A Raid Too Far: Operation Lam Son 719

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Raid Too Far: Operation Lam Son 719

A Raid Too Far: Operation Lam Son 719 by Dr. James Willbanks.

I found this interesting and am interested in the experts take on it. This is the description from YouTube.

Published on Feb 5, 2016
    Dr. James Willbanks presented as part of the 2016 Fort Leavenworth Series on military actions in Vietnam. He is the author of "A Raid Too Far," and is the General of the Army George C. Marshall Chair of Military History and the Director of the Department of Military History at the U.S. Army Command and General Staff College, Fort Leavenworth.

The problem with Lam Son 719 was that it was just a raid. It was kind of pointless to launch a ground incursion into Laos unless the objective was to establish a series of FSB's from Khe Sanh to Savannaket.

Willibanks is a good author and Vietnam historian. I may need to get the book...
    Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

Comment

Originally posted by The Ibis View Post
      A Raid Too Far: Operation Lam Son 719 by Dr. James Willbanks.

I found this interesting and am interested in the experts take on it. This is the description from YouTube.
      No expert--Thanks for posting it up--very informative, interesting summaries of 1971-75, remarks.

Wilbanks' conclusions at 34:30
      Summary of 1972-end 37:00 - 41:00--NVA remain in place, Phuoc Long, An Loc, Ban Me Thout, swan song...
      41:40 Q and A
      What should US have done differently? (ca 1973-on)
      Insist on NVA withdrawals
      46:00 False dichotomy (contra Sorley) of Westmoreland v Abrams aka
      Big Mil/S&D v COIN/pacification
      50:30 NV major mistakes
      51:00 VC 9th Div was all NVA
      53:00 re Giap, per LHT Nguyen
      56:45 framing US intervention
      58:10 unified command not

Comment

They pushed ARVN too fast, too far. The Viets need more time to build internal cohesion, and the corruption/political interference/patronage of the officer corps needed to be effectively addressed.
        Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
          They pushed ARVN too fast, too far. The Viets need more time to build internal cohesion, and the corruption/political interference/patronage of the officer corps needed to be effectively addressed.
          Exactly what I heard back in the 70(s).

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
          X