Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lima 85 or how the war in Vietnam ended.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lima 85 or how the war in Vietnam ended.

http://home.earthlink.net/~aircommando1/secord85.html Honored and Betrayed by Richard Secord.

Udorn Thailand 1966. Richard Secord (later indicted on 6 felony charges) (Google Richard Secord Zieng Khouang Air Transport Company). Said, “Sullivan rejected out of hand our request for even a tiny contingent of SF troops to reinforce Site 85. He believed that if Washington wanted Special Forces to get in the act, it would have said so in the directives, which it had not.” and “Tom Clines inspected the portion of their work at the base of the mountain designed to act as an enemy trip wire and declared that, with a little artillery support, he could take the hill with a troop of Boy Scouts. Again, we requested Special forces through the ambassador. Again, we were denied.” “I pleaded to my superiors, but my protests were shrugged off. The ambassador had decided: better a clean corpse than one found clutching an M-16 with Army serial numbers.”

On my own authority, I drew 40 M-16s from USAF stock at Udorn, plus a number of CIA-issue Browning auto pistols and cases of hand grenades (and lots of ammo) and delivered it to the case officer on-site Ambassador Sullivan met with Laotian Prime Minister Souvanna Phouma on March 15 to give him the bad news: The sensitive facilities on Site 85 had not been totally destroyed prior to evacuation, and some Americans had been left behind-presumably killed but possibly captured, although this was unlikely.

Ambassador Sullivan met with Laotian Prime Minister Souvanna Phouma on March 15 to give him the bad news: The sensitive facilities on Site 85 had not been totally destroyed prior to evacuation, and some Americans had been left behind-presumably killed but possibly captured, although this was unlikely. I told him the loss of Site 85, which during its existence had directed over a quarter of all bombing missions in North Vietnam, had been a major disaster made worse by the loss of nearly the entire team and the compromise of our TSQ technology and a variety of top-secret encryption systems that we could only assume were now safely on the way to Moscow. Even more infuriating, the loss could have been prevented easily at any of a dozen decision points over the past few months, beginning with Ambassador William Sullivan's inability or disinclination to deal with the problem realistically.

Then on April 1st(no less), we heard that Lyndon Johnson had gone on national television and announced he would not seek reelection. Instead, he said he would devote his remaining months in office to securing an honorable peace in Vietnam Did the fiasco at Lima 85 cause Johnson to resign?

I think it was the straw that broke the camels back.
    Last edited by mark45y; 13 Sep 12, 20:22.

Originally posted by mark45y View Post
    http://home.earthlink.net/~aircommando1/secord85.html Honored and Betrayed by Richard Secord.

Udorn Thailand 1966. Richard Secord (later indicted on 6 felony charges) (Google Richard Secord Zieng Khouang Air Transport Company). Said, “Sullivan rejected out of hand our request for even a tiny contingent of SF troops to reinforce Site 85. He believed that if Washington wanted Special Forces to get in the act, it would have said so in the directives, which it had not.” and “Tom Clines inspected the portion of their work at the base of the mountain designed to act as an enemy trip wire and declared that, with a little artillery support, he could take the hill with a troop of Boy Scouts. Again, we requested Special forces through the ambassador. Again, we were denied.” “I pleaded to my superiors, but my protests were shrugged off. The ambassador had decided: better a clean corpse than one found clutching an M-16 with Army serial numbers.”

On my own authority, I drew 40 M-16s from USAF stock at Udorn, plus a number of CIA-issue Browning auto pistols and cases of hand grenades (and lots of ammo) and delivered it to the case officer on-site Ambassador Sullivan met with Laotian Prime Minister Souvanna Phouma on March 15 to give him the bad news: The sensitive facilities on Site 85 had not been totally destroyed prior to evacuation, and some Americans had been left behind-presumably killed but possibly captured, although this was unlikely.

Ambassador Sullivan met with Laotian Prime Minister Souvanna Phouma on March 15 to give him the bad news: The sensitive facilities on Site 85 had not been totally destroyed prior to evacuation, and some Americans had been left behind-presumably killed but possibly captured, although this was unlikely. I told him the loss of Site 85, which during its existence had directed over a quarter of all bombing missions in North Vietnam, had been a major disaster made worse by the loss of nearly the entire team and the compromise of our TSQ technology and a variety of top-secret encryption systems that we could only assume were now safely on the way to Moscow. Even more infuriating, the loss could have been prevented easily at any of a dozen decision points over the past few months, beginning with Ambassador William Sullivan's inability or disinclination to deal with the problem realistically.

Then on April 1st(no less), we heard that Lyndon Johnson had gone on national television and announced he would not seek reelection. Instead, he said he would devote his remaining months in office to securing an honorable peace in Vietnam Did the fiasco at Lima 85 cause Johnson to resign?

I think it was the straw that broke the camels back.
    Mark -- If you haven't yet, be sure you check out our earlier discussion on Lima Site 85 at http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forum...ma+Site&page=2

-- RR
    www.RadioVietnam.net

Comment

Originally posted by Miss Saigon View Post
      All of the personnel at LS 85 were required to have discharges before going to Laos. All were promised full reinstatement after their tour at LS 85 were complete.

For further reading on this event I recommend the following book by Timothy Castle. It has been a few years since I read it, but I recall that it was a very interesting read. It is the definitive account in English.

Comment

It's a good book. That place had all the players. Secord, Tony P, Vang Pao and the Order of the White Elephant. Medals for failure and death for heros. At some point in time you just have to say F it. Johnson realized on April Fools day. LBJ was a good politician. I wonder what tipped him over the edge.

If you crashed your helicopter in Laos you had to call me on a land line. See, we were not in Laos so you couldn't use the radio. Not many phone booths by Lima 85.

I have a number of medals. Not big ones just the usual stuff but they should have given me one for for keeping a straight face during the briefings. Now that was difficult.
        Last edited by mark45y; 14 Sep 12, 19:07.

Comment

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
          X