I ask them to use troops to remove one 9,000 miles away?"
      How Kennedy Viewed the Vietnam Conflict

Comment

Nice website keep it up and running. Thanks for the link I have read it and I will tell you that some of the books I have been reading have repeated that the majority of the advisors (Kennedy administration and when LBJ took over) from 1960-1964, before LBJ sent in the "first land combat troops", were combat troops training in counterinsurgency tactics and engaging the VC in combat. If you want the lowdown on the pre-1965 combat invest in some SOG books written by former SOG team members. Just enter SOG on Amazon.

Also, the first NVA/VC assault on Quang Tri during Tet was a short endeavor lasting just a little over 24 hours as the PANV 812th I.R. was counterattacked and chased from the city. The second battle for Quang Tri June-August 1972 lasted 81 days but the outcome was the same as the ARVN with help from over 5,000 American bomber sorties took back Quang Tri from the PANV who had overrun it during the famed "Easter Offensive" March-April 1972. One of the Easter Offensives better moments was the demolition of the bridge over the Cua Viet River at Da Hong in which U.S. Marine Captain John Ripley, advisor to the 3rd ARVN Marine Battalion single handedly scaled the beams under the bridge hand over hand while placing explosive charges which stopped the advance of NVA armor.

There are a lot of theories on why Kennedy was assassinated. IMHO, We will never know the real truth.
        Theo mir ist die munition ausgegangen ich werde diesen ramman auf wiedersehen uns in walhalla

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
        X