Snakes in Vietnam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snakes in Vietnam

Were Snakes ever a problem while out in the bush?

If you ran into one yes. But they were also on the bases. I ran into a bamboo viper once. Small bright green snake and very deadly. Also ran into a king cobra. Not fun at all.

Comment

3 step snake

What kind of snake is the notorious 3 step snake i hear veterens speaking of?

Comment

Originally posted by bpmoore24 View Post
        What kind of snake is the notorious 3 step snake i hear veterens speaking of?
        Could be the bamboo viper I was talking about. Bright green and only about a foot long. Very deadly. Not sure if that is what they called it. I always heard it called the two step.

Comment

Bamboo Krait was the little rascal. The "krait" was supposed to mean two or three step, in Montagnard, Thai, Cambodian, Laotian, etc. Take your pick. The implication was that was how long you had to live once bitten.

Old saying in Viet Nam: There are one hundred types of snakes in the Nam. 99 of them are deadly poison and the last one just eats you whole.

I can't verify but one or two of the poisonous ones, but I met that last big SOB face to face.

GG
          Last edited by Grognard Gunny; 09 Oct 07, 17:14.
          "The will of a section rooted in self interest, should not outweigh the vital interests of a whole people." -Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain-

"Fanatics of any sort are dangerous." -GG-

Comment

There were kraits and bamboo snakes, huge cobras, pythons and many others.
            I remember several locals being bitten by "Russell's vipers".
            They were able to get the serum or whatever it was to them before they died.
            Even though we had a refrigerator, the medic was not authorised to maintain this stuff on site.
            Never heard any real life stories about Mr one-step or two-step.
            There were lots of small crawling nasties about.

Comment

Okay, I have story for you. Me and another sergeant were out with some ARVN walking around the triple canopy not really seeing or finding anything (which was quite all right) and lunch time came so we stopped to eat and then had a short siesta.
              I woke up when "Jake" began poking me in the ribs with his M-16. I looked over and there was a little green 2 Step curled up on Jake's chest. I said, "Hey Jake, you got a 2 Step on your chest." Needless to say Jake already knew this, which is why he woke me up. The ARVN started to gather around us. "Jake, you want me to get it off you?" He wouldn't talk but he'd shake his head up and down a little. "Jake, I'm a pretty good shot, I bet I could shoot that thing off of you." Now, a projectle going at supersonic speed less than a hair's breath away from his chest did not appeal to Jake so he signaled no. Now the ARVN started talking to me. Jake didn't understand Vietnamese. "Jake, if I get that snake off you without either of us getting bit you have to buy me a steak dinner in one of those French restaurants in downtown Saigon". Now that got Jake all ticked off but he had to agree to it. I then just reached over, picked the snake up and threw it away. It seems that our ARVN buddies had found it while we were asleep, killed it and then curled it up on Jake's chest as a prank. I'm sure glad they picked Jake and not me.
              "If you are right, then you are right even if everyone says you are wrong. If you are wrong then you are wrong even if everyone says you are right." William Penn.

Comment

Originally posted by trailboss49 View Post
                Okay, I have story for you. Me and another sergeant were out with some ARVN walking around the triple canopy not really seeing or finding anything (which was quite all right) and lunch time came so we stopped to eat and then had a short siesta.
                I woke up when "Jake" began poking me in the ribs with his M-16. I looked over and there was a little green 2 Step curled up on Jake's chest. I said, "Hey Jake, you got a 2 Step on your chest." Needless to say Jake already knew this, which is why he woke me up. The ARVN started to gather around us. "Jake, you want me to get it off you?" He wouldn't talk but he'd shake his head up and down a little. "Jake, I'm a pretty good shot, I bet I could shoot that thing off of you." Now, a projectle going at supersonic speed less than a hair's breath away from his chest did not appeal to Jake so he signaled no. Now the ARVN started talking to me. Jake didn't understand Vietnamese. "Jake, if I get that snake off you without either of us getting bit you have to buy me a steak dinner in one of those French restaurants in downtown Saigon". Now that got Jake all ticked off but he had to agree to it. I then just reached over, picked the snake up and threw it away. It seems that our ARVN buddies had found it while we were asleep, killed it and then curled it up on Jake's chest as a prank. I'm sure glad they picked Jake and not me.
                That's horrible

Comment

Originally posted by Miss.Saigon View Post
                  That's horrible
                  Horrible? Well, I'm sure that Jake thought so. It was just some GI humor that you pull on each other to keep from going nuts.
                  "If you are right, then you are right even if everyone says you are wrong. If you are wrong then you are wrong even if everyone says you are right." William Penn.

Comment

If you ran into one yes

I like ARVN humour aswell
                    I am not stuck in the 60's and 70's -I choose to live there :)
                    "Vision without action is a daydream. Action with without vision is a nightmare."

Comment

"Grunts" (in any war) typically delve into a type of "gallows humor" that would make "polite society" cringe. Which is why a lot of perfectly good "Sea Stories" have to remain untold to civilians.

Incidently, "Sea Stories" is a Navy/Marine term. The difference between a Sea Story and a Fairy Tale is: A Fairy Tale begins "Once upon a time..." and a Sea Story begins "This is no Sh**, but....." LOL!!
                      "The will of a section rooted in self interest, should not outweigh the vital interests of a whole people." -Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain-

"Fanatics of any sort are dangerous." -GG-

Comment

I guess you could call it 'bush humor' although if it happened to me, I probably would have had a massive coronary. I HATE SNAKES! I came across a many of snakes and thankfully had no run-ins with them.
                        "War is hell, but actual combat is a motherf#cker"
                        - Col. David Hackworth

Comment

One day the Captain decided he needed volunteers to cut back the brush from the flight line and you know how that goes. Anyway, I was one of the 'volunteers'. We were in a line and hacking down the tall grass when the guy to my right suddenly screamed like a girl (sorry to all the women here and to you especially MS) and took off running. The rest of us didn't have a clue why he ran, so after we finally calmed him down he told us what happened.

He was cutting the grass and on his last swing he felt more resistance than normal. He stopped cutting the grass and looked to see what it was. That is when he screamed and ran. What he saw was a Cobra with its head and about a foot of its body laying next to the rest of it.

The thing is, the cobra had to have been ready to strike to have that much of its body severed.

Needless to say, all of us reported to the captain and politely declined to continue. The captain agreed with us.

Comment

I think the Bamboo Vipers, like Coral Snakes have to "chew" a hole in a spot like between your toes.
                            I just remembered the big red ants. They were found mostly in bamboo thickets and hurt beyond belief if they got you.
                            We would be crawling thru this stuff on hands and knees, and there would be hundreds of them going about their business along some branch.
                            Sometimes one of the 'Yards would wait til his buddy or somebody got beneath one of these and give it a knock and watch the fun, giggling like a little girl.

Comment

Poisonous snakes are either 'vipers' or 'asps'. The vipers are like the cobra or rattlesnake where the fangs are up front. The asps are like the 2 Steps or coral snake, their fangs are in the back of the mouth and the mouths are small, so it is usually a finger or toe they attack rather than an arm or leg. The venom in asps also tend to be much more fatal than vipers.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X