Moreau becomes the main man!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moreau becomes the main man!

Most of us know that between the fall of Robespierre and the 2nd Coalition two succesful French generals were "struggling" (I have my doubts about the term struggle) to become the main man in France !

On the one side: Napoleon Bonaparte

On the other side: Jean Moreau

Now, us Napoleoniacs know that Napoleon received the first prize after 18 Brumaire, becoming Consul and then, in 1802, becoming "Consul for life".
    Jean Moreau on the other side, was considered a Royalist and banished to the US in 1804.

But what if the roles had turned around? What if Napoleon Bonaparte had been banished and Moreau had gained the upper hand? How different would France have been under leadership of Moreau as Consul????

And another question: I'm of the opinion that Moreau was not as dangerous as many historybooks and historians suggest. I believe he was no Royalist, although he, and especially his wife had many Royalist acquintaces (which gave rise to the rumour of a "Club Moreau" and gave Moreau a bad reputation).
    I'm of the belief that it was Napoleon that saw Moreau more of a threat to HIM -not to France. Napoleon was much more ambitious then Moreau !

Can you all agree with my opinion that Moreau was in fact NOT as dangerous as many Bonapartists past and present considered him to be?

Greets,
    Stratego
    Death is nothing, but to live defeated and inglorious is to die daily.- Napoleon

It is better to fail in originality than to succeed in imitation.- Herman Melville

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

BORG

Wasn't Lazare Hoche considered the prime candidate untill his untimely death on the Rhine frontier?
    Lambert of Montaigu - Crusader.

Bolgios - Mercenary Game.

Comment

Hmm, Moreau was of course popular but popular were also other generals. Why do you think that he would become consul etc?

Comment

Originally posted by Ulrih View Post
        Hmm, Moreau was of course popular but popular were also other generals. Why do you think that he would become consul etc?
        I'm not even convinced that Moreau would accept the position of consul.
        It's just a Napoleonic alternate timeline...what IF Moreau HAD become a consul and Napoleon had been banished?

Greets,
        Stratego
        Death is nothing, but to live defeated and inglorious is to die daily.- Napoleon

It is better to fail in originality than to succeed in imitation.- Herman Melville

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

BORG

Comment

When Napoleon won (just about) the battle of Marengo, Moreau triumphed over the coalition forces at Hohenlinden. Apparently Napoleon was annoyed about it. I'm not sure if Moreau would have become dangerous, but Napoleon probably saw him more as a threat than he really was.

Comment

The ironic end of the conflict between these two French Generals occured at the Battle of Dresden in 1814. Napoleon when passing a artillery battery saw a party of Russian staff officers on a hill, he ordered the commander to fire a shot and rode away before it was fired. So he did not know until much latter that this chance shell had killed Moreau, who advising the Russians and came near to hitting the Czar.
            War is less costly than servitude

Comment

Originally posted by Stratego View Post
              I'm not even convinced that Moreau would accept the position of consul.
              It's just a Napoleonic alternate timeline...what IF Moreau HAD become a consul and Napoleon had been banished?

Greets,
              Stratego
              Moreau was a victim of that ancient incurable malady known as "Dictator's Fear".

I've often wondered what would've happened if Napoleon had lost at Marengo and Moreau had gone on to win at Hohenlinden. The possiblities boggle the mind!!

All in all,I have to agree with my ol' pal Stratego that there is nothing in Moreau background to suggest he was a Royalist and that he was not a threat to Napoleon.

I've always thought that Bernadotte was more of a threat to Napoleon.
              If the art of war were nothing but the art of avoiding risks,glory would become the prey of mediocre minds. Napoleon

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
              X