Famous Vietnam Veterans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Famous Vietnam Veterans

We all know a few famous Vietnam Vets and I found a list but I am sure it is not all inclusive. As an example I was reading an article in Forbes today about Richard Kinder, founder of Kinder Morgan Pipelines and one of the richest people in the world, an learned he was a Captain in the Army in Vietnam.

Here is a list I found:

*Radio personality Art Bell apparently served during the war (he was a USAF medic) but I can't confirm he was in Vietnam.
    *Actor/comedian Buzz Belmondo (whose real name is Lorenzo Matawaran) served in the Army in Vietnam.
    *Astronauts John Blaha, John Casper, Jon McBride, and Dick Scobee were combat pilots in Vietnam.
    *Rudy Boesch, of the reality series Survivor, served two tours in Vietnam.
    *Actor Blake Clark
    *Comic book artist Dave Cockrum served in the Navy during Vietnam but I don't know if he was in combat.
    *Author Stephen Coonts was a Navy combat pilot in Vietnam.
    *Author Nelson DeMille was an Army infantry lieutenant in Vietnam.
    *Author Robert Flynn
    *Nelson Ford, who helped develop the concept of shareware, was a Marine in Vietnam.
    *Sports team owner Peter Holt was an infantryman in Vietnam.
    *Comic book writer Larry Hama was an Army engineer in Vietnam.
    *Forrest Gump author Winston Groom served in the Army in Vietnam.
    *Software developer Jeff Sutherland was a USAF pilot in Vietnam.
    *Author Tracy Kidder
    *Sixty Minutes journalist Steve Kroft served in the Amry in Vietnam
    *Actor Dan Lauria was a Marine officer in Vietnam.
    *Actor Richard Lawson
    *Actor Al Matthews was a Marine in Vietnam.
    *Author Armistead Maupin is a Navy veteran who served a tour in Vietnam.
    *GoDaddy.com CEO Bob Parsons was a Marine in Vietnam.
    *Wheel of Fortune host Pat Sajak served in the Army in Vietnam.
    *Filmmaker Tom Savini
    *Playwright Larry Shue served in the Army in Vietnam
    *FedEx CEO Frederick Smith was a Marine in Vietnam.
    *Football player Roger Staubach was a Navy officer who served a tour in Vietnam.
    *Actor Wes Studi served in the Army in Vietnam
    *Actor/politician Jesse Ventura was a Navy Seal during Vietnam but I don't know if he served in combat.
    *Author Robert Vaughan was an Army officer in Vietnam.
    *Comedian Ron White was in the Navy during Vietnam but I don't know if he served in combat.
    *The Allman Brothers Band's bassist Lamar Williams served in the Army in Vietnam.
    *Actor Demond Wilson

I would be interested in any others you may know of.

NFL player Rocky Blier served in the Army's Americal Division and was WIA in Vietnam.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down one's life for one's friends John 15:13

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaKid View Post
      NFL player Rocky Blier served in the Army's Americal Division and was WIA in Vietnam.
      And most of the other people mentioned aren't worthy to carry Rocky Bleier's spit -- in my opinion...
      The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated ~ Mark Twain

Comment

Don't forget Oliver stone who served in the army and Dale Dye who served with the Marines in Vietnam. Their movie 'Platoon' has been discussed many times on this site.
        "War is hell, but actual combat is a motherf#cker"
        - Col. David Hackworth

Comment

Jesse' Ventura's claim of SEAL service had been challenged. He did go through BUD/S training which all SEALs go through, but he was assigned to UDT Team 22.

And if we're mentioning Oliver Stone, we might as well include John Kerry;-)
          dit: Lirelou

Phong trần mài một lưỡi gươm, Những loài giá áo túi cơm sá ǵ!

Comment

Originally posted by ussfa344 View Post
            And most of the other people mentioned aren't worthy to carry Rocky Bleier's spit -- in my opinion...
            You want a debate????

Look else were.

To Rocky and all the other unknowns
            "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by lirelou View Post
              Jesse' Ventura's claim of SEAL service had been challenged. He did go through BUD/S training which all SEALs go through, but he was assigned to UDT Team 22.

