Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Von Richter
    replied
    'The Note-Books of Captain Coignet' is an English version by Greenhill Books, you'll find it a fascinating read. Sergeant Bourgogne's memoir is one I haven't read in over thirty years... realy looking forward to remaking his acquaintance.

Last edited by Von Richter; 06 Mar 10, 18:49.

Leave a comment:

• Alatriste
    replied
    Did you read the French or English translation? I have found a used copy on the web for order. Thanks for the recommendation. The reviews on the web give it a

Leave a comment:

• Capt AFB
    replied
    Originally posted by Von Richter View Post
    Just finished this book and it's a very good read, Coignet was present at almost all the epic moments of the First Empire. Now I'm about to invade Russia in the ranks of the Old Guard, marching with a bloke called Sergeant Bourgogne... I'm suspicioned I'll need to be well wrapped up for this one!
    I remember watching a French-produced made-for-television series in the early 70s based on Les Cahiers du Capitaine Coignet. It was broadcasted on Radio-Canada (the "French-Canadian Broadcasting Corporation") It was probably what got me hooked on Napoleon (That and a couple of books on Napoleon my parents bought me for Christmas.)

Extracts of the show (some with English subtitles) can be found on U Tube (just google "Capitaine Coignet" and "television")

As for Sergent Bourgogne, I just completed his memoirs describing his adventures during the French army retreat from Russia. Bring extra food and a bearskin wrap.

Leave a comment:

• General Brock
    replied
    With Napoleon in Russia - By General Armand de Caulaincourt now
    there is a good read not to mention Thunder on the Danube - By
    Jack Gill Vol. 1,2 and 3 should be out soon if you are interested.

Leave a comment:

• Dibble201Bty
    replied
    Originally posted by Von Richter View Post
    Just finished this book and it's a very good read, Coignet was present at almost all the epic moments of the First Empire. Now I'm about to invade Russia in the ranks of the Old Guard, marching with a bloke called Sergeant Bourgogne... I'm suspicioned I'll need to be well wrapped up for this one!

Sergeant Bourgogne IMO The best of the Nappy war reminiscences.

Paul

Leave a comment:

• Von Richter
    started a topic The Note-Books of Captain Coignet....

The Note-Books of Captain Coignet....

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
X