Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Images From Vietnam

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Had a good friend that was a buff pilot for that op. He told me that they'd be listening to the Celtics game on AFR while dropping all that HE. I guess some guys had pretty good duty and some of us just...didn't.
    ARRRR! International Talk Like A Pirate Day - September 19th
    IN MARE IN COELO

    Comment


    • More from my father's collection:



      Ubon RTAFB - Motor Pool Service Station. Note Snoopy atop one of the buildings. January 1971




      UBON RTAFB - Monks in front of barracks. January 1971




      Ubon RTAFB - Thai and US flags in front of Wing HQ. March 1971




      Ubon RTAFB - BX. March 1971




      On a Baht Bus back to base. March 1971




      Downtown Ubon - Thai Policeman. March 1971




      Ubon - Boat on Moon River. March 1971




      Ubon - Houses along Moon River. Note the family washing clothes in the river (lower left of photo). March 1971

      Comment





      • Last edited by Miss Saigon; 09 Oct 08, 00:00.

        Comment


        • Photo ID

          Originally posted by MrTudo View Post
          Co Du Kich Nho



          Does anyone know the story behind this picture?
          MrTudo,

          That's a photo of Ronald E. Storz, USAF. Here's his bio: http://www.pownetwork.org/bios/s/s121.htm

          The NVA gloated over his capture and created propaganda postage stamps showing Storz. They used that photo you posted.
          Attached Files
          "Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

          Comment


          • Nice job identifying that photo for us Sidewinder. I was wondering who that was.
            "War is hell, but actual combat is a motherf#cker"
            - Col. David Hackworth

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Sidewinder CC View Post
              MrTudo,

              That's a photo of Ronald E. Storz, USAF. Here's his bio: http://www.pownetwork.org/bios/s/s121.htm

              The NVA gloated over his capture and created propaganda postage stamps showing Storz. They used that photo you posted.
              This is kind of strange since William Robinson many times confirmed he was in the picture, he and the girl had a reunion filmed by NHK back in 1995.

              Comment


              • That's Odd

                Originally posted by altus View Post
                This is kind of strange since William Robinson many times confirmed he was in the picture, he and the girl had a reunion filmed by NHK back in 1995.
                That's odd. In that link I posted, BGen Robinson Risner states (from his book) that "I later saw one of the postage stamps put out by the North Vietnamese. It was typical North Vietnamese propaganda. On it is a picture of an America POW. He is big and tall. Behind him is a teen-age girl, very small, holding a rifle on him. The American was Ron Stortz."

                I would like to read about William Robinson - is there a bio or some other data about him?
                "Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

                Comment


                • Great group picture of a Marine rifle platoon near Da Nang.
                  Don't have much more infos but it must be late in the war,
                  the Corps adopted the woodland camo pattern in 1969:

                  Last edited by Boonierat; 15 Oct 08, 14:21.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Sidewinder CC View Post
                    That's odd. In that link I posted, BGen Robinson Risner states (from his book) that "I later saw one of the postage stamps put out by the North Vietnamese. It was typical North Vietnamese propaganda. On it is a picture of an America POW. He is big and tall. Behind him is a teen-age girl, very small, holding a rifle on him. The American was Ron Stortz."

                    I would like to read about William Robinson - is there a bio or some other data about him?
                    You may want to check my answer to Mr Tu Do.

                    Robinson's bio may be found here or here.

                    I think gen. Risner mistook Robinson for Stortz, especially when you consider the quality of the picture, not to mention the sketches on those stamps.

                    Comment


                    • Boonie - that photo of the rifle platoon near Da Nang is fantastic!

                      Comment


                      • Homeward Bound, 1971


                        (Photos: Scott McKnight, 330th RR Co)
                        www.RadioVietnam.net

                        Comment


                        • Did you leave with your whole unit RR or was it on an individual basis?

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Boonierat View Post
                            Did you leave with your whole unit RR or was it on an individual basis?
                            Boonie - When I left in 1968, toward the end of the build-up period, it was as an individual - the same way as I had arrived in 1967.

                            I suspect whole units may have left together when units were decommissioned or rotated back to the US or elsewhere - either because the mission was turned over to South Vietnamese forces or units were withdrawing at the end of the war.

                            -- RR
                            www.RadioVietnam.net

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by RadioResearcher View Post
                              Boonie - When I left in 1968, toward the end of the build-up period, it was as an individual - the same way as I had arrived in 1967.

                              I suspect whole units may have left together when units were decommissioned or rotated back to the US or elsewhere - either because the mission was turned over to South Vietnamese forces or units were withdrawing at the end of the war.

                              -- RR
                              Yes, my bad, thought you served in the last years of the war for some reason

                              Comment


                              • I served with Ted (Moctezuma) pic 1971.

                                I was with the 327th ATC in 1971 before they pulled out.
                                Tower operator. Ted trained me in tower operations when I
                                first got in country. I recognize him in the photo. That picture
                                of our compound is amazing. I remember it just like that. Really
                                brought back some memories. If you see his Ted, what's up dude?

                                Keith

                                Comment

                                Latest Topics

                                Collapse

                                • lodestar
                                  MPís: Unsung heroes or loathed outsiders?
                                  lodestar
                                  MPís Unsung heroes or loathed outsiders?

                                  I must confess (and of course what lodestar confesses matters to everyone - I donít do irrelevancy)...
                                  Today, 07:13
                                • MarkV
                                  Dummkopf
                                  MarkV
                                  German teenager who managed to get disqualified whilst driving home after passing his driving test. As they would say in Ireland The boy's a *ing eejut...
                                  Today, 06:28
                                • Massena
                                  Cindy Hyde-Smith
                                  Massena
                                  This candidate for the Senate in Mississippi is at best an idiot and at worst a racist, making comments about hangings and voter suppression:
                                  ...
                                  Today, 06:21
                                Working...
                                X