Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• See how much it is here usually its free shipping over a certain amount.

http://www.amazon.co.uk

Yes! they have free shipping over a certain amount I just checked..

Regards
    James
    Last edited by General Brock; 20 May 09, 13:35.

Comment

• Originally posted by General Brock View Post
      See how much it is here usually its free shipping over a certain amount.

http://www.amazon.co.uk

Yes! they have free shipping over a certain amount I just checked..

Regards
      James
      There was a copy being sold on eBay a few months back, it was the newer edition and had a Buy It Now of just £19.99. I hesitated and of course when I went back to check it had gone. Trust.

Another book that caught my attention though is this:-

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1...pf_rd_i=468294

Apparently it will feature a substantial collection of numerous Osprey titles, so considering it has 400+ pages and has a price of £18 could be a good investment.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lt-Bromhead View Post
        There was a copy being sold on eBay a few months back, it was the newer edition and had a Buy It Now of just £19.99. I hesitated and of course when I went back to check it had gone. Trust.

Another book that caught my attention though is this:-

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1...pf_rd_i=468294

Apparently it will feature a substantial collection of numerous Osprey titles, so considering it has 400+ pages and has a price of £18 could be a good investment.
        I've ordered a copy From WH.Smiths, It will be posted to me after the release date of 10th June. As soon as I recieve it I will give a 'loose/snap' apraisal of it, with perhapse a more detailed view on it's contents later.

Paul
        ‘Tis said his form is tiny, yet
        All human ills he can subdue,
        Or with a bauble or medal
        Can win mans heart for you;
        And many a blessing know to stew
        To make a megloamaniac bright;
        Give honour to the dainty Corse,
        The Pixie is a little shite.

Comment

• Nice one Paul, will be interested to see what it's like.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dibble201Bty View Post
            I've ordered a copy From WH.Smiths, It will be posted to me after the release date of 10th June. As soon as I recieve it I will give a 'loose/snap' apraisal of it, with perhapse a more detailed view on it's contents later.

Paul

Thanks Paul as I am very interest in knowing what the book is like.

Regards
            James

Comment

• Originally posted by DaveHollinsMBA
              Roberts is a rent-a-gob author, who just lifts the well-known material and writes something populist. That can be okay in itself, but makes it very difficult to get anything based on new research published. He backs Hofi - to the extent he copied his work.
              I had re-read Andrew Roberts, Napoleon & Wellington a month or two ago, and what I found was that Roberts spends 3/4 of the book slagging Nappy off and highlighting his faults, whilst praising the Duke all the way through until 'at Waterloo. Suddenly he becomes 'a la Hofi; a vainglorious, bigoted egotist who started to trail his ‘Me the hero’ cloak over all pro and critical contemporary opinion almost as soon as the last shot reverberated at Mont St. Jean. I fully agree with your critical post, why I recommended the above book, I do not know. Perhaps I was concentrating too much on the Nappy criticisms.

Paul

Comment

• Thunder on the Danube Vol.II - by John Gill
                I just started and he goes right into the action at Neumarkt small
                battle but very descriptive. He is the new age writer on the Nap.
                Wars in IMO.

I highly recommend these books, vol.III will be available Aug. 9

Regards
                James

Comment

• Hi All,

Some very good news. George Nafziger's Imperial Bayonets will go into reprint. If you have an interest in the "nuts and bolts" of Napoleonic Wars, this is a great book. See the link below.

http://www.battlefront.com/index.php...per&Itemid=259
                  Larry Levandowski

Join the Army and see the Navy
                  sandwich board in the Marx Brother's Duck Soup, 1933

Comment

Paul
                    Just to let you know, I'm still waiting...

Paul

Comment

• Originally posted by larizona View Post
                      Hi All,

Some very good news. George Nafziger's Imperial Bayonets will go into reprint. If you have an interest in the "nuts and bolts" of Napoleonic Wars, this is a great book. See the link below.

http://www.battlefront.com/index.php...per&Itemid=259
                      Thanks for the heads up.
                      This book has been on my wish list for years. I could never find one that was cheap enough for my budget.
                      If the art of war were nothing but the art of avoiding risks,glory would become the prey of mediocre minds. Napoleon

Comment

• At last! It arrived today, If any of you have had the other titles in the Osprey compellation book editions (Normans, Romans, Knights etc) then you will know how this book has been put together.

Osprey have done a good job of illustrating this edition with plates that have been used in their famous paperback book series. All arms of service are included, as well as illustrations on Equipment & arms, unit manoeuvres, and campaign maps.

First off is a brief 2 page introduction by Allan Mallinson

The book starts of with an illustrated introduction which includes Lady Butlers Charge of the Scots Greys, a fine plate by Bill Younghusband of Colour Sergeant Wood of the 3rd Battalion 1st Foot Guards, holding aloft the bloodstained jacket of a dead comrade to inspire his men to stand fire against hails of French artillery fire at Waterloo, and a map of Europe 1805.

