McNamara Line

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• McNamara Line

McNamara Line, an insane plan or just another Cold war solution to the Vietnam war.
    Thoughts and comments?
    It's better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

Line

The Mcnamara line was a long string of outposts alond the DMZ. Mcnamara felt that this line would simply stop infiltrationg NVA units heading to the southern battle campaign. Nva forces merely bypassed these fortifications. The NVA with their 175 mm guns would harass the troops building it. if you ask me the line was pretty much a waste of material. it didnt do a whole lot, except intimidate NVA.
    "Send Me"

Comment

Sept 7, 1967 US Secretary of Defense Robert McNamara announced that a impassable barrier was being created. The McNamara line proposed to cut Vietnam in half with a 600 yard wide barren strip that would extend from the South China Sea into Laos.

By early 1968 it became apparent that it wouldn't work, so with only 10 miles completed constuction of the McNamara line was halted.

Comment

I think I remember reading something about this in Vietnam magazine back in the late 90's. Wasn't there some electronics involved, or am I getting this mixed up with the Morice Line in Algeria?
        Stay Alert, Stay Alive!

Comment

One of the proposals was to cover the area with small minelets and have acoustic senors that could detect any detonations, these sensors would relay information to patrol aircraft that would call in airstrikes on that area.

The Morice line bulit by the french along Tunisian border during the war with Algeria worked with great effectiveness using electric fences and mine fields, they also had sensors that would alarm if an area had been breached.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
          X