Vietnam War museumís design approved

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vietnam War museumís design approved

WASHINGTON - A design panel gave its blessing Thursday to an underground visitor center and exhibit space to accompany the Vietnam Veterans Memorial on a grassy patch of the National Mall.

The 35,000-square-foot Vietnam Veterans Memorial Center is to be built between the Lincoln Memorial and the long, sloped wall of the Vietnam memorial. It will be almost entirely underground, an attempt to avoid overshadowing the wall and to reflect the simplicity of the memorial, with its more than 58,000 names of those killed in the war etched in polished black granite.

"It must convey to all who enter or all who pass by a solemn and meaningful experience that reinforces the monument's poetic impact," said James Polshek, a New York architect who presented his firm's design to the U.S. Commission of Fine Arts.
    [...]

FULL ARTICLE - MSNBC

I think they should leave the wall alone. The addition of the statues after the wall was constructed was good, but enough is enough. If they want exhibits about Vietnam then put them in the Smithsonian near by. The wall does what it is supposed to, honor those who gave all. Any "balanced" exhibit at the site will diminish that effect.

I wish I would have known this was happening. I would have written to Congress expressing my displeasure in the concept. I feel very strongly about this.
    Last edited by Miss Saigon; 19 Oct 07, 10:09.

Comment

Originally posted by Miss.Saigon View Post
      I think they should leave the wall alone. The addition of the statues after the wall was constructed was good, but enough is enough. If they want exhibits about Vietnam then put them in the Smithsonian near by. The wall does what it is supposed to, honor those who gave all. Any "balanced" exhibit at the site will diminish that effect.

I wish I would have known this was happening. I would have written to Congress expressing my displeasure in the concept. I feel very strongly about this.
      I agree with you 100%. It will dimish the wall and that is wrong. This is the first I have heard of it also.

Comment

This has gotten under my skin and is starting to itch like a rash. It is really bothering me. The Smithsonian is within walking distance of the wall. They don't need to do this. The next thing we know they will be drawing up plans for a food court.

I know 3 representatives who are going to hear from me about this come Sunday.
        Last edited by Miss Saigon; 19 Oct 07, 15:57.

Comment

I like to think that I am aware of most things going on that are worth knowing about. I even belong to a Vietnam veteran associations. This Vietnam veteran museum is all news to me. Does anyone have some web site links that gives some background on it?
          "If you are right, then you are right even if everyone says you are wrong. If you are wrong then you are wrong even if everyone says you are right." William Penn.

Comment

Sorry TB, I don't. Today was the first time I heard about it. I don't object to the musium, but I do for its placement.

Comment

i agree 100% with M.S the wall and statues is enough any more its too much .. its like as an outsider in the uk the usa still cant get over vietnam and trying too much to kind of apoligise to its vet`s ,not the right choice of words but you know what i mean ..
              owner of the yahoo group for WW1 ,WW2 and Modern TO&Es
              (Tables of organisation & equipment or Unit of action )

http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/TOandEs/

Comment

Originally posted by thomas.tmcc View Post
                i agree 100% with M.S the wall and statues is enough any more its too much .. its like as an outsider in the uk the usa still cant get over vietnam and trying too much to kind of apoligise to its vet`s ,not the right choice of words but you know what i mean ..
                I think it is more likely that people involved in the wall administration have run out of things to do and are looking for more to keep them busy, useful, and important.

Comment

I wrote my Senators expressing my displeasure over this.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                  X