Announcement

Collapse

New Site - PLEASE READ

Hello All,
My name is Ashley and I am the one that moved the forum to its new hosting location. This was done for security reasons and try to keep the forum from going down every other day. I understand that the new forum looks very different from the old one but I promise almost everything you had before you still have it might just be in a different place.

Items that are gone due to a limitation of the new hosting/ forum update:
- Awards
- Flags

As I was going thought your posts I was able to fix a lot fo the issues you were listing. Below is kind of a running list of issues an what is fixed and what I am still working on.

Items that I have fixed from your comments:
- Smilie are now working.
- Color/Theme changes
- Signature are now showing up. (Here is how to edit them https://screencast.com/t/OJHzzhiV1)
- Ranking is now showing up.
- Private messaging is now working.

Some issues I am still working on are:
- Missing items from the Calendar
- Like button the posts is giving an error.

If anyone has any issues that they are running in to please let me know. Please only send real issues not things like I hate the colors of the site or the site looks cheap now. I am trying to get as many issues fixed for you as i can and If i have to read through stuff like that it's going to take me longer to get stuff fixed.

If anyone has any issues that they are running in to please let me know in the post below. Please give me as much detail as possible .
https://forums.armchairgeneral.com/forum/world-history-group-welcomes-you/armchair-general-magazine/5034776-new-site-please-read
See more
See less

Books: Best Books/Links on The Napoleonic Era

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

8) Andrew Roberts: Napoleon & Wellington. A great comparisons study of the first men of the 19th Century.
    A must read, just finished it and it backs up some of the claims made by Hofschroer.

Regards
    James

Comment

Though Roberts is critical of the Duke, It doesn’t mean that he has agreed with the Hofi 'personalised' take on the great man, a la smallest battle. Roberts is seen to be even handed and critical of both men, who, 'after all' got bigger heads and vainer attitudes as their fame progressed, as most people would. And, 'if I have missed it, where does he say that the Duke ’rewrote’ history or did not praise the Prussians.
      I am going to re-read the book & may be we will play “quote” table tennis later on.
      And for the record, I have not dismissed Hofi outright, and, as most others will agree, his Waterloo books are a pretty good read.

Paul
      ‘Tis said his form is tiny, yet
      All human ills he can subdue,
      Or with a bauble or medal
      Can win mans heart for you;
      And many a blessing know to stew
      To make a megloamaniac bright;
      Give honour to the dainty Corse,
      The Pixie is a little shite.

Comment

Originally posted by Dibble201Bty View Post
        9) Charles Esdaile: The Peninsular war. How someone can pack such an overview of ALL the aspects of the campaign in 580 odd pages is amazing.
        Thanks for the recommendation, Paul.
        My avatar: Center of the Cross of the Légion d'honneur (Legion of Honour) of the First French Empire (Napoleonic Era), 3rd type (awarded between 1806-1808). My Légion d'honneur. :-)

Comment

How about Philippe-Paul de Ségur's Napoleon's Russian Campaign and The Encyclopedia of Uniforms of the Napoleonic Wars?

Comment

To name but a few worth reading off the top of my head...

1812 Napoleon's Fatal March on Moscow - Adam Zamoyski
            Swords Around a Throne - Elting
            With Musket, Cannon, and Sword - Nosworthy
            The Battle - Barbero (excellent narrative of Waterloo - reads like a novel)
            1813 Trilogy (Lutzen/Bautzen, Dresden, Leipzig) by Nafziger (painful reading, but chock full of good information)
            Napoleon's Invasion of Russia - Nafziger
            Campaigns of Napoleon - Chandler
            Atlas of the Nap Wars - Elting Espisito

As for "Blundering to Glory" by Connelly, I personally don't buy it at all (in fact I wrote my thesis many years ago shooting it down). I didn't like Blonde's book either (La Grande Armee if i remember correctly).

Comment

Originally posted by firstlegion View Post
              To name but a few worth reading off the top of my head...

