Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Impact of Wrong Media

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqayiS3NnuY

You may have seen this report already. It is the first that I've seen.
    "War is hell, but actual combat is a motherf#cker"
    - Col. David Hackworth

Originally posted by DeltaOne View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqayiS3NnuY

You may have seen this report already. It is the first that I've seen.
    First time I had seen it. Thanks for posting it. It is quite right. When I was there in 1972 and writing folks back home what was going on they couldn't believe me because the press wasn't reporting anything on the Vietnam war. The press and the American public was tired of hearing about it and didn't want to hear anything about it, so little was reported in the news even though it was militarily more important than the '68 Tet Offensive.
    "If you are right, then you are right even if everyone says you are wrong. If you are wrong then you are wrong even if everyone says you are right." William Penn.

Comment

From the book "The Battle 100" by Lt. Col(Ret) Michael Lee Lanning page 177, speaking about the Tet Offensive.

"The psychological impact transformed the Communist defeat on the battlefield into a political victory, especially when Walter Cronkite, America's most trusted newsperson, decided to influence his audience, rather than report the event. On February 27, 1968, from the television studios of CBS News, Cronkite struck the deepest knife-in-the-back to the American military that has ever come from a "friendly" source."

"Get three coffins ready" The Man With No Name

Comment

Don't think I have seen that before, but, it was certainly on the money.

A sad truth, the US was just not able to defeat the negativity of it's own media.
        Life is change. Built models for decades.
        Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
        I didn't for a long time either.

Comment

Originally posted by Aries View Post
          Don't think I have seen that before, but, it was certainly on the money.

A sad truth, the US was just not able to defeat the negativity of it's own media.
          The price to be paid for the freedom of the media, I suppose. No choice about that. We don't live in a perfect world, and having a stupid media that keeps getting things wrong, and which is biased, is unfortunately a part of that precious freedom.

Comment

Yes having a free media is important and yes Ogukuo your right it does have its drawbacks in that sense but the media have now got this kind've holier than thou reputation where they can criticise anyone with impunity because they are the media and I'm always seeing people on the defensive with them all the time. They're just people that talk about what other people do for gods sake not the holy trinity.. When necessary, politicians, military or anyone else for that matter should tell them where to get off when they're talking crap or asking idiotic irrelevent questions. Im not Clintons biggest fan by any means but I loved his style when he gave that journalist a pasting during an interview on the fox network. Others when appropriate should do the same because at the end of the day and I reckon some vietnam vets could well agree with this, the media during vietnam (Cronkites famous monologue was devastaing domestically/whilst encouraging the communists no doubt and what had he done?; spent a few days over there and thought he knew it all)and probably now in Iraq have cost lives.
            Last edited by copenhagen; 14 Sep 07, 05:57.

Comment

Clinton's bashing of the FOX reporter was ridiculous because the reporter was being accused of stuff that he never did. This only showed what a moron and egotistical snob that Clinton is.

Now, what was really outstanding was when Dan Rather had V.P. George Bush come on when he was running for prez and tried to set him up with supplying arms to Nicaragua. Instead Bush figuratively beat the ears off of Rather and made him look like the dishonorable fool he really is. The attempt at ambush backfired and that 5 minute scene did more to elect Bush than anything else since the Demos were saying he had no backbone at the time.
              "If you are right, then you are right even if everyone says you are wrong. If you are wrong then you are wrong even if everyone says you are right." William Penn.

Comment

Originally posted by Ogukuo72 View Post
                The price to be paid for the freedom of the media, I suppose. No choice about that. We don't live in a perfect world, and having a stupid media that keeps getting things wrong, and which is biased, is unfortunately a part of that precious freedom.
                True, but I agree with copenhagen's post too.

Just as I am more than willing to rip into a politician for thinking just because they were elected, doesn't make their views more important than the trained individuals (especially when expertise means life and death somewhere). I am also more than happy to rip into a news person for blindy spouting off either their opinion of an event, or their presumption that freedom of information means that every f**king loser on the planet absolutely must know their friggin news item.

Freedom of the press means the press should have access to the news.
                I don't think "freedom of the press" has anything to do with spouting off news just to be heard.

But, we live in a capitalist society, and if you can make a buck from something, no doubt someone will want to do it.

The news isn't generally always about my "right to know". It's usually about someone's right to make a buck off of wanting to tell me.
                But I don't generally always "need" to know, or even "want" to know.

