Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What did you do to the sandtable after your took the pics Moon? did you trampled it?

Comment

• What did you do to the sandtable after your took the pics Moon? did you trampled it?

No, that would have a been a bad idea given the possibility it was mined or booby trapped. I suspect that it was under observation when the couple platoons and I showed up, so Charles knew we knew...and we knew he knew that we knew....I think we just boogied back to the camp, closed the gate tight and made a flurry of radio calls that resulted in a company of 1/52 coming out our way (from a nearby battalion base) for a couple days. We obviously did some preplanned fire support expecting maybe a visit that night...but nothing ever transpired directly attributable to that sand table. It did heighten the atmosphere however for a week or two!

Last edited by moonpie46; 09 Nov 09, 14:24.
      The same battle in the clouds will be known to the deaf only as lightening, and to the blind only as thunder.--George Santayana

Comment

• Here's an unusual Vietnam vehicle, a Land Rover from 4RAR equipped with a 106mm Recoiless Rifle:

Comment

• The enemy

Folks should never ask "how did it feel to kill", or any other such dumb questions along the same train of thought.

As an Infantryman, I'll tell you now; AFTER the fight was over, and you seen something like this or WORSE, "it felt like chit", but it was our job!

Last edited by KEN JENSEN; 05 Dec 09, 19:54.
          1st ID, 1/28th '67/'68 Phouc Vinh & Quan Loi
          Skirmishes Bu Dop Dec-67, An My, Thu Duc Feb-68
          Plt. Ldr - CIB, Purple Hearts, Silver Star
          What we write can be considered to be a reflection of our SOUL providing others to know our CHARACTER.

Comment

• Christmas at Arlington, Rest easy brothers
            "If we don't know history, then we are ready meat for carnivorous politicians and the intellectuals and journalists who supply the carving knives." Zell

Comment

• Couple of great pics taken during Operation BALLARAT conducted by the ATF
              between 4 and 16 August 1967 near Binh Ba, Phuoc Tuy Province:

Monsoonal conditions:

161 Bty RNZA in action:

Comment

• My Scanner is hooked up and working...

And I've started scanning my photos! Will be posting them as I get them scanned and as cleaned up as possible.

I just found this thread and have only gone through pg 1 so far, so I don't know if anyone else has posted anything from the 9th Div AO. Some of the photos I might be able to cross reference to Google Earth (and if anyone is living in the Ho Chi Minh City area that might be able to help me out, I'd appreciate it. 'Twood be a good contrast between 67-68 and now).
                Warriors sacrifice a bit of their soul to be the way they are. They must look into the abyss and still try to remain human.
                --- Orn Ransom

Comment

• Originally posted by Ranger Jim View Post
                  And I've started scanning my photos! Will be posting them as I get them scanned and as cleaned up as possible.

I just found this thread and have only gone through pg 1 so far, so I don't know if anyone else has posted anything from the 9th Div AO. Some of the photos I might be able to cross reference to Google Earth (and if anyone is living in the Ho Chi Minh City area that might be able to help me out, I'd appreciate it. 'Twood be a good contrast between 67-68 and now).
                  That sounds great Jim it would be great to see pictures of 4-39 in the Delta. sgnsteve is living in HCMC and might be able to help you (although I believe he's in Thailand right now).

Comment

• Originally posted by Boonierat View Post
                    Couple of great pictures I've found today:

<snip>

The second one shows a sniper of the 9th Infantry Division in the Mekong Delta. The sniper school of the 9th was particularly famous during the Vietnam War.

As I said, I'm just getting into this thread, but I just had to comment on this particular post....

In Dec '67, I arrived in RVN as a Ranger/"Jungle Expert" qualified 2LT and was assigned to the 9th Inf Div (then located at Bear Cat) and - after the "Old Reliables Academy," I joined my company at Binh Sonh Rubber Plantation (just east of Long Than South). To my delight, I discovered that I had not only one but two (2) school-qualified snipers in my platoon!!! It goes without saying that I promptly started pestering the Old Man to let me take my platoon (or even just the three of us) out some night on a "snooping & scoping" night ambush patrol! Needless to say, it never happened, (or didn't untill a couple of months later during Tet '68).

FYI, both of the snipers were squad leaders and one of them also was also an expert with the M-79 and I credited him with 4 personal kills with the '79 at long range (how far? Don't rightly recall, but he used that sucker like a WW II Japanese "knee mortar" and I played FO/spotter for him (whilst training my troopies how to call in indirect fire) ).

And now we're getting into the question as to why I'm not "a Real Ranger (e.g. Scrolled), but this isn't the place for that particular discussion....
                    Warriors sacrifice a bit of their soul to be the way they are. They must look into the abyss and still try to remain human.
                    --- Orn Ransom

Comment

• Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
                      Are you sure of the cause? In Duc Pho we had problems with out going as well, mostly from the ARVN Battery that didn't like to coordinate it's fire with Air Traffic Control.

HP
                      I read somewhere that it was hit buy outgoing fire.

Comment

• Grunts from 1-22 Inf on the Pleiku airfield waiting to go into Cambodia, 6 May 1970:

Comment

• K-9 Team near FSB TERRACE, March 1970:

Comment

• Jan 29, 1968 - An Loi, RVN

According to the notes on the back of the snapshot, this was taken at "Fire Base Orange," An Loi. All I can say for sure is that my company had been taken off line for a "Tet Standdown" to set up a model DePuy Firebase for higher-highers to run VIPs and the media through.

All I can truly say is that the company ran into a rather badly organized "defense" by what turned out to be a local VC basic training camp.

This was my first day as an O-2 1st Lt. Location? Somewhere between Bear Cat and Long Binh.
                            --- Orn Ransom

Comment

• Vietnamese women outside of our billets at Cat Lai

Some of our hooch maids at Cat Lai. Mamasan is (obviously!) the one on the right of the photo and was very protective of her young charges....

Since I'm going to be posting some other photos of this AO, I'll give some background here - Cat Lai is just ESE of Saigon/HMC and during the War, was the primary port terminal for ammunition. At any given time, there were 3 Victory Ships in the roads - one fully loaded with ammunition/explosives, one in the process of being unloaded, and the other waiting to join a convoy back to the Mekong and out into the South China Sea.

The local VC mortared Cat Lai during early Tet, but only hit the HQ bldg and the NCO/EM Club. I'm going to give the credit for being smart, rather than being incompetent and say that they knew what hitting one of the ships (loaded with who knows how many kilotons of HE!) would involve.... Would have made a seriously big BOOM!

I'm getting OT for this area, so I'll post more about that in the appropriate forum.
                              --- Orn Ransom

Comment

• Keep it coming Jim

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X