And if we're mentioning Oliver Stone, we might as well include John Kerry;-)
              Did they get red mud on their boots?
              "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Actor Dennis Franz.

Glad to see Wes Studi was remembered. Interesting guy: he spoke only Cherokee until he started grade school and made his living as a horse trainer for a while after Vietnam. He has always done his own riding scenes, including the bareback riding scenes as the bad Pawnee in Dances With Wolves.

In an industry full of whould be tough men I think Studi is the real deal and probably really was tough as a young man.
                Last edited by KRJ; 30 Nov 12, 20:39.
                "Shoot for the epaulets, boys! Shoot for the epaulets!" - Daniel Morgan

Comment

Senator John McCain, POW. Still suffers disability from his rough treatment by the NVA.
                  Digger O'Dell, POW, suffered a broken neck during interrogation by the NVA.
                  Ernst Brace, civilian captured in Laos, spent a week buried up to his neck as punishment. Lived in a doghouse sized cage for over four years.

There are, of course, numerous others.
                  “Breaking News,”

“Something irrelevant in your life just happened and now we are going to blow it all out of proportion for days to keep you distracted from what's really going on.”

Comment

While I was in the Canadian Army, the Chief of Defence Staff was a soldier by the name of Jacques Dextraze. Dextraze was an infantry officer veteran of the Second World War and Korea. In 1963 he was made a Commander of the Order of the British Empire for staring down the rebels while serving on the UN mission to the Congo. I never met the man but saw him briefly in 1977 while he observed the infantry officer candidates under training at the Combat Arms School.

On April 29, 1969, his eldest son, 21-year old L/Cpl Richard Paul Dextraze USMC, was killed in Quang Tri Province while serving with H&S Co, 2nd Bn, 9th Marines. The 2/9th were responsible for the security of Route 9 from Dong Ha west to Khe Sanh. Richard was attached to Easy Co and killed in the fighting on Dong Kio mountain, seven miles west of Cam Lo. He was awarded a posthumous Silver Star.

Richard was in the 10th month of his tour.

Cheers,
                    Dan.

So long as men worship the Caesars and Napoleons, Caesars and Napoleons will duly rise and make them miserable.

Aldous Huxley: Ends and Means (1937)

Comment

John Walton, son of Sam Walton was in the Special forces in Vietnam: SOG, according to John Plaster.

i also don't see Jim Webb mentioned here, a former Marine, nor Tim O'Brien, former Army

And how about Al Gore?
                      Happy just to be alive

Americans will always do the right thing.
                      After they've tried everything else
                      Winston Churchill

Comment

Colin Powell............. Schwarzkoph...........

Comment

A couple of questions:

Why is Rocky Blier so revered?

Is Oliver Stone's Purple Heart really bogus? I recall someone saying his wound was receiving shrapnel while diving off a bar stool.
                          Flag: USA / Location: West Coast

Prayers.

BoRG

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtsX_Z3CMU

Comment

Originally posted by Salinator View Post
                            A couple of questions:

Why is Rocky Blier so revered?

Is Oliver Stone's Purple Heart really bogus? I recall someone saying his wound was receiving shrapnel while diving off a bar stool.
                            Who said that? And which Purple Heart he got is supposed to be bogus? the one where he was shot by a bullet or the one where he was hit by shrapnel?

i always admired Rocky Bleier because of his comeback from wounds---bullet and shrpnel-- and for the fact that while he was playing he was the onhy Vietnam veteran playing in the NFL. Thats right, all those physicaly fit men in the NFL were evidently not healthy enough to serve in Vietnam
                            Happy just to be alive

Americans will always do the right thing.
                            After they've tried everything else
                            Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by exlrrp View Post
                              Who said that? And which Purple Heart he got is supposed to be bogus? the one where he was shot by a bullet or the one where he was hit by shrapnel?
                              The one by shrapnel. I don't remember who said it. And I have no idea whether true or not, that is why I am asking if anyone knows if it was true about the bar stool part.
                              Flag: USA / Location: West Coast

Prayers.

BoRG

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtsX_Z3CMU

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X