Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Napoleon's Logisticians

Gentlemen,

I am looking for more information on some of the logistical challenges Napoleon and his Commanders faced during their campaigns. With what knowledge I have of the era, I would think the Russian Campaign would be the best place to start, but my resources mainly cover the strategic and tactical level, only very briefly touching on what it took to get the Army fed, patched up, and ressupplied with ammunition, powder, and repair parts.

Our battalion commander wants to do a PME on Napoleon and is asking for talking points about what made the French unique in this time period with regards to their supply and logistics.

Can anyone point me in the direction of any online resources with some information I could glean? It doesn't have to be too down in the weeds. Wavetop information will suffice if that is what is available.

Thanks for the assistance

Ben
    Last edited by Leftie; 02 Mar 10, 07:06.
    "The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts."— Bertrand Russell

Marines studying Napoleon?! No way!!
    If the art of war were nothing but the art of avoiding risks,glory would become the prey of mediocre minds. Napoleon

Comment

Originally posted by Legate View Post
      Marines studying Napoleon?! No way!!
      HAH!

There is more involved with being a Marine than grunting and shooting things you know.

Ben
      "The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts."— Bertrand Russell

Comment

Originally posted by Leftie View Post
        HAH!

There is more involved with being a Marine than grunting and shooting things you know.

Ben
        Very true. Although I am from a from a family that has a long history of Army service I've always been impressed with the professionalism of the USMC. In many ways they've been ahead of the curve while the ARMY often rest on its laurels.
        If the art of war were nothing but the art of avoiding risks,glory would become the prey of mediocre minds. Napoleon

Comment

The 18th of march 1807 Napoleon created an unit called "Trains des Equipages Militaires" in charge of Grande Armée logistic. it was composed of 8 batallions of 4 companies each.
          In 1808 4 more batallions were added.
          In 1812 when Napoleon invaded Russia, the Grande Armée had 22 batallions of Trains des Equipages Militaires.
          à vaincre sans péril, on triomphe sans gloire (triumph without peril brings no glory) P. Corneille

Le probleme avec les cons, c'est qu'il ne se fatiguent jamais
          (The problem with Pr.cks, is that they never get tired ) Michel Audiard

Comment

UNIFORMS

à vaincre sans péril, on triomphe sans gloire (triumph without peril brings no glory) P. Corneille

Le probleme avec les cons, c'est qu'il ne se fatiguent jamais
            (The problem with Pr.cks, is that they never get tired ) Michel Audiard

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
            X