Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Napoleonic movie on the horizon!

It will premiere in 2010: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VO38FhUBNWk
    The battle of El Bruc was an engagement fought between a French column, under General Schwartz, and a body of Spanish volunteers and mercenaries on June 4, 1808.

Let's hope for a good movie.
    My avatar: Center of the Cross of the Légion d'honneur (Legion of Honour) of the First French Empire (Napoleonic Era), 3rd type (awarded between 1806-1808). My Légion d'honneur. :-)

Trailer doesn't tell you much, does it?

Comment

Except they're using ground charges again. Sorry to be picky.

Comment

I know they said it was a defeat brought around by 1 man, but hell I only saw 1 man and some small nuclear explosions.

Not looking hopeful if thats the appetizer.
        An 18th century Imagi nation blog set in England/

Comment

Originally posted by SeaDog48 View Post
          Trailer doesn't tell you much, does it?
          No, the trailer doesn't tell much, but personally I liked it...very artistic!

Greets,
          Stratego
          Death is nothing, but to live defeated and inglorious is to die daily.- Napoleon

It is better to fail in originality than to succeed in imitation.- Herman Melville

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

BORG

Comment

The problem with being a history buff is that we go through these things with a fine-toothed comb. The Duellists is still faultless and if you've ever watched Ridley Scott's narration on extras on the DVD, you'll see why. At one point the other guy on the narration asks Scott;

"Were you slavishly authentic to the period?"

[Long pause]

"Yes".

I don't understand why a director doesn't make the most of actual Napoleonic artillery fire. Balls mowing down whole files of men (with almost exactly the same wounds) and the horror of grape in close quarters could be so dramatic, complete with sound effects. There's Mercer's story from Waterloo of a long-serving officer who had never been in combat, experiencing the buzz and whistle of musket and artillery shot for the first time; "There it is again Mercer! What is that infernal buzzing?" The weird stuff we all read about - recruits trying to stop rolling cannonballs like footballs and having their legs taken off should be gold dust to movie makers. What WAS it really like to experience this from the centre of a column? Saving Private Ryan whilst trying to keep close order might come close. Mercer's account of the Grenadiers a Cheval coming on at a walk again and again over the walls of their own dead. It has never been attempted really in a film.
            'Glory' is the only movie I've seen that has half-way tried it. Ground charges just ruin the whole thing every time. There were no shells that exploded on impact at the time.
            Last edited by Compans; 04 Apr 10, 21:13.

Comment

Compans, I nominate you to write the script! I share your sentiments precisely, from damage accuracy to better representation of the true sound of gunfire.

I guarantee a decent film would lose no audience for realistic combat, and it's not like it's ridiculously expensive. I am still baffled why apparently not even one film-maker (I would expect someone like Scott to) has attempted this effectively.

Comment

Seeing 'Glory' at the cinema (something more real about seeing this stuff on the big screen) was quite impressive, especially that scene where they beat back a cavalry charge, celebrate their victory and then this menacing, impassive line of Rebs emerge through the smoke. The Duellists was fantastic but, as Scott says, was very low budget and there are no true battle scenes. His eye for the period (all locations and the wonderful buildings were scouted out religiously) could really be brought to bear on a larger project. I've said it before, but I'd like to see all actors and extras put through a similar regime to those on SPR and Band of Brothers. Put the bastards in the field for a month on route marches and sleeping in the open. It's the only way to stop uniforms looking like 'costumes'. Napoleonic warfare was not a fancy dress party.

Mr Scott...I nominate RF Delderfield's 'Seven Men of Gascony' as the movie. Folks, if you've not read this classic novel of 7 French light infantrymen...do yourselves a favour. A beautiful tale.
                Last edited by Compans; 06 Apr 10, 23:07.

Comment

Anybody seen it yet?
                  Death is nothing, but to live defeated and inglorious is to die daily.- Napoleon

It is better to fail in originality than to succeed in imitation.- Herman Melville

BORG

Comment

For a description of the movie and some reviews.

It's a little overexaggerated though...how can a drummerboy destroy an entire army?

http://www.ikirufilms.com/eng/films/bruc.php

Greets,
                    Stratego

BORG

Comment

Just the same as a drummer boy can become a Marshal or General of France.

Comment

The film première in December in Spain and I of course seeing the trailers have not seen it, by that seeing the different trailers does not give any win to see it.

A link to a brief review on the real battle, in English is shorter so I recommend you press to see the same article in Spanish

Batalla del Bruch

Comment

The french did use a drummer boy as a dummy during Arcole battle. Napoleon gave him the Légion d' Honneur

http://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/cgi...--10--1----0--

[/I]http://www.petit-patrimoine.com/fich...?id_pp=84026_1
                          "To hell wars Grudges and parties ! As our fathers Sing in real friends, The clink of glasses Roses and lilies. The clink of glasses Roses and lilies."

Comment

If we joint them to the two can form a band of heavy-metal

Comment

Originally posted by Stratego View Post

Anybody seen it yet?
                              Don't speak Spanish but the visuals were outstanding. I wonder if it will ever be available with Engliah subtitles?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X