ARVN tigerstripe camo.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ARVN tigerstripe camo.

Bit of a random question: did any 'line' ARVN units (ie not Rangers or SF) ever wear tigerstripe camo? I just ask because there's a photo from the AWM collection printed in To Long Tan that shows a group of ARVN soldiers moving into a position during a C&S of Hoa Long village (Operation BUNDABERG) in Oct 1966. They're identified as being from the 1/43d - got no reason to think they're not except the camouflage. There was a Ranger unit of some kind in the province at the start of 1966 (referred to as a commando company by the Australians and 'Panther' outfit by subsequent Communist accounts), but I've struggled to track down concrete information on it. Any of the old boonies out there got some ideas?

Colonel Summers' widely quoted critique of US strategy in the Vietnam War is having a modest vogue...it is poor history, poor strategy, and poor Clausewitz to boot - Robet Komer, Survival, 27:2, p. 94.

Jester, the ARVN Marine Corps used a version of the Tiger Stripe uniform, and I've been told that some of the Army divisional reconnaissance companies did as well.
    dit: Lirelou

Phong trần mài một lưỡi gươm, Những loài giá áo túi cơm sá ǵ!

Comment

While not part of ARVN, or even coming under the GVN's Ministry of Defense, the Provincial Reconnaissance Units [PRUs] were equipped with tiger stripes for regular [daily] wear. Agency funds supported this paramilitry PRU program, so both tiger stripe and black pajamas were issued items.

When the mission required the PRUs to appear like a VC unit moving through the area and/or not otherwise arouse unnecessary alarm by their different appearance, black PJs were worn. It always amused me seeing how a 6-foot plus, 225-pound, blond, blue eyed, SEAL Advisor, wearing black PJs, thought he blended in.

When uniform appearance wasn't considered to be mission critical, tiger stripes were worn.
      MACV - First In, Last Out

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• casanova
        Berlin.1945
        by casanova
        The Sowjet T-34 tank against a German Tiger tank in Berlin in the II World War in 1945. ...
        Yesterday, 23:41
      • casanova
        AW 169M
        by casanova
        The Austrian minister of defence Klaudia Tanner declared the buy of 18 Italian military helicopters of the type AW 169M for the Austrian army, the Bundesheer....
        Yesterday, 23:26
      • JBark
        What changed?
        by JBark
        There was a time not too long ago when this forum was full of discussion, multiple posts, votes and involved discussions on the best of the war, etc.,...
        Yesterday, 18:54
      Working...
      X