X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remains of 5-man U.S. Navy crew missing from Vietnam identified

ASSOCIATED PRESS

7:41 p.m. October 26, 2007

WASHINGTON – The remains of a five Navy servicemen missing in action from the Vietnam War have been accounted for and were being returned to families for burial, the military announced Friday.

Their airplane disappeared Oct. 8, 1967, while en route from Chu Lai Air Base in Vietnam to the aircraft carrier USS Oriskany. The E-1B Tracer vanished from radar about 10 miles northwest of Da Nang, Vietnam.

The Defense Department identified the crew as Lt. j.g. Norman L. Roggow, of Aurelia, Iowa; Lt. j.g. Donald F. Wolfe, of Hardin, Mont.; Lt. j.g. Andrew G. Zissu, of the Bronx, N.Y.; Chief Petty Officer Roland R. Pineau, of Berkley, Mich.; and Petty Officer 3rd Class Raul A. Guerra, of Los Angeles.
    Bad weather hampered immediate search efforts, but three days later a search helicopter spotted the wreckage on a steep mountain. The location and hostile forces in the area precluded a ground recovery, the Department of Defense said.

Between 1993 and 2004, U.S. and Vietnamese teams investigated the site more than 15 times, excavating the crash site and recovering human remains. More remains were repatriated by Vietnam this year.

Pineau was buried Oct. 8 in Arlington National Cemetery. The dates and locations of the funerals for the other servicemen were being set by families.

Military scientists used mitochondrial DNA, dental comparisons and other forensic tools to identify the remains.
    ARTICLE - SIGN ON SAN DIEGO.COM

glad they are finally going home ..
    owner of the yahoo group for WW1 ,WW2 and Modern TO&Es
    (Tables of organisation & equipment or Unit of action )

http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/TOandEs/

Comment

I hope they get the respect and honor they deserve.
      "If you are right, then you are right even if everyone says you are wrong. If you are wrong then you are wrong even if everyone says you are right." William Penn.

Comment

Their airplane disappeared Oct. 8, 1967, while en route from Chu Lai Air Base in Vietnam to the aircraft carrier USS Oriskany. The E-1B Tracer vanished from radar about 10 miles northwest of Da Nang, Vietnam.
        Does anybody e;se find something strange about this? Both bases are on the coast but then the aircraft was lost over land? IF it was going back to the carrier then it was not direct.

HP
        "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by trailboss49 View Post
          I hope they get the respect and honor they deserve.

Pineau was buried Oct. 8 in Arlington National Cemetery
          "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Thanks for posting this Boonie! I still wear my POW-MIA bracelet from Vietnam and was hoping to see my guy on the list. I still hope to see that Skip Templeton gets to come home one day!

Comment

Welcome home, men.

I, too, was scanning the names, for Thomas F. Riggs. I still have the bracelet, though I haven't worn it since high school.
              "I am not an atomic playboy."
              Vice Admiral William P. Blandy

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint View Post
                Does anybody e;se find something strange about this? Both bases are on the coast but then the aircraft was lost over land? IF it was going back to the carrier then it was not direct.

HP
                I thought the same, maybe they made a short stop at Da Nang AF.

Comment

yes but remember the E-1 tracer was an early AEW aircraft so it may account for the diversion one of the ground control could have asked for help in ID of an unknown or it could have been testing its radar ..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E-1_Tracer

The E-1 Tracer was the first purpose built airborne early warning aircraft used by the United States Navy. It was a derivative of the C-1 Trader and first entered service in 1954. It was replaced by the more modern E-2 Hawkeye in the early 1970s.
                  owner of the yahoo group for WW1 ,WW2 and Modern TO&Es
                  (Tables of organisation & equipment or Unit of action )

http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/TOandEs/

Comment

Welcome home brothers.

Comment

:flag: :flag: :flag: :flag: :flag:

A flag for each family. Welcome home, Rest in Peace. In life and in death - we honor you.

D1
                      "War is hell, but actual combat is a motherf#cker"
                      - Col. David Hackworth

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                      X