Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Interest Poll - Musket era

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Interest Poll - Musket era

    What do you want to see here from the Musket era?

    Vote one or more times.

    JS
    7
    Napoleonic era
    14.29%
    1
    French and Indian War
    14.29%
    1
    War of 1812
    14.29%
    1
    7 Years War
    28.57%
    2
    American Revolution
    28.57%
    2
    Barcsi János ispán vezérőrnagy
    Time Magazine's Person of the Year for 2003 & 2006


    "Never pet a burning dog."

    RECOMMENDED WEBSITES:
    http://www.mormon.org
    http://www.sca.org
    http://www.scv.org/
    http://www.scouting.org/

  • #2
    My absolute favorite period, above all else....whether you can include the American Civil War....well, maybe, but the choices above are more than adequate....am I crazy for wanting to do paintball Napoleonic style with the columns of troops, volleys, the giant flags and such?
    Pvt. Bob Mana,
    Co. B, 3rd Maryland Vol. Infantry, 1st Brigade, 1st Division, 12th Corps, Union Army of the Potomac

    For the Union

    Comment


    • #3
      We've done that before with airsoft... single shot, 20 count, single shot... we even had two marine smoke markers that each side popped after the first volley. Of course when it got down to 2 or 3 on each side, someone yelled 'full auto' and everyone (including the dead) engaged each other at 50ft out in the open
      If voting could really change things, it would be illegal.

      Comment


      • #4
        One of my favorite periods. The transition from smoothbore to rifles. Cavalry was still an important offensive component and you could walk your artillery behind to support the infantry.

        A few specific favorites..... Prussian cavalry under Seydlitz......American riflemen in the French and Indian War......The Southern theater of the American Revolutionary War, especially Kings Mountain......The 95th Rifles in the Peninsula Campaign.......The Battle of the Thames in the War of 1812.

        Just one thing isn't the French and Indian War technically part of the Seven Years War?
        Lance W.

        Peace through superior firepower.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Lance Williams
          One of my favorite periods. The transition from smoothbore to rifles. Cavalry was still an important offensive component and you could walk your artillery behind to support the infantry.

          A few specific favorites..... Prussian cavalry under Seydlitz......American riflemen in the French and Indian War......The Southern theater of the American Revolutionary War, especially Kings Mountain......The 95th Rifles in the Peninsula Campaign.......The Battle of the Thames in the War of 1812.

          Just one thing isn't the French and Indian War technically part of the Seven Years War?
          I like that list as well (too bad von Seydlitz's WW2 descendant was a traitor and dishonored the family name).

          Yep, they were the same war, and they fought in entirely different manners. There was a whole series of wars fought in Europe and America.

          JS
          Barcsi János ispán vezérőrnagy
          Time Magazine's Person of the Year for 2003 & 2006


          "Never pet a burning dog."

          RECOMMENDED WEBSITES:
          http://www.mormon.org
          http://www.sca.org
          http://www.scv.org/
          http://www.scouting.org/

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Janos
            I like that list as well (too bad von Seydlitz's WW2 descendant was a traitor and dishonored the family name).

            Yep, they were the same war, and they fought in entirely different manners. There was a whole series of wars fought in Europe and America.

            JS
            The Seven Years War was truly a world war since India was being contested too.
            Lance W.

            Peace through superior firepower.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Lance Williams
              The Seven Years War was truly a world war since India was being contested too.
              News to me.

              By who? English and Portuguese?

              JS
              Barcsi János ispán vezérőrnagy
              Time Magazine's Person of the Year for 2003 & 2006


              "Never pet a burning dog."

              RECOMMENDED WEBSITES:
              http://www.mormon.org
              http://www.sca.org
              http://www.scv.org/
              http://www.scouting.org/

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Janos
                News to me.

                By who? English and Portuguese?

                JS
                The British and the French (I think).
                Lance W.

                Peace through superior firepower.

                Comment


                • #9
                  The Seven Years' War truly was the first world war. Not only was it fought in Europe and North America, but also the Caribbean, West Africa, India and the Philippines.

                  The North American theater of the Seven Years' War is my favorite period to study, followed closely by the American War of Independence.
                  "The past is a foreign country: they do things differently there."

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by HiredGoon
                    The Seven Years' War truly was the first world war. Not only was it fought in Europe and North America, but also the Caribbean, West Africa, India and the Philippines.

                    The North American theater of the Seven Years' War is my favorite period to study, followed closely by the American War of Independence.
                    Thank you HiredGoon, I'd forgotten all of the areas involved.
                    Lance W.

                    Peace through superior firepower.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I just saw an add for a new PBSseries about the American Revolutionary War called "Rebels & Redcoats" that will air in two 2 hour segments on June 23 and June 30. If its up to PBS's usual standards it will probably be pretty good.....and best of all, no commercials.
                      Lance W.

                      Peace through superior firepower.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        PBS might be doing that give me your money a thon, during the show also.
                        Govenour Of Texas and all southern provinces. Kepper Of The Holy Woodchipper.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I voted for the Am Rev, but I love all of the periods listed above. I also really like the 7YW (of which the F & I War was a part). I confess to being a Fred fan.
                          I come here to discuss a piece of business with you and what are you gonna do? You're gonna tell me fairy tales? James Caan in the movie "Thief" ca 1981

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Tom DeFranco
                            I confess to being a Fred fan.
                            I knew I liked you for a reason

                            I visited Sans Souci a couple of years ago. Beautiful place. If you haven't been to Berlin and Potsdam, it's worth a trip (but horribly expensive).

                            JS
                            Barcsi János ispán vezérőrnagy
                            Time Magazine's Person of the Year for 2003 & 2006


                            "Never pet a burning dog."

                            RECOMMENDED WEBSITES:
                            http://www.mormon.org
                            http://www.sca.org
                            http://www.scv.org/
                            http://www.scouting.org/

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Lance Williams
                              I just saw an add for a new PBSseries about the American Revolutionary War called "Rebels & Redcoats" that will air in two 2 hour segments on June 23 and June 30. If its up to PBS's usual standards it will probably be pretty good.....and best of all, no commercials.
                              The interesting thing about this series is that it will portray the American War of Independence from the loser's perspective. Something we don't usually see.
                              "The past is a foreign country: they do things differently there."

                              Comment

                              Latest Topics

                              Collapse

                              Working...
                              X