WATERMELON Snippet - 1st Platoon Leader, D Co. 1/28th

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WATERMELON Snippet - 1st Platoon Leader, D Co. 1/28th

Bar anything else, the most valuable things in war is ammo and water – in that order.

I found the watermelons in Vietnam were about the size and shape of American cantaloupes. We had been warned not to eat local melons, of any type, because rumor had it that Charlie would sometimes use hypodermic needles to inject poison into them and leave them out in the open just waiting for an American GI to help himself.

When searching our third Village at the end of a very hot day I was out of water and very very thirsty. I spotted a very nice looking uncut watermelon sitting on this table inside a hooch. Upon careful inspection of this delicious looking morsel……………..

Over the years it has bothered me that I had helped myself to this poor villager’s melon. Strange isn’t it?

KEN
    DO NO HARM
    1st ID, 1/28th '67/'68 Phouc Vinh & Quan Loi
    Skirmishes Bu Dop Dec-67, An My, Thu Duc Feb-68
    Plt. Ldr - CIB, Purple Hearts, Silver Star
    What we write can be considered to be a reflection of our SOUL providing others to know our CHARACTER.

Originally posted by KEN JENSEN View Post
    Bar anything else, the most valuable things in war is ammo and water – in that order.

I found the watermelons in Vietnam were about the size and shape of American cantaloupes. We had been warned not to eat local melons, of any type, because rumor had it that Charlie would sometimes use hypodermic needles to inject poison into them and leave them out in the open just waiting for an American GI to help himself.

When searching our third Village at the end of a very hot day I was out of water and very very thirsty. I spotted a very nice looking uncut watermelon sitting on this table inside a hooch. Upon careful inspection of this delicious looking morsel……………..

Over the years it has bothered me that I had helped myself to this poor villager’s melon. Strange isn’t it?

KEN
    DO NO HARM
    Hey don't worry about it... maybe they left it there just for you, fate kind of.
    Thanks for the story.
    SPORTS FREAK/ PANZERBLITZ COMMANDER/ CC2 COMMANDER

Comment

yeah or maybe he wants it back ...hee hee ..
      owner of the yahoo group for WW1 ,WW2 and Modern TO&Es
      (Tables of organisation & equipment or Unit of action )

http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/TOandEs/

Comment

Originally posted by KEN JENSEN View Post
        KEN
        DO NO HARM
        Not at all. It shows you are a man of values, conscience, and Character.

In Vietnam watermelons are a common feature at Tet, something like the pumpkin is here for Halloween.

Comment

hold your breath and be nice.

but I find it very hard to do.

Just be nice.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
          X