No announcement yet.

Question about Conscription during Vietnam war

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Had Four puerto ricans in my company in nam............did not know if they were drafted or not................

Probably worth mentioning,there were more than a few soldiers who were given the alternative of spending some time in jail or they would have charges dropped if they "enlisted"............

Comment

Originally posted by jeffdoorgunnr View Post
      Had Four puerto ricans in my company in nam............did not know if they were drafted or not................

Probably worth mentioning,there were more than a few soldiers who were given the alternative of spending some time in jail or they would have charges dropped if they "enlisted"............
      I believe Ken Jensen ( God rest his soul) mentioned that he had relatives who went to jail for refusing to fight or support the war effort by doing something else.
      "War is hell, but actual combat is a motherf#cker"
      - Col. David Hackworth

Comment

This lottery number..........

Was it just assigned when a draft is in progress? Vietnam was way done by the time I filled out my draft card. I don't remember any sort of correspondence after that.
        Flag: USA / Location: West Coast

Prayers.

BoRG

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtsX_Z3CMU

Comment

Originally posted by jeffdoorgunnr View Post

My next door neighbor got in trouble with the law. Shot a kid in the hand with a .22 caliber rifle for messing with him. The judge gave him a light sentence... join the Marines or go to jail. He joined the Marines and shot so well at Paris Island that they made him teach marksmanship to recruits. After about a year he made it home on leave and he and his Dad went to complain to his recruiter. He finally was able to leave Paris Island and get his advanced training.
          My worst jump story:
          My 13th jump was on the 13th day of the month, aircraft number 013.
          As recorded on my DA Form 1307 Individual Jump Log.
          No lie.

~
          "Everything looks all right. Have a good jump, eh."
          -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

He should be grateful he couldn't type. Try to pry a skilled typist away from the First Sergeant!

Pruitt
            Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

All I know about the draft is that I got picked in late November along with a busload from Saginaw County, was shipped to Fort Knox Kentucky, Joined an equal number from New Jersey, and was split up 50 50 with my half sent to Fort Lewis Washington and the other half to Fort Dix. They went to Germany and my half went to Vietnam.

Our draft included a German exchange student who went through nine months of unit training but didn't get sent to Vietnam due to his foreign status.

Our first casualty occurred before we were sent over by troopship. He was an orphan drafted out of the orphanage that turned out to be such a loser that he hung himself in the brig while awaiting court marshal.
              “Breaking News,”

“Something irrelevant in your life just happened and now we are going to blow it all out of proportion for days to keep you distracted from what's really going on.”

Comment

Our draft included a German exchange student who went through nine months of unit training but didn't get sent to Vietnam due to his foreign status.
                That's interesting in that I knew a few Brits and a fair number of Canadians who served in Vietnam, but they had all voluntarily enlisted. Considering that Americans born in France and Germany were eligible for conscription in those countries at the time, I wonder if there wasn't some sort of Gentlemen's agreement between the U.S. and our NATO allies on draftees. I.e., if they sign up as volunteers, we'll send them, but not if they're drafted. I say "NATO" because I had a Palestinian in one of my companies who had lost part of his foot to a mine in Vietnam. Most Palestinians were Israeli or Jordanian citizens, neither one of which is a NATO Ally.
                dit: Lirelou

Phong trần mài một lưỡi gươm, Những loài giá áo túi cơm sá gì!

Comment

Originally posted by SRV Ron View Post
                  In There It Is: A Canadian in the Vietnam War by Les Brown, he talks about his experience as an 18-year old Canadian residing with his family in Los Angeles in the summer of 1968. He wrestled with the decision as to whether or not to stay in California with his friends and be drafted or return to Canada. In the end he stayed, was drafted, and ended up an infantry soldier in Vietnam.

Now the reason I bring him up is that, according to his reminisce, during his basic training he was directed to sign extra forms due to his being a foreign national. One, he was told, he needed to sign in order to be eligible to serve in Vietnam. After asking why he should sign it, he was told to shut up and sign. Which he did.

It seems that, while eligible for the draft to help defend the United States, foreign nationals could not be compelled to serve overseas unless they specifically volunteered to do so.

Originally posted by nrbrooks503
                  I received a draft notice in December 1965 and in January 1966 was at Ft. Leonard Wood wondering what happened. August 1966 I was in Vietnam.
                  Nigel, at some point in your journey you must have 'volunteered' for Vietnam. Do you recall signing the form?

Cheers,
                  Dan.

So long as men worship the Caesars and Napoleons, Caesars and Napoleons will duly rise and make them miserable.

Aldous Huxley: Ends and Means (1937)

Comment

Originally posted by mimike View Post
                    I was drafted in 1966 from S. CA within weeks of dropping out of college (without my dads knowledge). My father was politically connected in Orange County and very “old school”, to this day I believe he had something to do with my being drafted so quickly after dropping out.
                    It was possible to 'volunteer' to be drafted, perhaps that's what your Dad did for you. Some did this so they'd know when they'd be uprooted or didn't want to enlist and serve a third year.
                    "If you are right, then you are right even if everyone says you are wrong. If you are wrong then you are wrong even if everyone says you are right." William Penn.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan M View Post
                      In There It Is: A Canadian in the Vietnam War by Les Brown, he talks about his experience as an 18-year old Canadian residing with his family in Los Angeles in the summer of 1968. He wrestled with the decision as to whether or not to stay in California with his friends and be drafted or return to Canada. In the end he stayed, was drafted, and ended up an infantry soldier in Vietnam.

Now the reason I bring him up is that, according to his reminisce, during his basic training he was directed to sign extra forms due to his being a foreign national. One, he was told, he needed to sign in order to be eligible to serve in Vietnam. After asking why he should sign it, he was told to shut up and sign. Which he did.

It seems that, while eligible for the draft to help defend the United States, foreign nationals could not be compelled to serve overseas unless they specifically volunteered to do so.

Nigel, at some point in your journey you must have 'volunteered' for Vietnam. Do you recall signing the form?

Cheers,
                      Dan.

I never signed any form and never heard of such a form.

All males who were permanent residents in the United States were eligible for the draft. I'm not aware of any provisions that would have exempted anyone drafted from serving in Vietnam, other than the fact that they had to be at least 18 years old.

I should have added a smiley to the "wondering what happened". I knew full well what had happened - I was 18 1/2 in August when I registered, was the only one drafted from the community in Jan 66 and was the new guy. I figured that what actually happened is that Bill Clinton was in England at the time, and had failed to heed a Selective Service notice - I probably took his place.
                      Last edited by nbrooks503; 07 Sep 12, 15:38.
                      Vietnam - US Army, Aug 66-Feb 68
                      Vietnam - USG Civilian, Feb 68-Aug 71
                      Special Agent/Criminal Investigator - US Customs Jan 72-Jan 2001
                      Wannabe Concert and Sports Photographer

Comment

Originally posted by nbrooks503 View Post
                        I figured that what actually happened is that Bill Clinton was in England at the time, and had failed to heed a Selective Service notice - I probably took his place.
                        I should think then, that Monica Lewinsky owes you something.

Cheers,
                        Dan.

So long as men worship the Caesars and Napoleons, Caesars and Napoleons will duly rise and make them miserable.

Aldous Huxley: Ends and Means (1937)

Comment

Hey! It's the Democrats poster boy for womens rights! Yep, he leads the coalition against the Republicans war on women! .... I can't even type that without laughing..... sad...sad.

Mr Boney Finger! Yeah, what a patriot! So supportive of the Vets! He almost was one, but just didn't work out for him, blind luck I spose

Comment

Too bad Billy Bob didn't go.... his name would have been on The Wall and Monica could have saved the dress.
                            My worst jump story:
                            My 13th jump was on the 13th day of the month, aircraft number 013.
                            As recorded on my DA Form 1307 Individual Jump Log.
                            No lie.

~
                            "Everything looks all right. Have a good jump, eh."
                            -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

Originally posted by Leonardo63 View Post
                              Hey! It's the Democrats poster boy for womens rights! Yep, he leads the coalition against the Republicans war on women! .... I can't even type that without laughing..... sad...sad.

Mr Boney Finger! Yeah, what a patriot! So supportive of the Vets! He almost was one, but just didn't work out for him, blind luck I spose

Unless you are discussing his activities related to the Vietnam war, I would appreciate it if everyone would keep the politics over in the politics section. Thank You

Comment

Originally posted by hankwill View Post
                                Learn something every day.I was under the impression that Native Americans couldnot be forcibly drafted.Served with afew of them in the M.C..Good men.
                                I don’t know if Native Americans could be drafted at this time (VN era) or not. If you have any reference’s I would be interested in know about them.
                                If it was in effect then I guess many non-natives tried to use it to not be drafted and the military was not wont to put it in your records.

I was drafted from S. CA along with hundreds of others. We were “mass processed” and my skin color does not reflect my ancestry. Whoever filled out my paperwork listed me as white and a draftee does not get to question much of anything, they just tell you it will be fixed at your next duty station.

I served with many other Native Americans but I don’t recall if any of them were drafted.

This subject came up again a few years later when I tried to change my records. Despite providing the Army with documented proof of my tribal membership (Muscogee (Creek)) they were very reluctant to reflect this in my 201 file.

I was told (unofficially) that the Army had (has?) an un written (or at least not public) promotion policy (which can also apply to some assignments). If 15% of the Army is black then every attempt is made to promote 15% of the eligible black soldiers. This policy also applies to other minorities (Hispanic, Asian, Female and Native American) and, in my case, the Army did not want to complicate the system any more than it already was.

This policy makes sense, if it were not in effect minorities may well be squeezed out of promotions by the numbers of whites in uniform. By the same reasoning some minorities may get promoted undeservedly.

I eventually did get my records changed but by this time I had gone about as high as I could. I don’t think this policy had any effect on my career.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X