NVA Helo's - Used and where?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVA Helo's - Used and where?

Howdy, I did a quick search on this and came up empty.
    What I basically want to know is
    What type of birds-helo's did the North use in the Viet Nam confict?
    and
    Where, when and for what purpose they used them?

This pic, I believe was taken North side DMZ early 70's.
    If some one could id the bird, that would be appreciated aswell.
    I am not stuck in the 60's and 70's -I choose to live there :)
    "Vision without action is a daydream. Action with without vision is a nightmare."

From what I know although I'm not 100% they had Mi-4 Hounds and Mi-8 Hips but i wouldn't have a clue if they were used or where for that matter.
    "Folks need to be realists and realize that peace is a nice idea, but ultimately unattainable on a worldwide level."
    - 6thInf Grandson

Comment

I've never read anything substantial about that to be honest.

Comment

Well they obviously weren't used in any major role like the Huey for the US thats for sure and that pic is the only Vietnamese helicopter both past and present I've ever seen (thats IF it's Vietnamese)
        "Folks need to be realists and realize that peace is a nice idea, but ultimately unattainable on a worldwide level."
        - 6thInf Grandson

Comment

The picture looks like a Mil Mi 8 Hip but the wings are in the wrong place:

Possibly a Mil Mi 6 Hook as the one below:

Wolster

Comment

I agree with Boonie. I have never read anything that suggested that the NVA used Helicopters at all. They barely used their MIGs. I would bet that the boys out on Yankee station would have loved it if the North used Helicopters. It would have given them something to shoot at.

Comment

thanks Wolster, definitely Mil Mi-6.

I do realise that the North did not use choppers as widely as the South.
              Most helos usage would have been within the Norths borders or maybe into Lao.
              I thought they may have been used further south say around late '74 to '75.

There was am uncomfirmed sighting I did read of in the DMZ (will post if I find it again).
              "Vision without action is a daydream. Action with without vision is a nightmare."

Comment

yeah i agree with boonie and miss saigon .. never ever heard of the north using helicopters during the war .. maybe after yes but not during it ..
                owner of the yahoo group for WW1 ,WW2 and Modern TO&Es
                (Tables of organisation & equipment or Unit of action )

http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/TOandEs/

Comment

When the communist Vietnamese government invaded Cambodia they used captured Huey helicopters in an identical manner to the way the USA Army used them.
                  "If you are right, then you are right even if everyone says you are wrong. If you are wrong then you are wrong even if everyone says you are right." William Penn.

Comment

I know US soldiers on the DMZ/Laotian border areas reported seeing unfamiliar helicopters cruising around. But many believe they were CIA helicopters and not NVA 'choppers. But who the hell knows?!
                    "Send Me"

Comment

Originally posted by Tu Do View Post
                      Where, when and for what purpose they used them?

Static displays at Museums about their glorious defeat of the Imperialist running dogs.

Comment

@trailboss49
                        True, I have found several articles re the use of helo's from the later '70s on wards. Unfortunately there is not a lot of documentation re the north from the '40s through to the mid '70s.

The way I see things, and that is with both eyes open.
                        If the US had targeted all rail, bridges and main arterial roads from basically Hanoi to the SV and Lao borders then it would only stand to reason that the Soviets and Chinese must have assisted the NV in their logistics.

It's a known fact that the Chinese reorganised their entire defence strategy during the Viet Nam war from thought of the US moving up from the south.

Russians fully trained the NV pilots and also supplied the NV with sophisticated radar and trained them to use it. Russians manned control towers, "the Russian VVS admitted that Soviet advisors in Vietnam were authorized to engage US planes as part of the training process or as temporary replacements for Vietnamese pilots wounded or killed. One of them, Sr. Lt. Vadim Petrovich Shchbakov, was credited with 6 kills during 1966."

So I can not see why the use of some helicopters and crew to move AA, guns and maybe troops around would be seen as a some what silly suggestion.

Comment

The only tihng I can tihnk of is what Boonie told me waaay back. Myths and rumor of pilots seeing black painted Hueys with no marking flying around the Camobian Border...mind boggling actually..
                          I am a simple man. I am by no means smarter than the average man. I am average...yet genius.

Comment

Scanned this page from Where We Were in Vietnam by Michael J. Kiley, check the UFO Sightings entry, has some interesting infos on enemy helicopter sightings:

Comment

Here a a few listings I found, I will add that I only take these as reading value ATM.
                              Still trying to confirm any of these 'sightings'. Some of the aircraft were reported as being shot down by US forces, even if it is true, it does not mean that confirmation is available.

"In 1969 a Soviet Mi-6 Helicopter was ambushed in Darlac
                              Province, killing 7-Soviet crewman. Intelligence sources confirm
                              that Soviets piloted choppers delivering troops and supplies into
                              Laos, Cambodia, and South Vietnam."

"In June 1968 north of the Ben Hai River, near the DMZ, between
                              9 and 12 Soviet built and piloted Mi-4 helicopters, carrying
                              Soviet STYX missiles were tracked on U.S. radar. U.S. Navy
                              Phantom jets shot down all of the helicopters. General Cao Van
                              Vien's staff said, "There were Russians aboard these Helicopters"

"A Pathet Lao defector (identity withheld) told of Soviet
                              officers at Pathet Lao headquarters complex at Ban Na Kay Neua. He
                              confirmed that Soviet manned helicopters flew between Hanoi and
                              Sam Neua."

This is an interesting read.. since we are on the topic of 'Foo Fighters'
                              http://www.angelfire.com/ga3/galkie/russian.html
                              Last edited by Tu Do; 21 Aug 07, 05:45.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X