Amerasian Kids

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amerasian Kids

ANYONE KNOW OF ANY STATISTICS ON HOW MANY AMERASIAN CHILDREN THERE ARE?There's a interesting documenatary called daughter from da nang. That shows the life of a girl now living in the states, but her mother is still in vietnam and her father an american solider she's never met.
    Yes we won
    0.00%
    No we lost
    33.33%
    Yes, but the arvn lost
    0.00%
    iT'S UP FOR DEBATE
    66.67%

The poll is expired.

The estimates I've seen is 50,000, but it's hard to tell. I have an acquaintance from Denmark who helped track my Amerasian daughter and has/had (?) an office in Saigon. He said most all of them are gone (to the States/Australia/France, etc., etc., etc.).

Comment

Not sure why you added a poll on a different topic, maybe you meant to create another thread?

Comment

All I can say about the poll, We didn't win. The politicians wouldn't let us.
        On the other question about the kids, I dont think anyone realy has an idea.
        Jim"Doc" Bruce
        "War Means Fightin and fightnin means killin"
        Nathan Bedford Forrest.
        "Audacity, more audacity and always audacity"
        George Patton

Comment

You might want to be a little more specific if you are only interested in children that are half Vietnamese. My cousins are Amerasian, but not from Vietnam. They are half Japanese. My uncle was in the Navy forever and met my aunt overseas. I think they were 7 before they ever saw the US, but that might not be correct. I was very young when they came home.

Comment

The story of Amerasian children in Vietnam is a tragedy beyond proportions. Those that could not get out at the end of the war were treated horribly by the wonderful comrades. They were denied ration cards and official statis. So in order to survive they had to be taken in by genrous and caring people who had to sacrifice their own meager rations to share with the Amerasian child because they got no extra for having another mouth to feed. When the children grew up they couldn't get jobs because they were non entities. They had to live on the fringe of what was already a Communist created poverty.

What the Comrades did to these poor people was Horrible. Of course what can you expect from beings with no conscience, human decency or soul?

Comment

MS - Thanks for your continued insight on these types of matters. We had heard that these ones, along with their mothers were treated as outcasts and received harsh, unfair treatment. How can a mere young child be held accountable for something they had no control over? Makes me mad!!!
              "War is hell, but actual combat is a motherf#cker"
              - Col. David Hackworth

Comment

It makes me mad too. Mad and very sad. As you said, how can someone hold children responsible for the something they don't like about others?

Comment

Racism is equal opportunity oppression.
                  It is not necessarily a government institution. It requires participation by a poplation to be really effective.
                  By the end of the war much of South Vietnam was functioning at the parasite level.
                  It had been a 85% agrerian nation. This was eliminated in a stroke with the relocation/strategic hamlet programs.
                  This was concieved to deny resources to the guerillas.
                  A huge amount of the population was moved into controlled areas where the basic way to make a living was the black market, prostitution, working on the military bases, or for the government.
                  Their were legions of civilians employed on the bases-shoeshines, costruction, house keeping, whatever.
                  Major amounts of food were imported instead of produced.
                  Our withdrawal created a void that was considerably expanded with the collapse of SVN.
                  VN was truly a dismal place to live-remember the boat people?
                  The weakest are always the most vulnerable and orphans have always held a high place in that order.
                  The Amerasian kids suffered badly, followed by the black amerasians.
                  Being in their mid-late 30's and older I wonder how they fare today.

99% of these unfortunate souls did not come from any relationship beyond the anonymous and ubiquitous 500P short-time. Nobody is going to come knocking at your door.
                  This aspect is common most anywhere there has been a military endeavor.

Comment

How people treat each other in the USA is a lot better now than 3 decades ago when I was in the military. There were some real battles between races in some bases, and both sides were as bad as the other.

Even today it still exists. I will have people who do not know me well start castigating American Indians and then I will start asking very pointed questions at them. They tend to believe the few of us who are still alive exist chasing rattlesnakes and making arrowheads. If we make up 2% of the USA population that means there's about 6 million of us working, going to school, paying taxes and taking vacations. They find it hard to believe a professional with a couple of college diplomas on his wall, a veteran, a lecturer and an author of scientific articles can actually be an "Indian". I've even been told that I'm not an Indian because I don't "look" like one. My response is, "And just what the he!! does one look like?" So, mainstream society is a whole lot better than the 60s and we should pat ourselves on the back, but there are some who still have a long way to go.
                    "If you are right, then you are right even if everyone says you are wrong. If you are wrong then you are wrong even if everyone says you are right." William Penn.

Comment

Some soldiers tried to bring their girlfriend and baby home but could not. Others didn't care. Some never knew they were even going to be dads and probably have never found out. Some thought they would come back and get their loved ones.While others chased every skirt that still had a heart beat but not much else.
                      "War is hell, but actual combat is a motherf#cker"
                      - Col. David Hackworth

Comment

Originally posted by DeltaOne View Post
                        Some soldiers tried to bring their girlfriend and baby home but could not. Others didn't care. Some never knew they were even going to be dads and probably have never found out. Some thought they would come back and get their loved ones.While others chased every skirt that still had a heart beat but not much else.
                        Yep, saw all that and more. We had a sergeant in our unit who went to lengths to adopt an orphan Vietnamese when I was there in 1972. He finally completed all the paperwork, paid all the fees, etc. On his last day there he went to the orphanage to pick the baby up and take her home with him on the Freedom Bird. I got a call from him, the Nuns were demanding more money from him before they would let her go with him and he asked me to help him. "Sure", I said, "be right there with what you need." I held the Nuns at gunpoint until the plane was over the Pacific.
                        "If you are right, then you are right even if everyone says you are wrong. If you are wrong then you are wrong even if everyone says you are right." William Penn.

Comment

Originally posted by trailboss49 View Post
                          Yep, saw all that and more. We had a sergeant in our unit who went to lengths to adopt an orphan Vietnamese when I was there in 1972. He finally completed all the paperwork, paid all the fees, etc. On his last day there he went to the orphanage to pick the baby up and take her home with him on the Freedom Bird. I got a call from him, the Nuns were demanding more money from him before they would let her go with him and he asked me to help him. "Sure", I said, "be right there with what you need." I held the Nuns at gunpoint until the plane was over the Pacific.
                          Bad nuns! Bad nuns!

I never thought I would condone threatening to shoot nuns, but they had it coming!

Comment

Originally posted by trailboss49 View Post
                            Nuns or not, they did not serve God but their own interests. You did the right thing. Did you get in trouble?
                            Flag: USA / Location: West Coast

Prayers.

BoRG

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtsX_Z3CMU

Comment

Originally posted by salinator View Post
                              Nuns or not, they did not serve God but their own interests. You did the right thing. Did you get in trouble?
                              We did what we had to do under the circumstances. No one had the money they were demanding and we sure weren't going to let our buddy leave 'Nam without his little girl that he doted on so much and did so much work to get. So, they took him to the airport and left me with a jeep at the orphanage. Once his plane took off they called me and let me know.

To be truthful I do not think the Nuns wanted the money for themselves, I think they probably would have put it towards their monastery and/or orphanage, but the fact was they were paid all the up front money they could legally ask for.

I did wonder when I left them if I would get in trouble, but they knew that they were breaking the law too so everyone would have been in trouble if they had squealed on me.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X