Korea-ization of vietnam?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Korea-ization of vietnam?

Still reading Sorley's book and niticed and interesting bit in which seemed that Viatnamization was initially envisioned as leaving an US residual ground and air element in country. At least Abrams was told of the plan on this terms at the start. I think that after Linebacker II (and the mining of the hrbors) Washingont was in position to declare victory and leave a series of enclaves on RVBN with american force in garrison mode and ask for NVA withdrawal. Sir Robert Thompson was of the same mind and accordind to some sources even kissinger pressed Nixon for such a thing, but in the end Nixon preferred to make peace quickly.

I think that while on paper the Guarantee on american reprisal on hanoi violation of the ceasefire was strong, but a deployed in country force would have been better. Said that I envision a reinforce division force maybe the 1st Infantry supported by a mechanized brigade. Probably stationed around pleiku and Quang Tri. The troops would have been kept in garrison mode as a remind to Hanoi.

What you think of that. It was feasible? The US public opinion would have accepted that following a declaration of victory in RVN by Nixon? It would have deterred the North?
    And other suggestions about force and deployment areas?

Arrigo
    the real credit goes to the little ARVN soldier. He is just tremendous, just magnificent. He stood in there, took all that fire and gave it back. General James F. Hollingsworth USA.

Bomben, Bomben, Bomben auf Hamasland!

What you envision as a reminant garrison force would have been good in theory, but politically unacceptable at the time. The USA was tired of the Vietnam conflict and wanted out, President Nixon got out while the getting was good. What was not good was the Democratic treachery in 1975 when they would not stand true to treaties and refused to rearm South Vietnam or allow air or naval power to assist the South Vietnamese.
    "If you are right, then you are right even if everyone says you are wrong. If you are wrong then you are wrong even if everyone says you are right." William Penn.

Comment

probably you are right, yet I am still intrigued by that idea. Simply leaving some ntroops an not engaging them in active operation after having declared victory, maybe would have eased the situation... that thing probably would have even made mor difficult for the dems to renege Nixon commitment in 75, maybe. I still think that part of the failing of the american administrations in vietnam were on bad communication with the home front.
      Last edited by Arrigo; 05 Dec 07, 05:24.
      the real credit goes to the little ARVN soldier. He is just tremendous, just magnificent. He stood in there, took all that fire and gave it back. General James F. Hollingsworth USA.

Bomben, Bomben, Bomben auf Hamasland!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
      X