Never say never, especially of Nam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Never say never, especially of Nam

Since I have been advised to not read Phieu's thread"What you still may not know about the Ia Drang vally battle,and I don't want to mix"What I still may know as fact with Phieu's,and others ramblings,I submit this.
    Post#1294"Chinooks were never employed in air assaults on potentially hot LZ's"is misleading and incorrect.
    As a member of a Marine rifle company in 1969 I participated a number of times in react rescue tactics known as"Sparrow Hawk"in northern I Corps.Some insertions were hot LZ's some were not,some never got off the ground.Chinooks is what we used in all of them,and they were assaults on the enemy from the air.
    A side note,265 crewmen of the Chinook died in Vietnam,the last one added to the Wall in DC in 1997 died of wounds received while on a"Sparrow Hawk".
    Attached Files
    The history addict asked me,"Where did you fought?"
    Me...Damn..."I'm not sure."

I think you're mistaking CH-47 Chinook helicopters with CH-46 Sea Knights. The Corps never used Chinooks in Vietnam, although CH-46s were frequently employed in combat-assaults.

Comment

Originally posted by Boonierat View Post
      I think you're mistaking CH-47 Chinook helicopters with CH-46 Sea Knights. The Corps never used Chinooks in Vietnam, although CH-46s were frequently employed in combat-assaults.

You might have missed something. He said he was on such combat assualts with CH47's.
      "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
        You might have missed something. He said he was on such combat assualts with CH47's.
        And I'm saying he is mistaking CH46s with CH47s, a common mistake

CH46:

CH-47:

Comment

You say Chinook,I say Chinook,mox nix.Why do I feel like I just bought a bad used car?The Army Aviation was used by the Corp for many things after our Air Wing bugged out in69.
          YOU must be right,I must be wrong,but.....we still called them"Chinooks"back in the day.
          Last edited by hankwill; 03 Sep 12, 13:23.

Comment

Originally posted by hankwill View Post
            You say Chinook,I say Chinook,mox nix
            And I say it again, the Corps never used Chinooks in Vietnam for troop transport, only UH-34 Sea Horses, CH-46 Sea Knights and CH-53 Sea Stallions. The only way for you to have flown in Chinooks in 1969 in I Corps is if the 3d MarDiv had borrowed some from the 101st Airborne Division (Airmobile).

Comment

And I'm saying he is mistaking CH46s with CH47s, a common mistake

CH46:

CH-47:
              I spent 22 years looking at aircarft one of those in Nam. What did you do?

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
                I spent 22 years looking at aircarft one of those in Nam. What did you do?
                Spent about as much time looking at Vietnam aircraft in books and I'm ready to bet you never saw a CH-46 down in Duc Pho.

Comment

Originally posted by hankwill View Post
                  You say Chinook,I say Chinook,mox nix.Why do I feel like I just bought a bad used car?The Army Aviation was used by the Corp for many things after our Air Wing bugged out in69.
                  YOU must be right,I must be wrong,but.....we still called them"Chinooks"back in the day.
                  Have to agree with you hankwill and hpj on this one. Never say never.
                  "War is hell, but actual combat is a motherf#cker"
                  - Col. David Hackworth

Comment

Originally posted by DeltaOne View Post
                    Never say never.
                    Cool, means one day we might finally get to know which recon team you served with in CCN

Comment

Cool, means one day we might finally get to know which recon team you served with in CCN
                      Possibly. Perhaps Lirelou may adopt you as his minime too.
                      - Col. David Hackworth

Comment

Originally posted by DeltaOne View Post
                        Perhaps Lirelou may adopt you as his minime too.
                        I would be honored.

Comment

nt
                          Attached Files

Comment

I am sure you would. I out grew hero worship by the time I was 13.
                            Surprise, if you agree with two other combat vets, you can expect a dumb response from just about anyone.
                            - Col. David Hackworth

Comment

Spent about as much time looking at Vietnam aircraft in books and I'm ready to bet you never saw a CH-46 down in Duc Pho.
                              Then you don't know that Duc Pho was first fought for my the USMC, the runway was laid by the Seabees. And as a matter of Fact I did see ONE 46 in DP. But reading books doesn't alway reaplace first hand knowledge now, does it?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X