And given that I am not really in any hurry to give aid, comfort, assistance, or in any way make the life of people I'd rather see dead, simpler, I think it's time that media got it's f**king act together, and stopped hiding behind my "right to know", especially when it's really just their "need to make a buck" that's at work.

99% of the news on tv is sound bite sized, over inflated, nearly substanceless crap, sold by some pretty boy with a nice hairdo, or a nice rack bimbo that's mostly there because as Don Henley said "they can tell you about the plane crash with a gleam in their eye".
                The news rarely impresses me as being "thorough" and "unbiased".

It seems society is served either outright lies from states that prefer absolute control, or utter garbage, from media sources that free loving states have no capacity to control.
                Sometimes I think there's precious little difference between news in North Korea, and anything from CNN.
                If it's worthless, it doesn't matter if it's a controlled lie, or controlled crap.
                Life is change. Built models for decades.
                Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
                I didn't for a long time either.

Comment

Fair enough trailboss I just watched Clintons performance in itself as an outsider and Im sure your right about Bush snr's performance, I've never seen it. My point about the media still stands though.

Comment

Thats spot on Aries. The news or journalism if it can still be called that is now about business or ratings as opposed to Journalism in itself. News programmes are now run like music videos with whoosh sound effects that accompany graphics and so on. Journalism is now marketed as entertainment rather than the vocation that it should be. Investigative journalism is not seen as the zenith of journalism anymore like woodward and bernstein rather being the gorgeous anchor with perfect hair on the 6' o clock news is.
                    Last edited by copenhagen; 14 Sep 07, 06:20.

Comment

Originally posted by copenhagen View Post
                      Fair enough trailboss I just watched Clintons performance in itself as an outsider and Im sure your right about Bush snr's performance, I've never seen it. My point about the media still stands though.
                      interesting thread this one, have to say i agree with most of it myself, funnyly enough...

I say First Leftenant, drinks are on me in the officers mess!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Ogukuo72 View Post
                        Yes, this is true. However, the problem I have always had with this is that until recently all of the major networks have had the same bias and outlook. One would hope that with media freedom we would see many different points of view, but that was not the case until more recently. Vietnam suffered from this, and continues to suffer today.

Today things are better thanks to the internet, and many different alternative sources of information that did not exist back then. Although most of the major television and newspaper outlets still maintain this same bias they had historically, they at least don't have the monopoly they once had.

Comment

Originally posted by copenhagen View Post
                          Yes having a free media is important and yes Ogukuo your right it does have its drawbacks in that sense but the media have now got this kind've holier than thou reputation
                          Oh I could not agree more. They are full of themselves. "The fourth estate". They think they are the guardians of the truth and the most esteemed of professions. The problem is that much of society buys into this. Think of how many journalists are invited to speak at University graduations and important events. It makes me sick. They are people just like any other. Probably more flawed because they are corrupted by their positions, yet we are supposed to somehow think they are better than normal people.

I have no respect for journalism as a profession. How others do is beyond me.

Comment

IMO, a true journalist is one who is not biased by politics, religion or popular thinking but instead is focused on telling the TRUE story. Sadly, we do not see this anymore. Vietnam was a real turning point for me on my opinion of these people. The battles of Tet 68 proved that most reporters didn't care about truth but instead, were more interested in coddling the leftist, antiwar view. To have told the truth, they must have felt this would undermine the leftwing propaganda.
                            Truly sickening to see how they abused their position of trust. As far as I am concerned, Walter Conkrite might as well have been paid by the NVA. I HATE HIM TILL THIS VERY DAY!!!! In my mind, he was a turncoat.

D1
                            "War is hell, but actual combat is a motherf#cker"
                            - Col. David Hackworth

Comment

Originally posted by Miss.Saigon View Post
                              Oh I could not agree more. They are full of themselves. "The fourth estate". They think they are the guardians of the truth and the most esteemed of professions. The problem is that much of society buys into this. Think of how many journalists are invited to speak at University graduations and important events. It makes me sick. They are people just like any other. Probably more flawed because they are corrupted by their positions, yet we are supposed to somehow think they are better than normal people.

I have no respect for journalism as a profession. How others do is beyond me.

Couldn't agree more. Unfortunately, "Weekly World News" is no longer published. The journalists who go to speak at graduations can't even compete with the people who used to write for "Weekly World News." I also have little respect for journalism, or most who do broadcast news.

"Get three coffins ready" The Man With No Name

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X