Where Is Boa Loi?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where Is Boa Loi?

I have a medical record that states I was wounded near Boa Loi.

Was on Road Clearing operation either on Hwy 13 (Thunder Road) or on Hwy 1.
    I can't remember which.

Can any of you folks provide me with map coord's or a map showing Boa Loi?

THANKS

KEN
    DO NO HARM
    1st ID, 1/28th '67/'68 Phouc Vinh & Quan Loi
    Skirmishes Bu Dop Dec-67, An My, Thu Duc Feb-68
    Plt. Ldr - CIB, Purple Hearts, Silver Star
    What we write can be considered to be a reflection of our SOUL providing others to know our CHARACTER.

Ken, I think I've found it, Boa is not a vietnamese word but I've found a hamlet called Hoa Loi on TL-2A, the road running between Phu Loi and Phuoc Vinh just east of Thunder Road, I think it might be the one:

Comment

Originally posted by Boonierat View Post
      Ken, I think I've found it, Boa is not a vietnamese word but I've found a hamlet called Hoa Loi on TL-2A, the road running between Phu Loi and Phuoc Vinh just east of Thunder Road, I think it might be the one
      Thanks Boonie
      I may very well be the place! All I'm working with at this time is a scribbled medical form and you know how things got a little mixed up during those times.

I'm still working on my ADVENTURE. I've sent away for $160 worth of Daily Journals. Depending on what I glean from them, I will probably be sending for a few "After Action Reports" I just don't know all the where's, what's and when's that occurred

THANKS

KEN
      DO NO HARM
      What we write can be considered to be a reflection of our SOUL providing others to know our CHARACTER.

Comment

Keep us posted

Comment

Boonie
          THINK THIS IS IT - PLOT DATA TAKEN FROM DAILY JOURNAL LOGS.

[IMG][/IMG]

LOVE WORKING WITH YOU BOONIE - KEN

Originally posted by Boonierat View Post
          Ken, I think I've found it, Boa is not a vietnamese word but I've found a hamlet called Hoa Loi on TL-2A, the road running between Phu Loi and Phuoc Vinh just east of Thunder Road, I think it might be the one:

Comment

Good Job Boonie!!

Comment

Ken, I've downloaded the 1:50 000 map of the area (Sheet L-7014 66313 Ben Cat) from the Texas Tech site, I can send it to you if you want, if you don't have it already:

Last edited by Boonierat; 30 Nov 07, 04:37.

Comment

[QUOTE=Boonierat;808711]Ken, I've downloaded the 1:50 000 map of the area (Sheet L-7014 66313 Ben Cat) from the Texas Tech site, I can send it to you if you want, if you don't have it already:/QUOTE]

DON'T HAVE THESE TYPE OF MAPS BOONIE!

WOULD LOVE TO GET THEM

PLEASE SEND ME THE SITE INFO - EITHER HERE OR MY EMAIL ADDRESS

[email protected]

THANKS KIDDO

KEN
                DO NO HARM

Comment

The Texas Tech website where these maps are hosted is experiencing some problems right now, I'll try again in the morning but in the meantime I'm gonna send you that Ben Cat map.
                  Last edited by Boonierat; 30 Nov 07, 14:53.

Comment

Ken, the Virtual Vietnam Archive at Texas Tech is accessible again:

http://star.vietnam.ttu.edu/starweb/...vva/maps.web#"

In the right column, click on South Vietnam under 'View the Country', a small map of SVN will pop up, all you have to do then is select the province of your choice to access all the 1:50 000 maps of the area (beware though, they saved them in high quality, around 10Mb each, and they take a bit to load).

PS: Did you recieve the Ben Cat map I sent you?

Comment

Maps

Thanks Boonie

Yes I Did Receive The Map You Sent Me - Thought I Sent A Thank You For It - I'm Sorry

Strange Tho - All Them Little Hooches And/or Hamlets Shown On The Map Didn't Exist Along Hwy 2 When I Was There.

Ken
                      Do No Harm

Comment

Originally posted by KEN JENSEN View Post
                        Strange Tho - All Them Little Hooches And/or Hamlets Shown On The Map Didn't Exist Along Hwy 2 When I Was There.

Ken
                        Do No Harm
                        Well I don't know, that map was printed by the 29th Engr Bn in December 1968.

Comment

interesting observation, I am suing the same map plus the TNP chart for my An Loc reserach and the map show many hamlets that weren't mentioned in accounts... maybe they are temporary huts? Maybe the base data of the maps are drawn on pre insurrection french maps when dwelling were more common? Just a thought. Being hooches it's possible they had been abandoned and vegetation reclaimed the area.
                          the real credit goes to the little ARVN soldier. He is just tremendous, just magnificent. He stood in there, took all that fire and gave it back. General James F. Hollingsworth USA.

Bomben, Bomben, Bomben auf Hamasland!

Comment

Originally posted by Arrigo View Post
                            interesting observation, I am suing the same map plus the TNP chart for my An Loc reserach and the map show many hamlets that weren't mentioned in accounts... maybe they are temporary huts? Maybe the base data of the maps are drawn on pre insurrection french maps when dwelling were more common? Just a thought. Being hooches it's possible they had been abandoned and vegetation reclaimed the area.
                            I can't be sure, but the area along Hwy 2A / corner of 1A that I was on had been WORKED OVER (not completely cleared) by Rome Plows for about 100 to 200mtrs back off the road. There were some small hamlets/villages scattered in the area but not as many as shown on the above map Sept 1967. The Journals I'm using nicknamed this corner as "claymore corner".

KEN
                            DO NO HARM
                            Last edited by KEN JENSEN; 03 Dec 07, 13:23.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                            X