Help Needed Please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Needed Please!

Calling all Vietnam Vets and experts... i need your help please!

Context...

1967 Late June

A Shau Valley (south of Khe Sahn i think)

5 day action against NVA 7th and 12th Divisions.

Required...

Details of the action and American forces involved please.

I'll give more details as to why i need info, if the above is correct.

many thanks

Gaz

Does this help?
    I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

NOPE!

Ive only very sketchy info...

Possibly the US forces included units from 3rd Marine Div and 101st AB Div... not sure?

Action took place over the last 2 weeks in June 1967.

Gaz

Comment

This any good to you ?

OperationCrockett
        I am not stuck in the 60's and 70's -I choose to live there :)
        "Vision without action is a daydream. Action with without vision is a nightmare."

Comment

Originally posted by Tu Do View Post
          This any good to you ?

OperationCrockett
          Its helpful mate in filling in the picture about operations around Khe Sahn, but still falls short sadly.

Thanks anyway.

I tried going to the USMC history website yesterday but it was down. 3rd Marine Regiment website doesnt have a history or even a contact section, except for marine families. Even the marine Vet organisation only allows ex servicemen on its website.

Perhaps the 101st AB might be better?

Keep trying please if you can everyone, because what little i have suggests the action was both remarkable and ground breaking!

many thanks

Gaz

Comment

Are you sure of the date, place and units? The A Shau was NVA territory in June 1967 after the fall of the CIDG camp the previous year and no major operations were mounted there until April 1968. As for the NVA units, there was no 12th Division while the 7th operated north of Saigon.

Gonna check my operation list after breakfast

Comment

Found an Operation CUMBERLAND, conducted by 1/4 Marines to establish a firebase 17 miles west of Phu Bai to counter enemy build-up in the A Shau Valley.

On June 3, Charlie Company (Co.) left Camp Evans to begin Operation Cumberland. The area of operations was southwest of Phu Bai near Nam Hoa. The primary objective was the improvement of route 547 that began at the south bank of the River of Perfumes and headed west toward the Ashau Valley.

Bravo, Charlie and Delta Cos. One Four left the Cumberland Operation on July 5 to become the reserve component of the 3rd Marine Division at Donga Ha. From July 13 to 15, they participated in Operation Hickory II, a sweep of the area south of Con Thien.

Bravo and Delta Co. returned to the Cumberland area on July 17 while Charlie Co. went to Camp Evans to assist the 2nd Bn 4th Marines with Operation Fremont. Eleven days later, they rejoined One Four at the Cumberland area where they remained until the operation terminated on September 15. Unknown to most of the Marines had been the planned raid into the Ashau Valley by two of One Four's Co.s. The raid, code named Operation Cloud, had been canceled on August 4.
              http://1stbn4thmarines.com/charlie-c...ommand-67.html
              Pictures of Operation CUMBERLAND

Comment

Originally posted by allsirgarnet View Post
                Perhaps the 101st AB might be better?
                The 101st had only its 1st Brigade in the RVN at the time and it operated farther south in Quang Nam and Quang Tin Province with TASK FORCE OREGON, so you can rule it out.

Comment

Originally posted by Boonierat View Post
                  The 101st had only its 1st Brigade in the RVN at the time and it operated farther south in Quang Nam and Quang Tin Province with TASK FORCE OREGON, so you can rule it out.
                  Boon...

Many thanks for the info, and its clearing a few things up!

First that the NVA units were probably Regiments and not Divisions, which supports the figure of around 6-7,000 troops i had for them.

As for 'date, place and units' my friend, its why ive posted as i have done... my info is sketchy at best!

Regarding the territory and the operation, what i have suggests the action came about from an 'insertion' of about 2-3 companies by helo... Marines being a componant of the force.

101st... ruled out as you advise!

Question...

Is there an archive or database regarding all US units in that region on a day to day basis (supply/intel/operations), by which we could nail down where each unit was each day in the last 2 weeks of June?

More info...

The little i have suggests the American survivors of the Op were sent to 'Mitchell Hospital Saigon '... any info on this place... casualty lists perhaps?

7th/12th...

If these were NVA regiments, can their combat histories be traced in any way?

thanks again Boon!

Gaz

Comment

Question...

Is there an archive or database regarding all US units in that region on a day to day basis (supply/intel/operations), by which we could nail down where each unit was each day in the last 2 weeks of June?
                    None that I know of.

More info...

The little i have suggests the American survivors of the Op were sent to 'Mitchell Hospital Saigon '... any info on this place... casualty lists perhaps?
                    I looked up in Where We Were in Vietnam, but nothing in it, only an FSB with that name.

7th/12th...

If these were NVA regiments, can their combat histories be traced in any way?
                    There's very little available in english about the NVA order of battle. I've never read about a 7th Regiment, be it NVA or VC, as for the 12th Regiment it operated in Binh Dinh Province with the 3rd NVA Division, far from Khe Sanh.

Maybe you should tell us more about what you're researching Gaz.

Comment

Gaz
                      This was a little before my time and places tended to rise one year and disappear in a couple. But the only military hospital I know of in Saigon was called the "Third Army Hospital".
                      "If you are right, then you are right even if everyone says you are wrong. If you are wrong then you are wrong even if everyone says you are right." William Penn.

Comment

First off, thanks to everyone for the info!

To explain...

For quite some time i've been trying to research any possible British involvement in Vietnam. By this i mean British Army units and not Aussie or NZ forces.

I'm fairly sure from my research that elements of the 22nd SAS Regiment were actively involved in combat operations.

A new lead which i was asking for help on above supposedly suggested that another force was present, and a best guess would be it was from either the Royal Marines or the Parachute Regiment. It was a detachment from this 'unit' that was supposed to have been present in the A Shau action.

From what you say this looks unlikely according to US sources. I will try to carry on using any Vietnamese sources i can find.

On a brighter note, does anyone have any info or comments on the possible involvement of the SAS in Vietnam?

thanks

Gaz

Comment

Britain Small Wars have a page about that:

http://www.britains-smallwars.com/Vietnam/index.htm

But I think you're chasing ghosts here Gaz, British SAS in Vietnam is a myth imho

Comment

On a brighter note, does anyone have any info or comments on the possible involvement of the SAS in Vietnam?

thanks

Gaz
                            I worked MI in 1972 and so got to look at a lot of what had happened up to that time on all kinds of interesting things. But, I never ran across anything to do with SAS forces there. The closest I can think of is of a couple of former SAS types being employed as mercenaries in that part of the world.
                            "If you are right, then you are right even if everyone says you are wrong. If you are wrong then you are wrong even if everyone says you are right." William Penn.

Comment

There were some SAS officer embedded in Australian SAS, and I think some british army officers in the ATF. and I remember a cntroversy about a deployement of an RN carrier not reporting sual deck operations for some weeks in the tonking gulf after leaving HK leading to some speculations about some covert raid from Fleet Air Arm aircraft. But nothing certain, if you can wait 16 days I will dig my sources at home.
                              the real credit goes to the little ARVN soldier. He is just tremendous, just magnificent. He stood in there, took all that fire and gave it back. General James F. Hollingsworth USA.

Bomben, Bomben, Bomben auf Hamasland!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X