Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help with a pic .

Hello boys !

In fact ,this super picture needs some explanations for a frog like me..

Could you describe me the various equipement , in fact , the very one weared around the upper chest,looking like a rope , by this proud Marine..(John St. Martin 1-1 RT New York, MACV-SOG )
    Thanks in advance!

That rug really tied the room together

Frag-ma-cord. Linear anti personnel mine.

Comment

It looks like he's wearing a BAR belt, the belt worn by operators of the Browning Automatic Rifle. It was liked because of the large pouches designed to take 20-rd magazines of .30-cal ammunition.

Below the BAR belt it looks like he's also wearing a belt made of nylon parachute strapping, but that's a guess. I can't say what type of shoulder straps he has, and I don't know what type of bag is hanging off his chest or what it's attached to.

Great photo. Are you sure he's a Marine?

Cheers,
      Dan.
      So long as men worship the Caesars and Napoleons, Caesars and Napoleons will duly rise and make them miserable.

Aldous Huxley: Ends and Means (1937)

Comment

The 'rope' looks most odd - the pattern on it resembles bungee cord but why an infantryman would wear a section of that is well beyond my comprehension.
        Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
        Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

Originally posted by MarkV View Post
          The 'rope' looks most odd - the pattern on it resembles bungee cord but why an infantryman would wear a section of that is well beyond my comprehension.
          Originally posted by Cobra1365 View Post
          Frag-ma-cord. Linear anti personnel mine.
          http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/foru...as-fragmacord/
          Flag: USA / Location: West Coast

Prayers.

BoRG

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtsX_Z3CMU

Comment

That's a claymore mine hanging around his neck.
            The history addict asked me,"Where did you fought?"
            Me...Damn..."I'm not sure."

Comment

Originally posted by hankwill View Post
              That's a claymore mine hanging around his neck.
              Roger that and that's det cord around his neck, M-61,( never saw any of that)
              the guy is a walking suicide bomber, I wouldn't be anywhere near him, true about carrying claymores, we did, however the guy in the picture would be dying of thirst a quarter of a mile in his patrol ,he is carrying too much **** and not enough water, good pose however.
              Last edited by Trung Si; 27 Apr 16, 20:49.
              Trying hard to be the Man, that my Dog believes I am!

Comment

The det-cord around his neck turned into the more lethal Frag version when wrapped in metal, as on picture (according to descriptions). Det-cords were used in SOG prisoner snatching knocking the VC off his feet, cut trees, making claymore daisy chains (blowing multiple claymores along a path) or when wrapped in metal sheet as delaying measures thrown across a trail under evasive manoeuvring with a delaying fuse (pull friction believed seen above right shoulder).

Usually the NVA didnt like SOG so when the hunt was on several hundred NVA were in pursuit.

Sog dude has quite a normal load out for 1970's standards. These were not grunts in normal sense but carried only gear for specific missions like Seals. His backpack is not shown that carried non combat equipment. He wouldn't go without it.

/Pappy
                "Charley Dont´t Surf."

Comment

It's actually a hula-hoop - don't tell his sergeant.
                  Indyref2 - still, "Yes."

Comment

To all of you , a huge thanks !
                    this kindda stuff is amazing !And i completely ignored it.So ,i am a little less dumb today (hooray !!)

Comment

Originally posted by sebfrench76 View Post
                      Hello boys !

In fact ,this super picture needs some explanations for a frog like me..

Could you describe me the various equipement , in fact , the very one weared around the upper chest,looking like a rope , by this proud Marine..(John St. Martin 1-1 RT New York, MACV-SOG )
                      Thanks in advance!

XM-61 Linear mine or as Cobra said, 'frag-ma-cord'. It was actually factory produced that way with square wire fragmentation coils crimped over a heavy det. cord liner. It could be easily cut to various lengths and used as an anti-personnel mine or hasty booby trap. Great stuff. Extremely versatile and very valuable out in the field.
                      "War is hell, but actual combat is a motherf#cker"
                      - Col. David Hackworth

Comment

Yes sebfrench 76 this recon troop is loaded with enough ordnance to level that air conditioned hooch and leave a good size crater too.
                        Detonating cord was something that the average grunt didn't have enough training with to feel comfortable using much less carrying out in the bush.Same as white phosphorus grenades,nasty stuff and un-predicable.
                        The det,cord we used mainly to drop trees for hasty LZ's in the bush came in coils in metal round cans with warnings marked all over them.
                        Once while in a defensive perimeter in the dmz the lid(perfect shape and size) to a det.cord can gave me the idea to make a pizza out of c-rations for the squad. First I put crackers on top of the det.cord lid for the crust.Then I used the c-rats cheeses,two kinds,over the crackers.Over that I used the beans w/wieners and spaghetti w/meatballs in tomato sauce meals for the toppings.Cooked it all over a handful of heat tabs and Damn if it didn't almost resemble a real pizza. Only problem with it was it had some paint from the lid stuck to the bottom of some of the crust.Everyone had a good laugh when I delivered pizza to their fighting holes.Everyone in the squad ate some and said it wasn't bad.(They were being kind)
                        The pizza became sort of a squad legend and I was asked by other squads to make them one.NFG's to the squad were warned about it.Guys going home told me they'ed never forget that pizza on the dmz.
                        Whenever I think about it I remember how much we loved one another.
                        Excuse me for rambling,
                        The history addict asked me,"Where did you fought?"
                        Me...Damn..."I'm not sure."

Comment

Whaaa...!
                          What an anecdote !
                          Brilliant!

Comment

Originally posted by sebfrench76 View Post
                            To all of you , a huge thanks !
                            this kindda stuff is amazing !And i completely ignored it.So ,i am a little less dumb today (hooray !!)
                            There is always tomorrow Seb
                            "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan M View Post
                              It looks like he's wearing a BAR belt, the belt worn by operators of the Browning Automatic Rifle. It was liked because of the large pouches designed to take 20-rd magazines of .30-cal ammunition.

Below the BAR belt it looks like he's also wearing a belt made of nylon parachute strapping, but that's a guess. I can't say what type of shoulder straps he has, and I don't know what type of bag is hanging off his chest or what it's attached to.

Great photo. Are you sure he's a Marine?

Cheers,
                              Dan.
                              The bag is hanging on a length of parachute cord, just visible under his collar in front, and from the shape inside, it holds a pair of binoculars.

I can't see any rank so I can't determine a rough date, but he's carrying the shorter carbine version of the 16, the Car4 (?), and he appears to be wearing some form of jungle boots, but they're cut off at the bottom of the photo.

He's carrying frags and smoke, but for some reason he's not carrying the canteen that should be on his left hip. He has two field dressings but I can't identify the two "sausages" hanging vertically under his shirt.

SWAG? probably SF, rigged out to go touring the boonies, or possibly someone working behind enemy lines. He has no identifying insignia of any kind.
                              Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X