Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jeffdoorgunnr
    replied
    must be doing something right. you made it to 73...................keep it up.

Leave a comment:

• hankwill
    replied
    At 73 ,I still get them.Ya I know “Suck it Up”.
    Last edited by hankwill; 14 Jul 20, 00:41.

Leave a comment:

• hankwill
    replied
    A VA psychologist once told me"if it walks like a duck,sounds like a duck,looks like a duck,then it's a duck.So I got rid of the quack.I stopped treatment for ptsd when a non VA psychologist I had been going to for over a year told me that he had been a army psychlogist in Vietnam.I felt that he had intentionally kept this from me.He also said that my parent's divorce could have been a"factor"in my case.He said that I was a"caveman"frozen in a block of melting ice.He also wanted to hypnotize me.When two of my co-workers found out that our company insurance covered such treatments,they signed up.I talked to both of them about Vietnam long before this.One had told me that he had never left basecamp and had not ever fired a shot,not once(his words)The other one was a A.F.wing wipe,mechanic,stationed in Thailand .I can only wonder what their flashbacks were like.I could not make this crap up if I tried. ps.the guy that never fired his weapon told me afew months back that he was 100% disabled ptsd by the VA now
    Last edited by hankwill; 17 Oct 11, 22:23.

Leave a comment:

• MontanaKid
    replied
    Originally posted by sgnsteve View Post
    The VA Drs. call my incidences 'Panic attacks'. Same same, just sounds better.
    Flashbacks happen in a number of ways. It was the movies and TV that gave the public the impression that flashbacks were all psychotic-like hallucinations of combat.

Leave a comment:

• sgnsteve
    replied
    The VA Drs. call my incidences 'Panic attacks'. Same same, just sounds better.

Leave a comment:

• PhilipLaos
    replied
    You have my deepest sympathy and I can quite believe the phenomenon, especially regarding smells that bring back the negative emotion.

I had a bad kitchen fire (nobody was hurt) 35 years ago, and to this day, if I smell the slightest burning (happens a lot around here due to burning off rice stubble in the paddy fields) I get a really bad feeling that is hard to shake off.

Philip

Leave a comment:

• imold
    replied
    When the term "flashbacks" showed up in the media, I thought, what a load of crap. Then, after being a civilian for a few years, something, forget what, triggered a rush of adrenalin and I felt unreasonably disturbed, with an unpleasant feeling that felt familiar to something that happened in Vietnam, but couldn't remember exactly what. Since then, only a few times thank God, a sound, or more often, a smell, would give me a sense of what I could only describe as Vietnam deju vu. I guess I'm fortunate, has never been powerful enough to lose track of reality, just feeling disturbed about something I couldn't quite identify. Has always passed in a minuter or two. My brother has a far worse problem from the first Iraq war. He woke up one night last summer, grabbed his pistol (I've never felt insecure enough to sleep with a weapon) and sat with it till the sun came up. I sleep somewhere else when I visit him... I had occasional, sometimes years apart, bad nightmares about the war (are there any of us that didn't?), that hit the grand finale the night we bombed Baghdad for the first time. Worst nightmares ever for about a week, and then I've never had one since (war related anyway). This is just for you guys, I don't tell anyone I know except my brother, the lady I sleep with, and a vet friend that has no doubts flashbacks are real; a lot of people don't believe this can happen, and it's just easier to avoid the subject. But I've experienced just enough to believe flashbacks can be real.

Leave a comment:

• hankwill
    started a topic Already seen

Already seen

The Veterans Administration calls them flashbacks, from my own experience a better name would be"embedded deja vu"since some of them last for hours.They can be as mild as the sound of a helicopter or as overwhelming as the desire to kill and survive.The physical body overrides your consciousness and you attempt to counter the threat unexpectedly doing what saved your ass last time you faced this perceived situation.Your self-control is gone,adrenalin rules.My first night back from Nam in my own bed,asleep, I found out that the slamming of a car door made the same sound as the propellant charge of an incomming mortar round.In Vietnam that short sound was a blessed warning.My first week back home I spent sleepless nights on the floor of my bedroom because of it...A fishing trip up north with my two brothers.I'm at a rest stop on the highway it's early morning and I thougt that I was alone as I reached for a soft drink from a vending machine.Out of nowhere two Vietnamese start to talk to one another.They are behind me and I know that I am a deadman without a weapon.I couldnot move my body,I was paralysed from fear.I was shaking as my brother led me back to the car.My brothers have never said anything about that morning and I appreciate that...I'm in my car going,I forgot.It's rainning and crossing in front of my car is a mailman.The guys wearing a pit helmet that the rain has turned from postal gray to olive green nva.He also happends to be somekind of oriental.He's positioning himself for a shot at me,but I can kill him with my car before that happends.Nothing takes place,this time...When I was in the Ill.Nat.Guard during our two week activation in the field, men that I've known for years suddenly became unknown FNG's to me.My Lt.sent me to the aid station,the women working there were Vietnamese in my mind.They took my pocket knife and asked for my M16.I knew that if I wanted to live I had to get out of there. They though that I was kidding when I told them I was leaving with my rifle and they didnot try to stop me.I somehow pickup a carton of c-rations along the way and barricaded myself in the back of a supply building til morning,listen to the oldies but goodies.Next morning the Battalion Commander comes to the window and asked me if I'd like to go to the snack bar and get a burger with him,which I did.The Guard never said anything to me about this incident but I was soon honourably discharged...This post is too long so I'll end it for now.
    Last edited by hankwill; 09 Oct 11, 07:05.

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
X