Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CBS archives :H.H 69

Hello to all.

These rolls are raw edited so forgive the complete mess of the images and the pitiful soundtrack.

Sorry if you already know these images but i'd rather be thick rather than egostic and keep them for me.
    (any idea of who is the photoreporter with his dozens of cameras ?)

Last edited by sebfrench76; 23 May 16, 06:27.
    That rug really tied the room together

Originally posted by sebfrench76 View Post
    Hello to all.

These rolls are raw edited so forgive the complete mess of the images and the pitiful soundtrack.

Sorry if you already know these images but i'd rather be thick rather than egostic and keep them for me.

re
    any idea of who is the photoreporter with his dozens of cameras ?

Lots of VN War photographers were taking pix near that battle--some very prominent/famous today. If you're asking about the guy at the M60 in your cue, that might be Horst Faas, but I wouldn't swear to it. (I dunno why a photographer would be photographed in that pose.)
    Last edited by Jeffy; 24 May 16, 10:43.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffy View Post
      re
      any idea of who is the photoreporter with his dozens of cameras ?

Lots of VN War photographers were taking pix near that battle--some very prominent/famous today. If you're asking about the guy at the M60 in your cue, that might be Horst Faas, but I wouldn't swear to it. (I dunno why a photographer would be photographed in that pose.)
      No Jeffy that is not Horst Faas, Horst Faas looks like Tell Savales and most of his work was very early in the war, I have seen nothing by Horst Faas late in the war like for instance 1968-69.

Last edited by Trung Si; 24 May 16, 11:26.
      Trying hard to be the Man, that my Dog believes I am!

Comment

Thanks a lot for the inputs guys !

Comment

Photographers at Hill 937

Originally posted by Trung Si View Post
          No Jeffy that is not Horst Faas, Horst Faas looks like Tell Savales and most of his work was very early in the war, I have seen nothing by Horst Faas late in the war like for instance 1968-69.

Thanks. Ditto. A lot has been written about the VN photographers, but it's pretty hard to get a list of the ones at 937 HH/Dong AP Bia. Even Maclear's VIETNAM: A COMPLETE PHOTOGRAPHIC HISTORY doesn't tell us. It has two uncredited photos. I'm familiar with the portrait you posted, and thought it could go either way. Faas was back incountry till 1970, even though he'd been wounded in '67. The guy in Seb's pic might even be Army. Several US Mil photographers were KIA in the war.

Comment

My Marine rifle company Bravo 1/3 sat on the airstrip at Vanergrif aka LZ Stud in"Sparrow Hawk" for two days waiting for the"GO"into this battle.
            All we were told was the 101 had hit some serious $hit in the A Shau.
            The Army/Navy football rivalry thing,and God's grace on us,kept that engagement an all Army affair.
            Our soldiers fought bravely.Their leadership(mapreaders) sucked and should get full recognition for what they contributed.
            The history addict asked me,"Where did you fought?"
            Me...Damn..."I'm not sure."

Comment

Originally posted by sebfrench76 View Post
              Very interesting to see an interview of Lt Col Weldon Honeycutt (CO 3/187 Inf) during the battle. From what he and the Major (who I believe is the Ops Officer or G3) are saying it sounds like the battle was in its final stages when they were interviewed... which is when most film crews show up.

As for the reporter who was conducting the interview, definitely not American by his accent. Australian or New Zealander, and probably working as a stringer for CBS.

Thanks for posting it.
              Dan.

PS: I didn't know it was about Hamburger Hill until well into it. Please, next time don't use initials to title your post.
              So long as men worship the Caesars and Napoleons, Caesars and Napoleons will duly rise and make them miserable.

Aldous Huxley: Ends and Means (1937)

Comment

So sorry Dan.Felt the need for summing up my thought.
                Wasn't ment to be disrespectful ,simply direct.
                You know,VietNam war is a recent matter of interest for us froggies ,at least for me.
                I am spending many hours to decipher tons of rolls filmed there cause I want to have a sharp idea of what they have been through there.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                X