X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seeking information on this Napoleonic Era Helmet

Hi,

I'm seeking any information I can get on this style of helmet:

I recall seeing it used by British Horse Artillery, some French Infantry, and possibly Spanish Dragoons - but my memory may be faulty.

What is it called? What nations and units used it? What is is made of?
    Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

There are similar styles that have a 1/2 plume, and another that is very tall. I'm really looking for info on this one. THANKS in advance.
    IN.HOC.SIGNO.VINCUS
    http://mattyd.com

I'm sorry, but that one made me think of a patrol cap with a big bush.
    If it existed in the French army, it's possibly called "Kepi" something, due to the shape of it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Furthermore, I think Carthage must be destroyed.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Mattyd,

I'm not totally sure (the colours are different), but it looks like a Tarleton helmet of the British horse artillery.

Perhaps the most eye-catching element of the uniform was its crested helmet. The leather cap gave some protection against a saber blow without adding excess weight. The rolled bearskin provided additional cushioning from a blow.
      My avatar: Center of the Cross of the Légion d'honneur (Legion of Honour) of the First French Empire (Napoleonic Era), 3rd type (awarded between 1806-1808). My Légion d'honneur. :-)

Comment

I think I found it!

(from http://www.mersey.ca/tarleton.html )

"The Tarleton helmet is named after Banastre Tarleton, who raised a legion in the American War of Independence. Hand manufactured by hatters and saddle makers, skull and peak made of boiled leather and thus combining a resistance to sword-cuts with some degree of lightness. After the American War, the helmet became popular among the regular regiments of Light Dragoons and was worn by them up until 1812, when the Shako replaced it."

So - now to who used it...

Tarleton's Legion

(loyalists who fought in the War of the American Revolution who formed the British Legion)

Fusilier, France

French Lieutenant Infantry Uniform, 1791

Leicestershire Light Horse

(Officers Light Dragoon (Tarleton) helmet c1820)

5th/60th Royal American Rifles

(60th officer's uniform of the 1797 - 1800 period. Indications are that the idea of a green uniform was a carryover from Hompesch's Mounted Riflemen, who were dressed in green with red facings)

British Horse Artillery (Unit?)

(Thanks Zouave!)

4th Continental Lt Dragoons

1779-1781
        (Thanks RepublicanGuard!)
        Last edited by Mattyd; 11 Apr 10, 10:33.
        IN.HOC.SIGNO.VINCUS

Comment

Came across some interesting info while looking this up.

I noticed it looked similar to what was warn by American dragoons

And sure enough
          Originally posted by wiki
          The 4th Continental Light Dragoons also known as Moylan's Horse was raised on January 5, 1777 at Philadelphia, Pennsylvania for service with the Continental Army under Colonel Stephen Moylan. The regiment entered the history books by taking the field in captured British scarlet coats as noted in a letter from General George Washington to Colonel Moylan dated May 12, 1777, in which Moylan was directed to have his uniforms dyed to avoid confusion with British dragoons. The regiment changed to green coats faced in red during the summer of 1778, with black leather helmets in the style associated with Banastre Tarleton.
          A very informative thread, thanks

Comment

Arent our members just superbly knowlegable????

The way you all are able to help people with specific questions of the Napoleonic Period makes me darn proud

You guys are simply great...

Way to go Napoleoniacs !!!!
            Death is nothing, but to live defeated and inglorious is to die daily.- Napoleon

It is better to fail in originality than to succeed in imitation.- Herman Melville

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

BORG

Comment

I think the French version is colloquially known as a 'Demi Brigade Helmet'. French Chasseurs a Cheval wore it during the Revolutionary period too.

Comment

The British Light Dragoons wore the Tarleton until the uniforms reforms of 1812. The 7th, 10th, 15th and 18th Light Dragoons who were converted into hussars in 1807 became the typical Hussar beakskins and later Tschakos. The Hussars had no other distinction from the dragoons apart from more flashy uniforms and the name Hussars, which was only given in brackets. Officially they were still called the Light Dragoons. Anyway, at the Cavalry encounter of Sahagun, and not much later Benavente during the early peninsular war, many officers noted, how superior in protection the Tarleton helmet was in comparisson to the Hussar busby, which looked very decorative but had no practical use apart from keeping your head warm, which might have been worth something during the cold retreat to Corunna.

Comment

Originally posted by the Iron Duke View Post
                  became the typical Hussar beakskins and later Tschakos. .
                  The fur Headdress was called the Busby, Not 'bearskin' as that belongs to Grenadiers/elite units, bandsmen, and elite heavy cavalry units.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Busby

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bearskin

Paul
                  ‘Tis said his form is tiny, yet
                  All human ills he can subdue,
                  Or with a bauble or medal
                  Can win mans heart for you;
                  And many a blessing know to stew
                  To make a megloamaniac bright;
                  Give honour to the dainty Corse,
                  The Pixie is a little shite.

Comment

I do apologise Dibble, I know the differneces. Since my English is not perfect I think we can agree that we mean the same.

Comment

Originally posted by the Iron Duke View Post
                      I do apologise Dibble, I know the differneces. Since my English is not perfect I think we can agree that we mean the same.
                      No worries mate, the post was really aimed at those not as conversed in matters of uniforms.

Paul
                      ‘Tis said his form is tiny, yet
                      All human ills he can subdue,
                      Or with a bauble or medal
                      Can win mans heart for you;
                      And many a blessing know to stew
                      To make a megloamaniac bright;
                      Give honour to the dainty Corse,
                      The Pixie is a little shite.

Comment

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Officers-Tarle...-/280376592619

Officers Tarleton Helmet XII Light Dragoons c1790 for sale on ebay!

Wow, what are the odds!?
                        IN.HOC.SIGNO.VINCUS

Comment

Canadian Light Dragoons 1812

Comment

Another French Infantry?
                            IN.HOC.SIGNO.VINCUS

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse