How Did VC Tax Collectors Operate?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Did VC Tax Collectors Operate?

One of the aspects of the war in Viet Nam that gets pretty scant attention in my opinion is the question of how did the Viet Cong fund their operations during the war? From what I've heard from countless veterans it wasn't pretty. Can anyone here provide some detail, and more importantly, statistics on the subject?
    I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Originally posted by slick_miester View Post
    One of the aspects of the war in Viet Nam that gets pretty scant attention in my opinion is the question of how did the Viet Cong fund their operations during the war? From what I've heard from countless veterans it wasn't pretty. Can anyone here provide some detail, and more importantly, statistics on the subject?
    Statistics? No, doubt if you will ever find much there, it was an illegal operation, I mean, it would be like collecting taxes for mainland China while in Europe.

Generally the communist commisar (political officer attached to every batallion) would set the amount to be collected and where it would be collected. The villages would be informed of when this would be expected. Many times the tax was taken as food rather than as money.

There was one individual who was the actual tax collector and it was his responsibility to get these taxes. Often the villages would not cooperate. In reality this was really nothing more than the mafia in the USA doing the 'protection racket' scheme. Then the VC cadre would come in, beat up some elders, rape some women, decapitate the Chief, eviserate a few others, steal money and/or rice and kidnap young males.

Tax collectors were a prime target of the Phoenix Program folks. Several were either captured or assasinated.
    "If you are right, then you are right even if everyone says you are wrong. If you are wrong then you are wrong even if everyone says you are right." William Penn.

Comment

Assuming they were in a good mood, you might get a reciept for paying the "liberation tax". The reciepts were kept in a book which the stubs were kept in.
      Delegate, MN GOP.

PATRIA SI, COMUNISMO NO

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/p...?id=1156276727

Comment

I'm not sure about money collection but as TB points out I think they were more interested in taxing food stuff, especially rice. Money they could get from Hanoi, food they could not, that's why during most of the war VC and NVA units operating far from the HCMT concentrated around rice producing areas and that a lot of US operations were devoted to rice denial.
        I've never seen any statistics about VC tax collections, and there's very little informations available in english about how the Viet Cong Infrastructure was working.

Comment

This is interesting -
          SUMMARY OF BRIEFING ON VIET CONG TAXATION
          http://www.army.mil/cmh-pg/books/Vietnam/mi/appG.htm
          I am not stuck in the 60's and 70's -I choose to live there :)
          "Vision without action is a daydream. Action with without vision is a nightmare."

Comment

Good find Tu Do

Comment

Good stuff. Thanks. I asked because A) I've always been curious how the VC paid for their operations B) I was wondering if some of the troublemakers in the Middle East were using the same methods. My guess is that they are. They're running their operations like protection rackets, only with tons more muscle than what was depicted in Godfather Part 2.

Originally posted by Tu Do View Post
              This is interesting -
              SUMMARY OF BRIEFING ON VIET CONG TAXATION
              http://www.army.mil/cmh-pg/books/Vietnam/mi/appG.htm
              I'm having trouble getting hooked into that link. Perhaps the Chinese have hacked it.
              I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

Don't know what's wrong with CMH, the main page seems completely FUBAR:
                http://www.army.mil/cmh/

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                X