Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ken Burns Film

From the Americal Division Veterans Association --

Florentine Films (Ken Burns), a leading maker of documentaries for PBS, is looking for veterans of Co. A, 3rd Battalion, 21st Infantry Regiment (Battalion) (3/21) who served in Vietnam during the summer of 1969 to potentially interview for a forth-coming series about the Vietnam War.

Veterans who fit this description should contact co-producer Mike Welt at
    [email protected]. More info about Florentine Films can be obtained at

www.florentinefilms.com
    Looks like its in production and due for release in 2016 - the year I plan to finally retire!

-- RR
    Last edited by RadioResearcher; 23 Aug 12, 19:53.
    www.RadioVietnam.net

Originally posted by RadioResearcher View Post
    From the Americal Division Veterans Association --

Looks like its in production and due for release in 2016 - the year I plan to finally retire!

-- RR
    Must be about the Que Son-Hiep Duc offensive. I just remembered, I could have the wrong battalion, but I think they were the company that refused to move out one day. The battalion commander took command and led them out. The company commander was relieved and wound up being charge of the "Charger Hotel" stand-down center.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down one's life for one's friends John 15:13

Comment

Ken Burns Vietnam TV series

http://kenburns.com/films/vietnam/

Update: Looks like the Burns/Novick 10 part 18 hour series "Vietnam" won't begin airing until 2017.

A preview came out last year:
      https://hop.dartmouth.edu/ArticleMed...%20HopNews.pdf
      Ken Burns “unpacks” his latest film project in special screening July 11 May 27, 2015 (Hopkins center for the Arts):
      "rather than show a finished work, he’ll show an in-progress episode and detail the creative process behind it: the integration and balance
      of oncamera interviews, third-person narration, archival footage and photographs, music, sound effects and live cinematography—a rare
      opportunity to experience how Burns and his team craft their extraordinary films..."
      The article provides an additional synopsis.

The most complete background article remains the PBS 2011 link
      http://www.pbs.org/about/blogs/news/...ct-vietnam-wt/
      “Today, more than four decades after it ended, nearly everyone has an opinion about the Vietnam War, but few Americans truly know its history and there is little consensus about what happened there, or why,” said Ken Burns. “Our series will shed light both on the history of the war, and on our inability to find common ground about it.”

The most ambitious remark:

“We feel it is of paramount importance to honor the service and sacrifice of the men and women who did what our country asked of them, and went to Vietnam,” said Lynn Novick. “By providing an opportunity for veterans, their families, and those who opposed the war alike, to bear witness to their
      experiences, we believe that this series will help heal the deep divisions that have endured in America for decades over this enormously controversial and tragic war.”

Dream on Sister.

BTW The advisory panel for the project includes Tim O’Brien, Samuel Hynes, Karl Marlantes, Jack Laurence and Roger Spiller.
      (BTW Spiller is the guy who researched SLA MArshall's and David Grossman's provocative speculations about individual soldiers' use of their weapons/"firing rates" in close combat in US wars.)

The CBS Face the Nation 2015 interview suggests some backpeddling regarding the healing Burns once thought the series might offer.
      http://www.cbsnews.com/videos/ken-bu...e-vietnam-war/

Comment

re
        Co. A, 3rd Battalion, 21st Infantry Regiment (Battalion) (3/21) who served in Vietnam during the summer of 1969

Originally posted by MontanaKid View Post
        Must be about the Que Son-Hiep Duc offensive. I just remembered, I could have the wrong battalion, but I think they were the company that refused to move out one day. The battalion commander took command and led them out. ...
        Perhaps that fits the template for what Burns seeks for his film.

The 3/21 did other things as well.

http://www.historynet.com/us-armys-3...-at-nhi-ha.htm
        Last edited by Jeffy; 26 Feb 16, 22:11.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffy View Post
          re
          Co. A, 3rd Battalion, 21st Infantry Regiment (Battalion) (3/21) who served in Vietnam during the summer of 1969

I'll have to look back. It seems to me the reluctant comp[any was from 4/31. We sent two companies, Delta and Bravo 1/46 up to the Hiep Duc.
          We also sent first Platoon of my company, Charlie. They occupied LZ Siberia. My company minus that platoon stayed in the LZ Professional AO. We were joined by some CIDG and patrolled the southern edge of our AO ourselves, with Alpha Company occupying LZ Professional and patrolling the "home valley" from there.
          No one has greater love than this, to lay down one's life for one's friends John 15:13

Comment

I'll have to look back. It seems to me the reluctant comp[any was from 4/31. We sent two companies, Delta and Bravo 1/46 up to the Hiep Duc.
            We also sent first Platoon of my company, Charlie. They occupied LZ Siberia. My company minus that platoon stayed in the LZ Professional AO. We were joined by some CIDG and patrolled the southern edge of our AO ourselves, with Alpha Company occupying LZ Professional and patrolling the "home valley" from there.
            Well, check that. It was Alpha 3/21. I confused the battalions because it was 4/31 that got cut up the worst in that offensive. While AP reported a refusal, other journalists investigating after the fact quote Alpha members saying there was no direct refusal. The company commander could not overcome a drop in morale. So the battalion commander came out along with the sergeant major. When the SMG lead the way, the men followed. After the Bn Commander spent a couple nights out in the field, morale improved. I think the men lost confidence in the company commander. He was relieved and wound up in charge of the "Charger Hotel," a standdown center of the 196th Brigade on the beach at Chu Lai that offered a 2-3-day respite from combat for Brigade soldiers one company at a time. I spent a few standdowns there.

Comment

He should document the 3/21 in May of 1968 when they helped the Marines defend Dong Ha against parts of two NVA divisions. We provided helicopter support for them, they did as good a job as the Marines.
              "Dost thou not know, my son, with how little wisdom the world is governed?" -Count Oxenstierna (ca 1620) to the young King Gustavus Adolphus

Comment

Is this a great announcement for you ,boys ?
                I mean ,Burns movies are masterpieces ?
                That rug really tied the room together

Comment

Originally posted by sebfrench76 View Post
                  Is this a great announcement for you ,boys ?
                  I mean ,Burns movies are masterpieces ?
                  I personally suspect this will be his most controversial film and or weakest.

Even after all these years, I think it would be very difficult to have a comprehensive documentary that wouldn't outrage one constituency or the other. If not, it will probably be criticized as bland.

Comment

Given all the scholarly water under the bridge, there's one optimal way to do a Vietnam series today: Be up front informative, honest and explicitly candid throught the series about the several various competing interpretive perspectives of the history among competent scholars in the field. NEVAH HOOPEN, GI. This is not Burns' way.

My guess is that if you liked the way Burns did "The Civil War," though, you probably won't foam at the mouth too badly over the way he does "Vietnam." He'll just bombard viewers with effective excrutiating detail re various select aspects, within a sort of reasonably factual timeline narrative summary.

Having said that, his praise for Christian Appy is a very scary and sickening proposition. But Look at the bright side. Maybe he's only praising Appy's noting the centrality of VN War in American culture, and Appy's so-called/apparent attempt at completeness in selection of varieties of oral history contributors. (And most happily, Nick Turse is not listed among his advisory panel, so far.) If you take a look at Appy's last "work," and you value objectivity, you'll shudder at the thought of Burns' emulating Appy.

I'll give odds that the concluding/summary impression of the series, if any, for any rational viewer, will be, at minimum, that US military intervention always is and always will be ill-advised, unjustifiable, wasteful, immoral and wrong. I'd stake a great deal on that bet.

In short, I fear that Burns has adopted Appy's agenda, and that he will advance it ever so craftily, adroitly, and seemingly innocently. The controversy will mirror the war over the 50th State Dept commemoration, and Burns will th'ow down on the VFP side.

JM$.02

Comment

Given all the scholarly water under the bridge, there's one optimal way to do a Vietnam series today: Be up front informative, honest and explicitly candid throught the series about the several various competing interpretive perspectives of the history among competent scholars in the field. NEVAH HOOPEN, GI. This is not Burns' way.

My guess is that if you liked the way Burns did "The Civil War," though, you probably won't foam at the mouth too badly over the way he does "Vietnam." He'll just bombard viewers with effective excrutiating detail re various select aspects, within a sort of reasonably factual timeline narrative summary.

Having said that, his praise for Christian Appy is a very scary and sickening proposition. But Look at the bright side. Maybe he's only praising Appy's noting the centrality of VN War in American culture, and Appy's so-called/apparent attempt at completeness in selection of varieties of oral history contributors. (And most happily, Nick Turse is not listed among his advisory panel, so far.) If you take a look at Appy's last "work," and you value objectivity, you'll shudder at the thought of Burns' emulating Appy.

I'll give odds that the concluding/summary impression of the series, if any, for any rational viewer, will be, at minimum, that US military intervention always is and always will be ill-advised, unjustifiable, wasteful, immoral and wrong. I'd stake a great deal on that bet.

In short, I fear that Burns has adopted Appy's agenda, and that he will advance it ever so craftily, adroitly, and seemingly innocently. The controversy will mirror the war over the 50th State Dept commemoration, and Burns will th'ow down on the VFP side.

JM$.02
                      I would not doubt it. As time goes on and the veteran population of that war slowly dies off.........the historians will be free to put their own twist on history. that history has slowly over the years turned our efforts in vietnam
                      into a total waste of our fellow veterans lives, and the consensus that we were all dupes to have fought there.

Comment

This is really exciting news! I love Ken Burns documentaries, particularly what he did with FDR and the American Civil War. I'm pleased to see him addressing Vietnam.

Comment

re

I hope there is a fair portrayal of the Americal. It seems we often get tagged as "bad" because of the stories on My Lai, Que Son and Mary Ann. All isolated incidents that did not represent division policy or other units in the division. The initial reporting on Que Son and Mary Ann were far off.

Comment

I hope there is a fair portrayal of the Americal. It seems we often get tagged as "bad" because of the stories on My Lai, Que Son and Mary Ann. All isolated incidents that did not represent division policy or other units in the division. The initial reporting on Que Son and Mary Ann were far off.
                            There's a culture war going on. I've noted that Burns loves Appy, and Appy loves Turse. It will depend on the agenda. Don't lose hope, but some believe that all's fair in war. Some people like Turse have zero interest in even trying to look fair, much less being fair. Others like Appy have no interest in being fair, but go to some length to try to look fair, to create a facade of fairness. TV/film, especially in 18+ hour-long series, is a prime medium for creating impressions without taking responsibility--being unfair without looking unfair. We're about to find out who and what Ken Burns really is. Based on his politics and his cultural bedfellows, I wouldn't even bet even money on his being fair. I'd love to be wrong. I'd bet the ranch on his doing an expert job of trying to look fair.

Comment

There's a culture war going on. I've noted that Burns loves Appy, and Appy loves Turse. It will depend on the agenda. Don't lose hope, but some believe that all's fair in war. Some people like Turse have zero interest in even trying to look fair, much less being fair. Others like Appy have no interest in being fair, but go to some length to try to look fair, to create a facade of fairness. TV/film, especially in 18+ hour-long series, is a prime medium for creating impressions without taking responsibility--being unfair without looking unfair. We're about to find out who and what Ken Burns really is. Based on his politics and his cultural bedfellows, I wouldn't even bet even money on his being fair. I'd love to be wrong. I'd bet the ranch on his doing an expert job of trying to look fair.
                              Could you be more clear please ?
                              That rug really tied the room together

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X