Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there a connection between the GM of Knights of Malta and Hompesch's Chasseurs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there a connection between the GM of Knights of Malta and Hompesch's Chasseurs

The Grand Master of the order of Malta, a German aristocrat called Hompesch had to flee the island afte Napoleon captured Malta without firing a shot. Already a few years before that, I think in 1796 Hompesch's Chasseurs were formed (part of it formed 5/60th Royal Americans later on). An emigre regiment in English service. As far as I know there also existed Hompesch's Mounted Rifles and in Hannover Hompesch's Chasseurs.
    Is there a connection between these units and the Grand Master or is it pure coincidence?

Hmm, never heard about such connection. Probably just similar titles.

Comment

Originally posted by Ulrih View Post
      Hmm, never heard about such connection. Probably just similar titles.
      Maybe. But I know that Hompesch's Rifles, or Chasseurs were mostly of German decent. Since The Grand Master Hompesch was also a German and an aristocrat (meaning, that there can't be many other families with the same name), I though there might be a connection. Possibly a brother or distant cousin or maybe a different branch of the family.

Comment

The rifles or chasseur commander was Baron Charles Hompesch, who formed several units which were to bear his name, whereas the grand master was Ferdinand von Hompesch zu Bolheim, do not know if they were related.
        Last edited by Post Captain; 15 Apr 10, 11:54.
        Never Fear the Event

Admiral Lord Nelson

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
        X