Cavalry Outpost Duties...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cavalry Outpost Duties...

This book is proving to be a fascinating read, and I'm only on chapter two! Thanks a lot, Marshal M, for recommending it.
    The book is written in a conversational question and answer style, as though deBrack is talking to a sprog Occifer who's only done garrison duty, his advice is laced with anecdotes from his service during the 1st. Empire.... I'm really starting to take to this deBrack fellow!

The long toll of the brave
    Is not lost in darkness
    Over the fruitful earth
    And athwart the seas
    Hath passed the light of noble deeds
    Unquenchable forever.

'Mademoiselle de Brack'

De Brack's nickname given him by his troops and colleagues was 'mademoiselle' because he looked so young. He was, however, tougher than woodpecker lips. I have a portrait of him when he was a regimental commander after 1830 around the time he wrote his memoir. He still looks young, but tougher. I do believe that he is mentioned in Parquin's memoirs and that Parquin knew him.

De Brack is also the one who described the rear gaurd action of the Guard cavalry at Waterloo.

Sincerely,
    M
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts
    Made weak by time and fate but strong in will
    To strive to seek to find and not to yield.

Comment

M, is there anywhere on t'internet where I might see this photograph, I'd love to see what he looked like? Your deBrack has got me unable to put his book down... I've got to admit to not having ever read anything quite like it!
      Last night he taught me how to skirmish through a wood, without horse and rider, falling in a swamp... just by looking at different types of trees!

Is not lost in darkness
      Over the fruitful earth
      And athwart the seas
      Unquenchable forever.

Comment

Originally posted by Massena View Post
        De Brack's nickname given him by his troops and colleagues was 'mademoiselle' because he looked so young. He was, however, tougher than woodpecker lips. I have a portrait of him when he was a regimental commander after 1830 around the time he wrote his memoir. He still looks young, but tougher. I do believe that he is mentioned in Parquin's memoirs and that Parquin knew him.

De Brack is also the one who described the rear gaurd action of the Guard cavalry at Waterloo.

Sincerely,
        M
        My avatar: Center of the Cross of the Légion d'honneur (Legion of Honour) of the First French Empire (Napoleonic Era), 3rd type (awarded between 1806-1808). My Légion d'honneur. :-)

Comment

So, basically, this deBrack I'm raving about was a froggy poofter?
          Is not lost in darkness
          Over the fruitful earth
          And athwart the seas
          Unquenchable forever.

Comment

I thought de Brack was Polish or German or something like that but
            not French. Fought for them though so we don't have that
            misunderstanding.

Comment

'Miss de Brack'

VR,

No, he just looked young. He wasn't effeminate and was a sound combat leader and commander and was tough enough that the toughest of his troopers and NCOs would follow him.

Sincerely,
              K
              Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts

Comment

Germans and French

James,

The Frenchmen that came from Alsace and Lorraine spoke German and many undoubtedly had German surnames. The Kellermanns were German speakers; Rapp was an Alsatian. There are more that can be named if I remember to look them up.

Sincerely,
                M

Comment

VR,

No, he just looked young. He wasn't effeminate and was a sound combat leader and commander and was tough enough that the toughest of his troopers and NCOs would follow him.

Sincerely,
                  K
                  He comes across as tough as old boots in the book, any chance you could post that picture of him? I'm off on a stag weekend tomorrow and the book's in my rucksack to read on the way...
                  that's how much I'm enjoying it!!!

Is not lost in darkness
                  Over the fruitful earth
                  And athwart the seas
                  Unquenchable forever.

Comment

De Brack's Picture

VR,

I'll see if I can find it and then you can talk me through posting it here. The picture is in my collection somewhere...

Sincerely,
                    M

Comment

Steady on old bean, me talk you through it... I'm the Forum idiot, remember!?
                      I'm sure Zouave or Stratego will know how to do it, hope you can find the piccy.

Is not lost in darkness
                      Over the fruitful earth
                      And athwart the seas
                      Unquenchable forever.

Comment

James,

The Frenchmen that came from Alsace and Lorraine spoke German and many undoubtedly had German surnames. The Kellermanns were German speakers; Rapp was an Alsatian. There are more that can be named if I remember to look them up.

Sincerely,
                        M
                        Oh! 'But Kevin' I don't need to look it up, guess where my moms ancestry hail
                        from, you got it Alsace Lorraine, we are "NAPOLEONIC." Guess that means my
                        secrets out.

Comment

Originally posted by Von Richter View Post
                          Steady on old bean, me talk you through it... I'm the Forum idiot, remember!?
                          I'm sure Zouave or Stratego will know how to do it, hope you can find the piccy.

Massena,

Send me a PM when and if you find it.
                          My avatar: Center of the Cross of the Légion d'honneur (Legion of Honour) of the First French Empire (Napoleonic Era), 3rd type (awarded between 1806-1808). My Légion d'honneur. :-)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                          X