Vietnam Era unknown ribbon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vietnam Era unknown ribbon

My uncle was in Vietnam for several tours. I have a picture of his ribbon rack. I have identified all but one. It's the top right - red in the middle, yellow on both sides. Any ideas? I have search and search.
    Attached Files

First guess is something from the RVN. Colors sort of go in that direction.

Looking at his other awards, he was one hell of a solider.

The ribbons with the E on them look like they could be non military.
    "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

youre entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Thanks for the comments. He did five tours. Tried working after he got out but things didn't go right. He went back in the military until he retired. He passed away last year so unfortunately I can't ask him what it was for.

Comment

It is not a U.S. medal and is not authorized to be worn where he has it. If it were a foreign award, i.e., Vietnamese, and authorized for wear, it would follow his US awards and campaign medals, down where the Vietnamese Campaign Medal is (the wider green and white striped one at the bottom of his rack). Also, the Blue framed Presidential Unit Citation goes above the other framed unit awards, not below them. A Master Sergeant would know that. Likewise the US Vietnam Service Medal is in the wrong place. It takes precedence precedence after the National Defense Service Medal.
        Last edited by lirelou; 18 Feb 16, 19:24.
        dit: Lirelou

Phong trần mi một lưỡi gươm, Những loi gi o ti cơm s g!

Comment

I'm not sure this is how he had them arranged. Several family members including kids had them. They could have been messed with.

Comment

Looks like a Foreign Civic ribbon to me!

Paul
            ‘Tis said his form is tiny, yet
            All human ills he can subdue,
            Or with a bauble or medal
            Can win mans heart for you;
            And many a blessing know to stew
            To make a megloamaniac bright;
            Give honour to the dainty Corse,
            The Pixie is a little shite.

Comment

Tcobb 64. I'm sure the kids did mess with them. It's definitely not American and they way it's pinned in on its own suggests someone else put it there. Retired military types sometimes wear Branch Society Awards on Dress uniform to such things as the Army Ball. Sometimes with ribbons that go around the neck, like the Order of Saint Barbara, and sometimes they're a medal on a ribbon that is worn on a pocket. It could also be a National Guard award and therefore not familiar to persons who are not from that State's Guard.

Dibble, the RVN Civic Action Medal First Class was dark green and red, but it's a good point. Here's an internet site with a display of ARVN awards. Hmmm, one has a similar color scheme, but is wider. Still, it's fifth class. Maybe the lower classes had narrower red fields.

http://www.173rdairborne.com/rvnmedals.htm
              Last edited by lirelou; 18 Feb 16, 22:30.

Comment

I'll call Ray Bows if I can't find it in his books. Ray can dig up anything.
                Skip

Comment

Originally posted by lirelou View Post
                  Tcobb 64. I'm sure the kids did mess with them. It's definitely not American and they way it's pinned in on its own suggests someone else put it there. Retired military types sometimes wear Branch Society Awards on Dress uniform to such things as the Army Ball. Sometimes with ribbons that go around the neck, like the Order of Saint Barbara, and sometimes they're a medal on a ribbon that is worn on a pocket. It could also be a National Guard award and therefore not familiar to persons who are not from that State's Guard.

Dibble, the RVN Civic Action Medal First Class was dark green and red, but it's a good point. Here's an internet site with a display of ARVN awards. Hmmm, one has a similar color scheme, but is wider. Still, it's fifth class. Maybe the lower classes had narrower red fields.

http://www.173rdairborne.com/rvnmedals.htm
                  There is this:

Fifth row from the bottom, on the right hand page.

It is the ribbon to a WW1 French medal called the Medalle Saint-Mihiel 1918, and could have been awarded to an older member of the family

"They were awarded by the town itself, to Allied servicemen who fought between the Argonne and St.Mihel. As such, many American soldiers came back with this medal. Other versions of Verdun medal were struck as replacements, commemoratives, or just souviners, so possession of a Verdun medals does not necessarily denote active service in that area."

The above quote is from this site.

Near the bottom of the page.

http://www.gwpda.org/medals/frenmedl/france.html

The the Medalle Saint-Mihiel and its ribbon can be seen in this group:

Paul
                  Last edited by Dibble201Bty; 18 Feb 16, 23:08.
                  ‘Tis said his form is tiny, yet
                  All human ills he can subdue,
                  Or with a bauble or medal
                  Can win mans heart for you;
                  And many a blessing know to stew
                  To make a megloamaniac bright;
                  Give honour to the dainty Corse,
                  The Pixie is a little shite.

Comment

Originally posted by tcobb64 View Post
                    I'm not sure this is how he had them arranged. Several family members including kids had them. They could have been messed with.
                    ARCOM is also in the wrong order.

Comment

Originally posted by Dibble201Bty View Post
                      There is this:

Fifth row from the bottom, on the right hand page.

It is the ribbon to a WW1 French medal called the Medalle Saint-Mihiel 1918, and could have been awarded to an older member of the family

"They were awarded by the town itself, to Allied servicemen who fought between the Argonne and St.Mihel. As such, many American soldiers came back with this medal. Other versions of Verdun medal were struck as replacements, commemoratives, or just souviners, so possession of a Verdun medals does not necessarily denote active service in that area."

The above quote is from this site.

Near the bottom of the page.

http://www.gwpda.org/medals/frenmedl/france.html

The the Medalle Saint-Mihiel and its ribbon can be seen in this group:

Paul
                      Looks like we have a BINGO!

Comment

Thanks guys!

Comment

Dibble, close, but not a match. Compare the width of the scarlet stripe in the photo and the width of the same color on your chart. The photo shows a wider scarlet stripe. Damned good try on your part, though. I learned something about WWI medals.

Comment

My uncle was in Vietnam for several tours. I have a picture of his ribbon rack. I have identified all but one. It's the top right - red in the middle, yellow on both sides. Any ideas? I have search and search.
                            Wow on the man's service.

I cognize the

1. Bronze Star
                            2. ? yellow red yellow
                            3. ? red white red
                            4. Air Medal
                            5. VSM
                            6. Purple Heart
                            7. Good Conduct
                            8. Nat Defense
                            9. VN Cross Gallantry
                            10. VN Campaign
                            11. Army Commendation
                            12. Silver Star,
                            13. ? red
                            14. DSC
                            15. Pres Unit Citation.

Someone kindly check my work and name the ? rest for me-TIA

(School the hand in the pic how to orient the chevrons.)
                            Last edited by Jeffy; 20 Feb 16, 11:19.

Comment

My uncle was in Vietnam for several tours.
                              I can't seem to find any details of a soldier named Wright who relates to the decorations which have been presented. Five members of the Army named Wright earned a DSC in Vietnam. Two were posthumous. None of the remaining were Artillery, and it doesn't seem that they were career Army after the conflict. But I'll be the first to admit that relying on t'net for answers is not the most scholarly way to research.

Do you have any further details of your uncle's service which you can share?

Cheers,
                              Dan.
                              So long as men worship the Caesars and Napoleons, Caesars and Napoleons will duly rise and make them miserable.

Aldous Huxley: Ends and Means (1937)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X