M-46 130 mm - gun or howitzer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M-46 130 mm - gun or howitzer?

Hello guys, I have a little question. Should I call M-46 a 'gun' or 'howitzer'? So far I've found 'gun' much more common and this definition seems to be correct, but at the same time it strikes me that M-46 is also often called a 'howitzer' or 'gun-howitzer'. I guess it's all about the lenght of it's barrel and max elevation.

What is your opinion on the matter? Which word is better to use? Perhaps both are correct?
    "[...]

While Brittania's Huns with their long-range guns
    Sailed in through the foggy dew.

[...]"

It's a Gun

Originally posted by Przemyslaw View Post
    Hello guys, I have a little question. Should I call M-46 a 'gun' or 'howitzer'? So far I've found 'gun' much more common and this definition seems to be correct, but at the same time it strikes me that M-46 is also often called a 'howitzer' or 'gun-howitzer'. I guess it's all about the lenght of it's barrel and max elevation.

What is your opinion on the matter? Which word is better to use? Perhaps both are correct?
    In their artillery museum in St. Petersberg, the Russians have labeled the M-46 a gun. Generally, the designation as a gun or a howitzer is dependent on the barrel length and the ability to fire at high angles. Sometimes muzzle velocity is added into the somewhat confusing mix. I don't think anybody but the Russians and (after reverse engineering some Russian systems) the Chinese call any of their systems gun/howitzers. They both have a number of artillery pieces designated as such, and with no real apparent (at least to me) logic for it. Note the various 152mm versions and a couple of 122mm.

Comment

I think gun is appropriate for the 130mm.

Comment

Originally posted by Gootzer View Post
        In their artillery museum in St. Petersberg, the Russians have labeled the M-46 a gun. Generally, the designation as a gun or a howitzer is dependent on the barrel length and the ability to fire at high angles. Sometimes muzzle velocity is added into the somewhat confusing mix. I don't think anybody but the Russians and (after reverse engineering some Russian systems) the Chinese call any of their systems gun/howitzers. They both have a number of artillery pieces designated as such, and with no real apparent (at least to me) logic for it. Note the various 152mm versions and a couple of 122mm.
        The Russians had formal definitions for Guns, Gun-howitzers, Howitzers, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Przemyslaw View Post

the main difference between a gun and a howtzer is that the gun shoots direct to target, like a rifle, flat trajectory of projectile. the howitzer shoots at a higher angle, indirect fire, so the projectile come from above. you can make the gun shoots like a howitzer by a high elevation, less powder charge or both. M-46 gun can do this, so you can call it a "gun-howitzer". ask Pruitt about his experience with this gun, he has great insights about M-46, and was shelled by one

here's the bad boy

Comment

Originally posted by kurt tank 152 View Post
            ask Pruitt about his experience with this gun, he has great insights about M-46, and was shelled by one

here's the bad boy

Reports of me being shelled by Artillery are greatly exaggerated unless you happened to be within earshot of my ex-wife offering me her opinion back in my married days. This was the gun the NVA used to shell Khe Sanh from their side of the DMZ!

Great Artillery piece, though!

Pruitt
            Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

That damn thing was a rifle! Those suckers would chase us half-way across the Tonkin Gulf and were scary as hell.

Fine gun...
              Skip

Comment

This was the gun the NVA used to shell Khe Sanh from their side of the DMZ!
                Yeah Richard; it could do something like 14 nautical miles. Damn sure could reach Ai Tu Combat Base/Quang Tri.
                Skip

Comment

You can be both a gun and a howitzer. The definition of a howitzer is a piece that can fire at elevation greater than 45 degrees. A gun is a piece that fires at elevations less than 45 degrees. If it can do both, it is a gun/howitzer.

Comment

Sorry. Did not see that someone had posted the answer already.

Comment

But here is something I can add - If you have a really good crew and fire direction on a good piece, you can fire one shell high angle, then fire another shell low angle, and the shells arrive simultaneously. Its pretty cool. Unless you're on the receiving end.

Comment

Someone might correct me but I think the M-46 could do 45 max elevation. Gave it maximum range there but couldn't shoot behind a hilltop or other defilade very well.

I was aware a 152mm flavor of this sunuvabitch was built but Gootzer mentioned a 122mm too.

Anyone know if PAVN used the 122 or 152 in the field or for costal defense north of the 17th parrallel? We got shot at by about everything and it's gotta be impossible to determine if a splash in the water is from a 122/130/152 mm round.
                        Skip

Comment

I bet you didn't hang around to find out either! Big splashes would scare me!

Pruitt
                          Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Originally posted by Pruitt View Post
                            I bet you didn't hang around to find out either! Big splashes would scare me!

Pruitt
                            You got that right! Any course approximating East seemed to be a dandy choice.

That would also explain why Mt 52 (the one in the back) performed most counterbattery fire.
                            Skip

Comment

Someone might correct me but I think the M-46 could do 45 max elevation
                              Yep, at least according to the Wiki.
                              "[...]

While Brittania's Huns with their long-range guns
                              Sailed in through the foggy dew.

[...]"

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Karri
                                Prawn heads
                                by Karri
                                How do you cook them? How do you eat them?

So far I've always just twisted them off, and discarded it along with the shells and such, only...
                                Yesterday, 11:40
                              • Jose50
                                Thoughts on the US abandoning NATO
                                by Jose50
                                Now may be a good time for the NATO countries to start beefing up their materiel, personnel and alliances. There is a decided wave here in the US that...
                                Yesterday, 08:41
                              • Von Richter
                                Sagittarius Rising...
                                by Von Richter
                                Just having a re-read of this book after it's stood for donkey's years on the bookshelf. Once again, within the first couple of pages, I'm transported...
                                Yesterday, 01:19
                              Working...
                              X