Copter history slipping away

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Copter history slipping away

Whenever I see a VN War helicopter displayed on a pedestal outdoors or view another inside a museum I'm always wondering about the stories left unsaid, undocumented, unrecorded about these birds. Pilots & crew are one thing but what about all the passengers who surely outnumbered them one hundred-to-one, their recollections and anecdotes are valuable just the same. The future may want to know.

Originally posted by copternameking View Post
    Whenever I see a VN War helicopter displayed on a pedestal outdoors or view another inside a museum I'm always wondering about the stories left unsaid, undocumented, unrecorded about these birds. Pilots & crew are one thing but what about all the passengers who surely outnumbered them one hundred-to-one, their recollections and anecdotes are valuable just the same. The future may want to know.
    There is not enough paper for all those recollectons. Each one of us has different ones from the same flight. One flight on a Huey the only seatthat I found was on a load of the air dropable movement sensors. I was very happy that the flight was flat and more or less smooth. My seat kept moving under me and seat belts were something used in cars back in the States.
    Last edited by Half Pint John; 03 Sep 12, 17:14.
    "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

John, I had a family gathering this weekend, sisters and brother in-laws, one BIL former Marine (mid 80's) we all passed your book around. I think everyone scoured over every page asking lots of questions about VN. I pulled out my (small but growing) stack of books and talked about the war, lot of politics and about the perception of VN. The book of cool pictures got it going (flash boom and bang color pics) and the conversations turned to the grit- American Patriotism and those who make it possible......So, Wanted to say, keep em coming!
      Thank you! Len

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint John
        Sorry Leo, I have never written a book, but still educating the FNG's to the war is always a good thing imo.
        Thanks Sir! .... I was reffering to John Brennan that did the Copter nose art book that was just released (got it Friday). Lots of pretty colored pictures always gets em in the door...it's like candy ..

Comment

Helicopter book

Thanks Len, this photo book looks to be a winner with everyone so far. The publisher wants Vol II if I can round up another colorful 300 photos. That's gonna be a tough act to follow. John Brennan

Comment

I like this site for Vietnam era choppers and action:

http://vietnam-hueys.tripod.com/
            "A common thug can kill someone, but it takes the talents of an intelligence service to make a murder appear to be a suicide or accident death." -- James Angleton, CIA, Chief of Counterintelligence.

Comment

Digital artist

That particular website is operated by webmaster & artist Geoff Liebrandt. I hired him, more correctly, commissioned him to design the book cover for my first book, "U.S. Army Helicopter Names In Vietnam" (Hellgate Press, 2011). Very talented fellow indeed.

Comment

That sounds like a book worth reading.
                "A common thug can kill someone, but it takes the talents of an intelligence service to make a murder appear to be a suicide or accident death." -- James Angleton, CIA, Chief of Counterintelligence.

Comment

That particular website is operated by webmaster & artist Geoff Liebrandt. I hired him, more correctly, commissioned him to design the book cover for my first book, "U.S. Army Helicopter Names In Vietnam" (Hellgate Press, 2011). Very talented fellow indeed.
                  John, your name just caught up to my gray cells. Are you the author of a couple great books on the Vietnam war?

Comment

Author names

I have two helicopter books out under the name of John Brennan. There is another VN War author by the name of Matt Brennan who published three popular Cav books I believe several years ago. No relation but a darn good Irishman.

Comment

Matthew Brennan's three books offer some great memories of the helicopter war fought by members of 1st Squadron, 9th Cavalry.

I posted a video of a former 1/9 member reminiscing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8r9EOruBT8k

And two more that are slideshows by former members of the 11th ACR Aero-Rifle Platoon:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJnqbWf_zyQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qleROZeyDho

I know the ARPs are not the only soldiers with worthy memories of the helicopter war but I'm fascinated by the aero-rifle platoons.

Consider this for some perspective: I heard one Vietnam infantry vet say he made over twenty combat air assaults in his year. Only a few of them were hot and one of them was bad. I heard a former ARP say he made over two hundred combat air assaults in his year. He once made four in one day with two of them being hot and one of them being bad.
                      "Shoot for the epaulets, boys! Shoot for the epaulets!" - Daniel Morgan

Comment

Solid videos

I watched them all, thanks for sharing them. The film-maker who interviewed Joe Kelbus is Jeremy Hogan, who I met in St. Louis at the 2011 VHCMA reunion. Great guy. Contributed several photo to my new helicopter photo book. His father, Jerry Hogan, a real gentlemen, I met in Reno at the 2012 VHCMA reunion. Flew as door gunner/crew chief on THE MAGIC BUS with B Troop 1/9.

Comment

Originally posted by KRJ View Post
                          Matthew Brennan's three books offer some great memories of the helicopter war fought by members of 1st Squadron, 9th Cavalry.

I posted a video of a former 1/9 member reminiscing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8r9EOruBT8k

And two more that are slideshows by former members of the 11th ACR Aero-Rifle Platoon:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJnqbWf_zyQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qleROZeyDho

I know the ARPs are not the only soldiers with worthy memories of the helicopter war but I'm fascinated by the aero-rifle platoons.

Consider this for some perspective: I heard one Vietnam infantry vet say he made over twenty combat air assaults in his year. Only a few of them were hot and one of them was bad. I heard a former ARP say he made over two hundred combat air assaults in his year. He once made four in one day with two of them being hot and one of them being bad.
                          The Blues were certainly a special soldier. Depending on the era, when the launched they knew it was in to combat, the only question was how hot the LZ was going to be. I loved Matt Brennan's books. I reread them so much they fell apart.

Comment

I have two helicopter books out under the name of John Brennan. There is another VN War author by the name of Matt Brennan who published three popular Cav books I believe several years ago. No relation but a darn good Irishman.

IIRC the call sign was "Kingsmen"

I enjoyed the H out of both and passed them on to a younger generation.

Comment

Slipping away?

An article in Leatherneck magazine states that a Marine flew the exact same aircraft,CH-46 Sky Knight, in Iraq for two tours that her father had flown in Vietnam.
                              Semper Fi Captain Eileen Donovan.
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by hankwill; 05 Sep 12, 14:16.
                              The history addict asked me,"Where did you fought?"
                              Me...Damn..."I'm not sure."

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X