Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How was armor used effectively in Vietnam War?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How was armor used effectively in Vietnam War?

Hello,

I've been reading Shelby Stanton's book, "The Rise and Fall of an American Army: Vietnam War, 1965-1973" and it's a VERY good book! I fell in love with it, and I think it's a must for everybody interested in knowing the basic facts of Vietnam War.

Anyway, one thing that often came up was the use of armor. I've noticed that armor was manned by inexperienced crews and often were ambushed or had a tough time advancing on the NVA positions. So, I'm wondering how was the armor used effectively in Vietnam War? It looked like MACV didn't know how to use the armor to its fullest advantage.

If you could change how the armor was used back then, tell me how you would have used the armor more effectively.

Another thing that bothered me greatly is the tendency of NVA or VC knowing where American positions were in advance, it's almost as if somebody fed either NVA or VC information on their positions. Was this common problem facing many American planners as they try to keep parts of their war plans confidential from their fellow "allies"? It looks like if NVA or VC suffered few strategic surprises, and that's probably how they survived nearly the entire war. We didn't know they were actually on ropes as 1968 ended, so the opportunity to win the war right there was lost on us.

Thanks for answering my questions in advance.

Dan
    Major James Holden, Georgia Badgers Militia of Rainbow Regiment, American Civil War

"Aim small, miss small."

Here's an link to Gen. Donn Starry's Vietnam Study:Mounted Combat in Vietnam.An excellent overview of Armor operations in Vietnam.

http://www.army.mil/cmh/books/Vietnam/mounted/index.htm

I highly recommend reading Gen.Starry's study for a good understanding of Armor in Vietnam.
    If you Ain't Cav,You Ain't S---

Comment

Originally posted by Scout32 View Post
      Here's an link to Gen. Donn Starry's Vietnam Study:Mounted Combat in Vietnam.An excellent overview of Armor operations in Vietnam.

http://www.army.mil/cmh/books/Vietnam/mounted/index.htm

I highly recommend reading Gen.Starry's study for a good understanding of Armor in Vietnam.
      Thanks, I will try to find an online bookstore that still sells this book, it's too long for me to read it online. It looks very good.

Dan
      Major James Holden, Georgia Badgers Militia of Rainbow Regiment, American Civil War

"Aim small, miss small."

Comment

Excellent source ole 'galloping Don', my Cav pard speaks well there....also a good un altho it's been out of print a while is...

Ringed in Steel

by

Michael D. Mahler, Jove Books,1986, NYC,NY. ISBN: 0-515-09074-3

CV

Comment

Even though it was an outmoded weapon for use on a modern battlefield (against something like Soviet tanks), the Ontos will be well remembered by the Marines of Vietnam.

In the fighting at Hue City, the Ontos was effective at taking out the enemy behind the cover of buildings.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
          X