There is a chronology that starts from 20th April 1789, and ends on the 8th August, 1815.

Then the actual bones of the book. This stars with the Title of each of the Countries described which in turn gives an Overview Infantry, Artillery and Cavalry

Chapters are:

1 France Pages 20-101

2 Britain Pages 102-167

3 Austria Pages 168-213

4 Russia Pages 214-253

5 Prussia Pages 254-293

6 Spain Pages 294-341

7 Portugal Pages 342-377

8 Other Armies Pages 378-425
                        Denmark/Sweden, Hanover, The Low Countries, Italy, Sicily and Sardinia, Poland, Balkans, German Allies, United states.

Total pages in the book are: 432 with Illustrations on almost every page.
                        Size 24cm-18cm

Illustrators include:
                        Bill Younghusband, Mike Chappell, Christa & Richard Hook, Bryan Fosten, Graham Turner, Angus McBride, Patrice Courcelle, Michael Roffe, Ray Hutchins, The late, great, Rick Scollins, Darko Pavlovic

I have only read the first 20 or so pages of the French army and at the moment I will not be able to give a more detailed review.

Paul

Comment

• I don't know if this has ever been debated before so I will raise it here:

Something has irked me about this book, the same happened when I read Ospreys Wellingtons heavy cavalry when it first came out many moons ago. This is the statement that the British cavalry had a total paper Establishment of (I kid ye not) 260,000 sabres, in a total of 40 Regiments, 190,000 in 40 Regiments 'iirc before 1795. Since when has Britain fielded (Even on paper) 4,750 to 6,500 strong cavalry regiments. Is this all about too many zeros in the total establishment figures, or not enough in the total of Regiments (26,000/19,000 Sabres. 400 Regiments)
                          Whatever the answer, it is still a glaring error, and one that should have been corrected.

Paul
                          Last edited by Dibble201Bty; 03 Jul 09, 04:17.

Comment

• 260,000 sounds closer to the manpower of the British Army and Navy combined.

Comment

At last! It arrived today, If any of you have had the other titles in the Osprey compellation book editions (Normans, Romans, Knights etc) then you will know how this book has been put together.

Osprey have done a good job of illustrating this edition with plates that have been used in their famous paperback book series. All arms of service are included, as well as illustrations on Equipment & arms, unit manoeuvres, and campaign maps.

First off is a brief 2 page introduction by Allan Mallinson

The book starts of with an illustrated introduction which includes Lady Butlers Charge of the Scots Greys, a fine plate by Bill Younghusband of Colour Sergeant Wood of the 3rd Battalion 1st Foot Guards, holding aloft the bloodstained jacket of a dead comrade to inspire his men to stand fire against hails of French artillery fire at Waterloo, and a map of Europe 1805.

There is a chronology that starts from 20th April 1789, and ends on the 8th August, 1815.

Then the actual bones of the book. This stars with the Title of each of the Countries described which in turn gives an Overview Infantry, Artillery and Cavalry

Chapters are:

1 France Pages 20-101

2 Britain Pages 102-167

3 Austria Pages 168-213

4 Russia Pages 214-253

5 Prussia Pages 254-293

6 Spain Pages 294-341

7 Portugal Pages 342-377

8 Other Armies Pages 378-425
                              Denmark/Sweden, Hanover, The Low Countries, Italy, Sicily and Sardinia, Poland, Balkans, German Allies, United states.

Total pages in the book are: 432 with Illustrations on almost every page.
                              Size 24cm-18cm

Illustrators include:
                              Bill Younghusband, Mike Chappell, Christa & Richard Hook, Bryan Fosten, Graham Turner, Angus McBride, Patrice Courcelle, Michael Roffe, Ray Hutchins, The late, great, Rick Scollins, Darko Pavlovic

I have only read the first 20 or so pages of the French army and at the moment I will not be able to give a more detailed review.

Paul
                              Thanks for the info, Paul.

I'm looking for a good book on the battle of Albuera. I'm having a hard time choosing between these three options:

http://www.amazon.com/ALBUERA-1811-B...6846747&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.com/Albuera-Wellin...6846747&sr=1-2

http://www.amazon.com/BATTLE-ALBUERA...6846747&sr=1-3

The first one has received very high praise.
                              http://www.napoleon-series.org/revie...buera1811.html

Albuera 1811 - The eletronic archives.
                              http://www.napoleon-series.org/milit...ivesintro.html

If anyone has any thoughts on this, I would like to hear them. Thanks in advance.
                              My avatar: Center of the Cross of the Légion d'honneur (Legion of Honour) of the First French Empire (Napoleonic Era), 3rd type (awarded between 1806-1808). My Légion d'honneur. :-)

Comment

• I would get Guy Dempseys. He has done other Napoleonic titles, the one I have is NAPOLEON'S SOLDIERS - The Grande Armee of 1807 as depicted in the Paintings of the Otto Manuscript. ISBN: 1854092421 which Imho is a minor classic. Anyway, his Albuera book has very good reviews.

Paul

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse