Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Very good pics Jim. To think I would bitch about the rain and mud during the rainy season in III CTZ.

These pics remind me of why I'm glad I enlisted in the USAF instead of the US Army....
    "Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

Comment

• Me and my Bud

Here's pic of me (on your left) and my buddy Crew Chief, Joe Norman in front of one of our Birddogs at Lai Khe, c. 1967. He's all suited up to go fly back seat on a visual recon mission. The pilots liked to take us when they could - kind of a little bit of security if they were forced down (and lived through it). Personally I liked air strikes better than VR, altough it was nice flying around on any mission with the windows open and getting the cool breeze in my face.

As you can see, I didn't have to swim around like Jim and his troops.
      "Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

Comment

• Originally posted by Casyd View Post
        Good pics!

Was it posible transport wounded persons on the air mattresses or were only designed to transport your material?
        Casyd,

Actually the air mattresses were just that - G.I. (Government Issue) air mattresses designed to be slept on in the field. But just as people use air mattresses to splash around on in a swimming pool or at the beach, some bright soul figured out that they could be used to float equipment across streams and canals in Vietnam.

But using to evac wounded troops on? Well, yes, but the entire Mekong Delta was a gigantic Landing Zone (LZ), so it wasn't normally necessary to haul the wounded any further than about 20 or so feet to the Medivac bird.

Now for the guys on the boats, that might have been done, but those were the boys who were members of the Mobile Riverine Force (MRF), aka the "Brown Water Navy/Army", who rode to war on armoured landing craft and made more amphibious landings in a typical week than the entire Marines in Vietnam did during their entire time in country!

Now, before anyone thumps me, hear me out.... The USMC were designed to be ship-borne troops, trained very seriously to make amphibious assaults, yes? So where did we deploy the Marines - in I Corps, holding down fixed base camps (and in the case of Khe Sanh, which could only be resupplied by air). And then you have the Army's 9th Inf Div, raised and trained in Ft Riley, KA, who were put into the Mekong Delta with one Brigade assigned to live on the USS Benewah and making amphibious assaults on almost a daily basis!

Not for nothing do we proudly call ourselves the 9th "Waterborne" Inf Div, the only Marine Division in the US Army!
        Warriors sacrifice a bit of their soul to be the way they are. They must look into the abyss and still try to remain human.
        --- Orn Ransom

Comment

• Originally posted by Ranger Jim View Post
          More to say, but I'll start a thread elsewhere for my stories about my "War in the Mud" (Boonierat, what was the URL for stories about personal experiences again?).
          Jim, I've started such a thread just for you,:

http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forum...ad.php?t=88315

Comment

Casyd,

Actually the air mattresses were just that - G.I. (Government Issue) air mattresses designed to be slept on in the field. But just as people use air mattresses to splash around on in a swimming pool or at the beach, some bright soul figured out that they could be used to float equipment across streams and canals in Vietnam.

But using to evac wounded troops on? Well, yes, but the entire Mekong Delta was a gigantic Landing Zone (LZ), so it wasn't normally necessary to haul the wounded any further than about 20 or so feet to the Medivac bird.
            Thanks for the reply RJ, your approach is logical.
            Im thinking perhaps could be used too while waiting for a Medevac bird...

Warm regards.
            Dirige domine cor meum in prelio et doce manus in bello

Comment

• John Wayne and U.S. Army Special Forces Operational Detachment A-323 at Camp Trai Bi, Tay Ninh Province, Republic of Vietnam, June 1966
              Dirige domine cor meum in prelio et doce manus in bello

Comment

• Maps - Camps

The following contains maps of all special forces camps in Vietnam (pages 32-35) along with some interesting reading:

http://www.dtic.mil/cgi-bin/GetTRDoc...c=GetTRDoc.pdf
                "War is hell, but actual combat is a motherf#cker"
                - Col. David Hackworth

Comment

• For Ken:

D1
                  "War is hell, but actual combat is a motherf#cker"
                  - Col. David Hackworth

Comment

• OH my D1, I know you meant well, but....

I really can't accept the above license. It would be something I wouldn't want and/or be proud of. Some of my worst and sad times were having to kill and/or see enemy dead, not to forget the price that was paid to achieve the task (not only U.S. dead/wounded but also innocent Vietnamese citizens).

My "license to hunt and kill" the enemy was worn on my lapel (Crossed Rifles - signifying Infantry) and combined with my Rank of a Small Unit Commander (2nd Lt., 1st Lt, and/or Captain) and further re-inforced by the CIB. My job was to lead men into battle. These soldier's job (and mine, was to find and kill the enemy); not to many, of which, was proud of the task - the Infantryman's License was his weapon and assigned mission.

Last edited by KEN JENSEN; 09 Feb 10, 13:30.
                    1st ID, 1/28th '67/'68 Phouc Vinh & Quan Loi
                    Skirmishes Bu Dop Dec-67, An My, Thu Duc Feb-68
                    Plt. Ldr - CIB, Purple Hearts, Silver Star
                    What we write can be considered to be a reflection of our SOUL providing others to know our CHARACTER.

Comment

• Originally posted by Casyd View Post
                      Thanks for the reply RJ, your approach is logical.
                      Im thinking perhaps could be used too while waiting for a Medevac bird...

Warm regards.
                      Yes, but please remember that these were the same sort of air mattresses that you might buy to go camping or to take to the beach (except in military green and were heavy duty). They had to be inflated by mouth, and no one really had time to do that in the middle of a firefight. Actually (come to think of it), I'm a bit surprised that we weren't issued aircrew type inflatable life rafts (with extra CO2 cartridges, of course) to try out ... but not in high visibility yellow or orange!
                      Warriors sacrifice a bit of their soul to be the way they are. They must look into the abyss and still try to remain human.
                      --- Orn Ransom

Comment

• John Wayne and the making of "The Green Berets"

Originally posted by Casyd View Post

John Wayne and U.S. Army Special Forces Operational Detachment A-323 at Camp Trai Bi, Tay Ninh Province, Republic of Vietnam, June 1966
                        In 1967, I was assigned to the 197th Inf Bde at Ft Benning, GA and was there when John Wayne was making The Green Berets. It goes without saying that he had the run of the base. Our Bde HQ building substituted for the 5th SF Group HQ and most of the movie was filmed at Benning.

All of the Battalions had separate messhalls and one of my friends (who later became my brother-in-law) had the additional duty of Bn Mess Officer and hated it! Or he hated it until the day John Wayne and the other actors came into the messhall to eat lunch.... They were seated and served in the Senior Officer's area, but after the meal, he made a point to seek out Larry (we were both 2d Lts then) and complemented him on the meal and asked Larry to pass the complements to the cooks and KPs!

Larry came into the Officer's Club casual bar that night walking on air....
                        "Jim, did you see that? John Wayne shook my hand and complemented me on the chow!"
                        "Wish I had been there, but I was out in the field hardassing the OCs."

At any rate, when I get my slides out of storage, I'll scan and post the photos I took of the "Special Forces camp" at Benning after the movie crew left....
                        --- Orn Ransom

Comment

In 1967, ...
                          "Wish I had been there, but I was out in the field hardassing the OCs."
                          heeheehee, Sure glad you weren't there in 1966 "HARDASSING" me while I was in Infantry OCS at Benning. I sure had a "hard on" for many RANGERS during our training. Hey, they did train us pretty good! But all the BS they gave us.

P.S. I was still at Benning as Basic Training Officer in early 1967.

1st ID, 1/28th '67/'68 Phouc Vinh & Quan Loi
                          Skirmishes Bu Dop Dec-67, An My, Thu Duc Feb-68
                          Plt. Ldr - CIB, Purple Hearts, Silver Star
                          What we write can be considered to be a reflection of our SOUL providing others to know our CHARACTER.

Comment

• Originally posted by KEN JENSEN View Post
                            heeheehee, Sure glad you weren't there in 1966 "HARDASSING" me while I was in Infantry OCS at Benning. I sure had a "hard on" for many RANGERS during our training. Hey, they did train us pretty good! But all the BS they gave us.

P.S. I was still at Benning as Basic Training Officer in early 1967.
                            I went through IOBC 8-67 early '67. What class were you in?

After IOBC, I went off to Ranger school and then to the 197th "Aggressor" Inf Bde, Inf support troops....

And yes, we were issued those funny helmet liners and ugly green fatigues! But we only wore them during the "conventional warfare" phases of training. The majority of the time, we played guerrilla and wore anything we wanted - jeans, t-shirts, cammies, you name it....
                            --- Orn Ransom

Comment

• And now for something different...

I was going through my files the other day and happened upon my collection of cartoons that I clipped from newspapers and magazines during the Vietnam era (roughly from about '66 to '70) and thought that I'd share them with y'all.

Hope you enjoy them as much as I still do.

Most of them were clipped from the Pacific Stars & Stripes and/or Army Times, with some from Infantry Magazine, Playboy, etc.
                              --- Orn Ransom

Comment

• "Images from Vietnam"

--- Orn Ransom

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X