Vietnamese Geography

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vietnamese Geography

Have just been idling watching(as you do) a wildlife type programme on British tv about snakes in vietnam and cambodia. That aside one thing struck me was the density of the jungle and how loud it is with all the insects and wildlife. Gave a sort of idea of how difficult it must have been for you vets to deal with an indiginous opponent in terrain like that.

P.S This snake scientist is a mad. He kept picking up and poking these ultra dangerous vipers.

Snakes!!!!!

The standard joke about RVN slithery wildlife went thusly:

"In "the Nam" there are a hundred kinds of snakes. 99 of them are deadly poisonous and the 100th one just eats you whole."

I can't vouch for but for two or three of the poisonous ones, but I sure as hell met that 100th big SOB. Fer sure!

GG
    "The will of a section rooted in self interest, should not outweigh the vital interests of a whole people." -Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain-

"Fanatics of any sort are dangerous." -GG-

Comment

One saying
      The mosquitoes were so big if they couldn't bite you they leaned on you
      Jim"Doc" Bruce
      "War Means Fightin and fightnin means killin"
      Nathan Bedford Forrest.
      "Audacity, more audacity and always audacity"
      George Patton

Comment

One type of wildlife many GIs became familiar with were the leeches. Now we have leeches in North America, but they are minute when compared to the monsters over there. I still have scars where many were trying to suck the life blood out of me.
        "If you are right, then you are right even if everyone says you are wrong. If you are wrong then you are wrong even if everyone says you are right." William Penn.

Comment

In I Corps we had skeets so big sometimes they would pump 100 gallons of Aviation gas into one of them before they discovered their mistake. (He.)

...and I swear I heard two of them talking one night... "Should we eat him here or take him home? (one asked) We eat him here, if we take him home the big ones will eat him. (Was returned)"

Then there's the old standby about the skeet that lands on a grunt's chest, flips up his dogtags and mutters, "Ah hell, another A, I wanted a type B tonight."

My Dad used to gripe about them in Guadalcanal and Bougainville. Some things never change.

GG
          "The will of a section rooted in self interest, should not outweigh the vital interests of a whole people." -Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain-

Comment

One time when I was a boy fishing with my Dad at night with a lot of mosquitoes buzzing us instead of slapping them I noticed he would just use one of his hands to slide over his arms and slowly brush them off. I asked him why he did that rather than slap them like I did. He answered, "Because when the Japs were around they could hear you slap them. Then they'd sneak up on you and slit your throat." About 15 years later when I was on ambush I found myself doing the same thing he had done in WWII.
            "If you are right, then you are right even if everyone says you are wrong. If you are wrong then you are wrong even if everyone says you are right." William Penn.

Comment

Originally posted by trailboss49 View Post
              One time when I was a boy fishing with my Dad at night with a lot of mosquitoes buzzing us instead of slapping them I noticed he would just use one of his hands to slide over his arms and slowly brush them off. I asked him why he did that rather than slap them like I did. He answered, "Because when the Japs were around they could hear you slap them. Then they'd sneak up on you and slit your throat." About 15 years later when I was on ambush I found myself doing the same thing he had done in WWII.

the old habits/lessons being relearned was it mate ? ..
              owner of the yahoo group for WW1 ,WW2 and Modern TO&Es
              (Tables of organisation & equipment or Unit of action )

http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/TOandEs/

Comment

Originally posted by trailboss49 View Post
                Like I said, some things never change.

GG

Comment

Met a couple of BLACK KING COBRAS. Also heard rumors about what was called a "one stepper". They bite and in one step your dead.

Our major problem was leaches, Big Red Ones (large flesh eating ants). and Termites.

KEN
                  DO NO HARM
                  1st ID, 1/28th '67/'68 Phouc Vinh & Quan Loi
                  Skirmishes Bu Dop Dec-67, An My, Thu Duc Feb-68
                  Plt. Ldr - CIB, Purple Hearts, Silver Star
                  What we write can be considered to be a reflection of our SOUL providing others to know our CHARACTER.

Comment

Fire ants, leeches, mosquitoes, snakes and some dam big ugly spiders thrown in the mix made for a hell of a outdoor experience. I too have some scars from some leeche bites that ended up infected. Bug juice did squat on the mosquitoes but worked well on the leeches. Only problem was, we never used he stuff while on patrol as the scent could give you away.

D1
                    "War is hell, but actual combat is a motherf#cker"
                    - Col. David Hackworth

Comment

Originally posted by KEN JENSEN View Post
                      Met a couple of BLACK KING COBRAS. Also heard rumors about what was called a "one stepper". They bite and in one step your dead.

Our major problem was leaches, Big Red Ones (large flesh eating ants). and Termites.

KEN
                      DO NO HARM
                      The one referred to as "X step", X being a number from one to five, (we usually heard it as two step), is usually the colloquial name given to the Bamboo Krait. Extremely deadly. Little green booger, not very large, maybe 18 inches fully grown. I had a close encounter with a 12 incher once, smacked him with my machete and he still had the chutzpah to strike and hang his fangs over the edge of the blade.

The old dodge in "The Nam" was that there were 100 kinds of snakes, 99 of them were poisonous and that 100th SOB just ate you whole. I met that one hundredth species once.... but that is another story.

GG

P.S. Whoops, I just noticed that I had made that comment a couple of weeks ago. That will teach me to read the entire thread.
                      Last edited by Grognard Gunny; 07 Sep 07, 07:21.

Comment

Originally posted by DeltaOne View Post
                        Fire ants, leeches, mosquitoes, snakes and some dam big ugly spiders thrown in the mix made for a hell of a outdoor experience. I too have some scars from some leeche bites that ended up infected. Bug juice did squat on the mosquitoes but worked well on the leeches. Only problem was, we never used he stuff while on patrol as the scent could give you away.

D1
                        Good ol' "bug juice"! Nasty stuff, didn't work as intended. Seems like the Government just can't get it right. Kinda like MREs (Meal Ready to Eat), three lies in one name, goes the standard joke.

From what I hear about MREs, I'm rather happy we were eating 1950s vintage C-Rats in country.

GG

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                        X