1812 Napoleon's Fatal March on Moscow - Adam Zamoyski
              Swords Around a Throne - Elting
              With Musket, Cannon, and Sword - Nosworthy
              1813 Trilogy (Lutzen/Bautzen, Dresden, Leipzig) by Nafziger (painful reading, but chock full of good information)
              Napoleon's Invasion of Russia - Nafziger
              Atlas of the Nap Wars - Elting Espisito

As for "Blundering to Glory" by Connelly, I personally don't buy it at all (in fact I wrote my thesis many years ago shooting it down). I didn't like Blonde's book either (La Grande Armee if i remember correctly).
              Great list. Welcome to the Napoleonic Forums!
              If the art of war were nothing but the art of avoiding risks,glory would become the prey of mediocre minds. Napoleon

Comment

Welcome aboard, firstlegion.
                My avatar: Center of the Cross of the Légion d'honneur (Legion of Honour) of the First French Empire (Napoleonic Era), 3rd type (awarded between 1806-1808). My Légion d'honneur. :-)

Comment

Thanks guys, good to be here. Some interesting discussions going on...

Comment

Originally posted by Dibble201Bty View Post
                    10) Martin Windrow & Gerry Embleton: Military Dress of the Peninsular War. ‘This is personal, as it is the first book that I ever got on the subject way back in 1975. I treasure it beyond all ‘well almost’ other books in my collection.

Paul
                    Paul - I have a similar book.

The book I discovered was a 1st edition of ‘AIRFIX Magazine Guide 4 Napoleonic Wargaming’ by Bruce Quarrie. Bought it in teh Summer of '76 when I was 10 years old.

This book cost me all of $1.00. Not only was it the first book I ever purchased on my own, but it was the book that would open up the world of Wargaming, and the Napoleonic Wars, to me.

To this day this book can usually be found in the book cubby of my bedside table. I read through the book often and sometimes I look through it just to bring back the memories.
                    Last edited by Correus; 11 Jan 09, 22:14.
                    Cheers!
                    Larry

My Wargaming Blog:
                    http://thelongleadline.blogspot.com/

"He who dares not offend cannot be honest." ~Thomas Paine

Comment

Originally posted by Correus View Post
                      Paul - I have a similar book.

The book I discovered was a 1st edition of ‘AIRFIX Magazine Guide 4 Napoleonic Wargaming’ by Bruce Quarrie. Bought it in teh Summer of '76 when I was 10 years old.

This book cost me all of $1.00. Not only was it the first book I ever purchased on my own, but it was the book that would open up the world of Wargaming, and the Napoleonic Wars, to me.

To this day this book can usually be found in the book cubby of my bedside table. I read through the book often and sometimes I look through it just to bring back the memories.
                      Yup! The little Red hardback book. I used to have a semi collection of those Arfix publications which covered figure, tank, sotfskin, WARGAMING & aircraft modelling. (there were other titles in the series but I can't remember what they were) I got them as a job lot for £1.25p (About $2.50) from a second hand book shop in the early 1980s.
                      I no longer have those books, but thanks for the blast from the past.

Paul

Comment

DANG - and here I am trying to collect them!!
                        Cheers!
                        Larry

My Wargaming Blog:

Comment

Originally posted by Correus View Post
                          DANG - and here I am trying to collect them!!
                          If you go to Amazon books you will find quite a comprehensive listing (try ABE books also)They no longer have Napoleonic Wargaming and by the looks of the prices they have become collectors items, they go for prices from a couple of Dollars to a staggering price of almost One Hundred Dollars.

Paul

Comment

ABE books is a close friend of mine.

I will do some additional checking though. Right now I'm concentrating on just getting the small rules books. I do have one of the red ones though - the one dealing with WWI.
                            Cheers!
                            Larry

My Wargaming Blog:

Comment

Originally posted by firstlegion View Post

Two great readings Above all Barbero's one. I find curious that the best book on Waterloo was written by an italian professor of medieval history...

I just add only another book: Napoleon's Marshals by David G. Chandler.
                              A ME LE GUARDIE
                              "Di noi tremò la nostra vecchia gloria. Tre secoli di fede e una vittoria". Gabriele D'Annunzio

Comment

Barbero's book is very good, 'but the best???

Paul

Comment

Working...
                                X